Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weird Question for Live-Sound Mavens

Okay dudes and dudettes, I got a question today that stumped me. And now, of course, I have to know. Somebody asked if there were inherent benefits to running gear/PAs at different voltages. For instance, could the same rig sound better running in England at 240V instead of in the U.S. at 110V? Specific gear aside, is there anything particularly good or bad [for PA equipment] about various Euro voltages vs. U.S. voltages? My glib answer was that when I travel overseas I usually just hope I have the right transformer and that nothing blows up, but I'd really like to know if there's merit to the concept. Thanks for any help! Marv

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I know ther will be no difference either way. Any electronic gear will have one of several types of power supplies. A linear type P.S. will have different taps on the primary for different voltages and on the output it will supply the correct voltage or voltages to the circuits. A switching supply can either be the same or it can be a universal type wich can accept any voltage within the typical ranges and will regulate the output to supply the same required voltages. If you use either the linear or a non-universal P.S.U. with the incorrect voltage you will either blow the fuse on the P.S. or damage it or the equipment or both.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Marv, Like Mac said. You stand a chance of getting susceptible audio if the voltage being provided is [i]less than required[/i]. Amps start clipping early. Digital equipment may start going whack etc. I try to have as much of my rig having the 100-240V / 50-60hz switching power supplies as possible. If not, then I have those units marked on the power cables, and on the respective racks as "110V ...60Hz ONLY) for example. As a rule, when I'm handling production for a tour / gig outside of the USA, I always spec a 110V 60Hz 1000-1500VA power transformer for the stage, and one for the House console area. If I'm working in the USA, and handling production for a foriegn act, in addition to a healthy dose of our power, I always add xfromers to the stage (both sides) and FOH providing the power that act may need. NYC Drew [ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: NYC Drew ]

Archived