Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Played it,liked it, bought it...

harvey

Hey there....further to my post on the Peavey Windsor Studio, I played it last night and it was great. Happily paid the $250 asked for. It has a replacement Jensen speaker and had the attenuator disabled. From all I've read on the net these are the most common mods for this puppy. A new Jenson is worth $225 rrp down here so I'm pretty happy with the deal. The guy I bought it from was super friendly and gave me a spare EL34, two KT66s and a JJ 12 whatever for the preamp. He even emailed me today to check if I wanted him re rewire the attenuator. We might end up jamming sometime...

Without any reference to the stock amp, I can't tell what these mods have achieved but I can say it sounded great. The bottom end was focused but certainly there...and the top end wasn't as OTT as some of the online reviews have suggested. I'm guessing a decent speaker is making a difference as Lefty had discovered.

This is my first weekend without a gig for ages but I'll report back once I play it in the real world.

Thanks Lefty & Caev for the info and advice...

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad it worked out well Harv, the seller is one decent guy! Great amp for the bucks IMHO, sounds good at low levels obviously and I would think it has sufficient kahoonies to play small clubs and doesn't weigh a ton. Also has a spring reverb, no digital crap onboard which I like. enjoy!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

That's great, glad for ya!

Now, why is it that a number of people have the on-board attenuator disabled? I would have thought that it would be a desirable, selling-point feature. Does it unduly color the sound and/or feel of the amp even when it's not being used?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

That's great, glad for ya!

Now, why is it that a number of people have the on-board attenuator disabled? I would have thought that it would be a desirable, selling-point feature. Does it unduly color the sound and/or feel of the amp even when it's not being used?

Good question Caev-o-matic, I would not think to remove it from the circuit myself.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

It is a good question but without a before and after comparison I can't really say. The original owner said it brightened the amp up. I kind of got the idea that it was a fairly bright amp to begin with. I'm not so much interested in slamming the power tubes anyway so I don't think I'll miss the attenuation. Might have liked such a feature on my single Rectifier!

I really like the feel and tones as it is so I'm looking forward to next weeks gigs...one mic'd up at a noisy club and one at a wedding reception - with no micing.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Archived