Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would this work as a keyboard amp?

mikecorbett

Hello all,

I have an opportunity to swap some gear for this bass rig. I have seen some forum members post about using varios bass rigs before for keyboard rigs, such as the Acme B2 etc. I was wondering if I might get good/(useable results from a rig like this by SWR too?

thoughts? experiences?

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have used my Trace bass amp, 2x10+horn & 1x15 cabinet for keys before. Worked OK, frequency response not as even as my PA cabinets. Works very well for Hammond and bass patches, vintage EP sounds like Rhodes & Wurly (many players in the day played into guitar or bass amps). Not quite as well for piano sounds.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use two Acme B-1s, my son uses a B-2 and my regular bass player uses a B-4. I think a difference is that for KB use, the B-1 is a three-way cabinet (as are/were Accugrooves - also a popular bass cab choice among KB players). I find that the balance of one 10" with the MR and HF drivers is perfect for KBs, where as the B-2 (for instance), which s two 10"s, a MR and HF tends to render too much LF for extensive KB usage. In my A/B experiments with all these Acme products at my disposal, I find the two B-1s provides the "sweet spot" ratio of LF drivers to MR/HF.

But I have not heard a better sounding bass rig than:

1) Alembic tube preamp

2) QSC power amp

3) Acme B-4 cab

...not that you asked.

Anyway, just my anecdotal experience.

Yes it will work, but it will color the sound some. The fact that it has a tweeter helps, but these aren't really designed to reproduce a flat, uncolored sound. In fact they are designed specifically to color the sound.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

As mentioned above: it depends on "what for". Great for thumping bass, obviously. Cool for EPs and not bad for Hammond and maybe really good -- you never know until you try. For Hammond if you don't use Leslie sim, probably excellent. It's not ideal for Leslie sim, but again, might work out.

For piano, not so much. Good enough in a pinch, for rock-n-roll rhythm chinking etc. Less so for piano intros or tunes where piano is up front.

Looks like a lot to schlep, too.

I had forgotten that those cabs were three way, indeed that makes sense that they would cover the spectrum better. I will just have to bring my Motif to this guys house and try it out. I was thinking of using it for my Doors projects which is Rhodes, Bass and Vox mostly.. so it might do. The schlep factor seems brutal enough too, so that might rule it out. Ill know when I see the rig in person. Thanks for your input

No. That's a bass rig.

Yeah, I do know that,if you care to read the question again it was directed at those who have/do use bass rigs successfully for keyboards.

Apart from it being a bass rig, would you tell me why you answer with such a definitive "no"? I am genuinely curios that you may have some knowledge to impart as to why this wouldn't work?

Hi Mike,

Not my place to say, but Bass amps typically do a lousy job with pianos, because of their particular EQ characteristics. As others mentioned you may be ok with the SWR as a Rhodes amp.

A keyboard amp is typically expected to reproduce all kinds of keyboard sounds (analog, piano, rhodes, clav, etc.) with a flat response, and most bass amps won't do that. The Acme cabinets are the exception rather than the rule, in that they faithfully reproduce a number of tonal sources.

Try the SWR on a rhodes, see if you like it. :)

Jerry

No. That's a bass rig.

Yeah, I do know that,if you care to read the question again it was directed at those who have/do use bass rigs successfully for keyboards.

Apart from it being a bass rig, would you tell me why you answer with such a definitive "no"? I am genuinely curios that you may have some knowledge to impart as to why this wouldn't work?

Sure.

My answer was short because since this IS a bass rig, you are not going to get anywhere near an uncolored sound from it.

As others explained above, organ sounds may work fine, but piano sounds definitely won't.

This is a bass rig. If a keyboard player showed up in my band with a bass rig, I would tell him to go home and get his keyboard equipment - he brought the wrong rig.

Easy.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

This is a bass rig. If a keyboard player showed up in my band with a bass rig, I would tell him to go home and get his keyboard equipment - he brought the wrong rig.

Well, unless the keyboards were a Rhodes or Wurli and a Vox Continental. Then he'd tell you to wake up, 50 years have passed. :laugh:

Then he'd buy you a beer, of couse. Tom's that kinda guy.

I think a bass rig would be fine for a Doors project. A colored sound is not a bad thing at all when it comes to combo organ sounds. In fact back in the day that's what most of us ran our Continentals and Combo Compacts through (bass amps). It beefs them up and takes some of the shrillness out.

It's just not the preferred choice for acoustic pianos, strings, brass, etc.

Well, unless the keyboards were a Rhodes or Wurli and a Vox Continental. Then he'd tell you to wake up, 50 years have passed. :laugh:

Then he'd buy you a beer, of couse. Tom's that kinda guy.

Well... yeah.

It's the right thing to do. :cool:

Mike, go listen to it.

If you like what you hear, buy it. :thu:

OK... beer all 'round. :laugh:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived