Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Festival $

Chad Thorne

So we've been invited to play at a jazz & blues festival in New Brunswick this summer, big one. The contact guy wants to know how much money we want. Our front guy/gtr. says he's thinking of asking $2K. That sounds great, but I have no way of knowing what's typical for festivals. I'm only familiar with the short money we eke out of clubs.

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? It does involve crossing the border, not as easy as it once was.

Here's the thing: http://www.jazzbluesedmundston.com/en/index.php

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Festivals can be all over the place depending on the overall budget - there's no rule of thumb. There are some we don't do because they pay far less than our bar gigs, and others that pay quite a bit more. The best advice I could give would be to look at the caliber of bands that have played it in the past, and see if you can determine their typical price. Also, some bands will get paid more than others - the well known headliners will get paid best and they'll want to fill the rest of the slots with cheaper bands. Try to determine where you rank in the lineup.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

80s-LZ had some great advice. I'll ad that you should also factor in what it will actually cost you (gas, meals, motel). I'm not sure if there are any other considerations for "working" across the border, that is if you are going to be honest when explaining your gear to the guys at the border.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Just spoke to a rep at Canadian Immigration and was told if we're going to be playing an outdoor festival, not a bar, etc., all we need is a letter of invitation from the festival, not a work permit. They'll want an inventory of our equipment, which is easy because we're only taking guitars, backline is provided.

SOUNDS easy enough...

When we were stuck in Customs, they said to call the person who hired us. We were playing for a Jewish organization. We said we couldn't, they won't answer the phone on the Sabbath. We went back and forth for a while, and then a customs agent at the back of the room yelled out, "are you playing any religious music?"

We took the hint and said yes (actually we were going to play some of that music already), and the guy at the counter said, "there's no fee if you are playing religious music" and let us through.

It is much easier to cross the boarder when being a member of the AFM and use a union contract. Even though the AFM includes the US & Canada it is more difficult and costly for Canadian musicians to cross into the US that it is for Americans to go into Canada.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

When we were stuck in Customs, they said to call the person who hired us. We were playing for a Jewish organization. We said we couldn't, they won't answer the phone on the Sabbath. We went back and forth for a while, and then a customs agent at the back of the room yelled out, "are you playing any religious music?"

We took the hint and said yes (actually we were going to play some of that music already), and the guy at the counter said, "there's no fee if you are playing religious music" and let us through.

Beats the hell out of a TSA religious cavity search.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Glad I read this thread! The band has been toying with the idea of playing some gigs in Toronto & Montreal, but if we have significant customs issues to deal with in order to play a gig north of the border, we might have to skip it simply as a business consideration.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

When I lived in Detroit, we used to play in Windsor a few times a year. Granted this was a long time ago and lots of things have changed, but we were still asked to pull over the van and so they could "take a look" on more than one occasion.

We ended up having the club give us a notarized letter saying we were to work a certain date and we carried a list (manifest?) of all the gear on board.

Seemed to help some.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I did a little searching, and it seems that a U.S. band that's playing a bar/club gig can expect to pay $450 Canadian in order to get a work permit to play gigs in Canada.

Just spoke to a rep at Canadian Immigration and was told if we're going to be playing an outdoor festival, not a bar, etc., all we need is a letter of invitation from the festival, not a work permit.

Hey Chad, I curious of the lineup. Are you guys the main attraction the day you're playing, or one of the filler bands for the schedule?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived