Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

122XB Help

Keyrick

Hello all. I am hoping to get some advice from you seasoned B3 folks out there. Hear is my situation.

I have a B3 and a Leslie 910 that I purchased brand new in 1971. I havent gigged with it for over 25 years, but the pair still function just fine. It is located in my living room, and my wife (and I) are not happy with the cosmetics of the 910. So I have decided to get a 122XB to replace the 910. I want the XB because I like the Stop feature that I have on the 910 and the other 122s dont have that feature, based on the documentation found on the HS website. As you are probably aware, the 910 has a 9 pin connection to the organ and gets its power from the console. The new 122XB has an 11 pin connection and this is where I have a question. According to the HS web site, the 122XB would use an 1188 connector kit to properly connect to the B3. They also have a 9 pin to 11 pin converter available. I called HS and spoke with their tech support and was told that the 1188 kit was for two channel Leslies, which my 910 is. But the 1188 also provides for a Main-Ensemble-Echo function that my current connection kit has. My instinct is to get the 1188 kit, rather than the 9 to 11 converter, as it is one less thing it the connection path.

Do any of you have any experience with my situation? What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. To drive a 3300 from my B3 I use a 611 kit and that works good. I would think a 9 to 11 adapter kit would work fine. BUT I HAVE NEVER DONE IT. Also I'm not an organ mechanic.

If no one else posts an answer you can try the Hammond section at the organforums and hopefully George will respond. George is really helpful when he posts and he knows his stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It is a damn shame that Hammond would not distribute the 3300W here in the US.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Hammond kit is pretty easy, but it uses that awful "Leslie Control Center" box with two toggle switches for main-ensemble-echo and chorale-off-tremolo. Also you have to use the power switch on the Leslie control box to turn the Leslie on and off, even if the organ is off if the button is in the Leslie is on (it has an LED to indicate power on.) If this will be the only Leslie for this B-3 I'd just put in an 11-pin socket and use a 3-position halfmoon for chorale-off-tremolo and use a 120VAC relay connected to the organ's run switch to ground the turn-on pin. If you have a 3-position chorale-off-tremolo halfmoon already from your 910 installation you're partway there.

www.captain-foldback.com has the socket pinouts for all Leslie systems.

I can draw/scan a schematic for the whole thing if you need one.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

It would work, but if it's the unit I'm thinking of it's (a) expensive and (b) introduces unnecessary active electronics into the chain. If you already have a 3-position halfmoon on the organ and you're not going to use the 9-pin 910 anymore, replacing the 9 pin socket with an 11 pin is going to be far cheaper. The wires providing 120VAC to the 9-pin socket can be connected to the coil of a small 120V relay which could fit in the outlet box itself if need be, and would act as the turn-on switch for the 122XB.

What does this organ have for a kit on it now? Does it have the 9-pin socket in the main outlet box near the floor or is it a little box under the downtube next to the expression pedal?

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

First off, thank you very much for the information.

The 9 pin connector on the organ is right next to the expression pedal, not on the floor near the power inlet. Yes, the current kit has the 3 position "Chorale-Off-Tremelo" switch, the 3 position "Main-Ensemble-Echo" switch, and the three position Reverb switch.

The 9 pin to 11 pin adapter is less expensive than the 1188 kit from the suppliers that I have found online. The reason I want the XB for the Off or Stop feature. It would be easier to use than installing the new connector kit however, in the documentation on the 9000 kit that I have found, there is active electronics in the audio path that is 41 years old as well. The 1188 kit would at least provide a newer interface.

Thanks again for your responses.

Rick

I can draw/scan a schematic for the whole thing if you need one.

TP

Todd; do you mean you could draw or scan a schematic for the 1188 kit? I would LOVE to get a copy of that if that's what you meant.

My B-200 was too far gone, so I'm hooking the 715 up to the A-105. I think.

Lonnie

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Not the 1188, but a from-scratch 11-pin kit using a 3-position halfmoon, 11-pin socket mounted in the organ's outlet box, and a 120VAC relay for Leslie turn-on. I don't like the 1188 at all, mainly due to that wretched "Leslie Control Center" toggle-switch box.

The A-105 would need an L-bracket for the 11-pin socket as there is no traditional outlet box with knockouts as in the B and C consoles. Also you may want switching to mute the internal speakers.

The 715 will sound great with the A-105. I have its twin (HL-722, same innards, slightly different cosmetics) connected to my B-3. Very strong and clean with nice rich bass. The Rotosonic lower rotor is different-sounding, but it isn't bad and it overall is a very nice Leslie.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

• 1 month later...

Archived