Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My wife is making me...

SteveC

...take a couple days off of work and being Daddy (Grace has been quite a handful lately) and going to "the big city" to hear some jazz. Heading out on Thursday morning after my 2nd hour rehearsal to downtown Minneapolis (4 1/2 hours later) to The Dakota Jazz Club to hear Jeff Lorber with Yellowjackets bassist Jimmy Haslip, saxophonist Bob Franceschini, trumpeter Randy Brecker, and drummer Gary Novak. I know some of us don't particularly care for "smooth/contemporary" jazz, but I do and these are some killer players.

My usual hotel has a room - just 3 blocks from the club - which is really handy. Shows at 7 and 9. Pretty good food at the club as well. I might find a little time Thursday or Friday to "window shop" as well, though I was told in no uncertain terms not to buy a 6 string Roscoe after hearing Jimmy play.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a Yellow Jackets fan for years, I think I remember you and I having this discussion previously. I've been friends with Russell Ferrante for years and he did some gigs with my wife and me. Please say hi to him for me if you get the opportunity. Enjoy the trip and the show.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Like Wally, I too am a big Yellow Jackets/Haslip fan.

That trip sounds great - I wish I could be there!

As far as the sixer Roscoe: Have you seen the new price/options list?

:o

Oops - sorry to bring that up. Apologize to the wifey for me.

Oh yeah - pics. We need pics. Lots 'o pics.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Sonny Boy had Bob Franceschini as a teacher at Victor's music camp last year. Said he was a great guy as well as a great player and that he learned a lot from him.

And, yes, good on Mrs. C!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

....Jeff Lorber with Yellowjackets bassist Jimmy Haslip, saxophonist Bob Franceschini, trumpeter Randy Brecker, and drummer Gary Novak. I know some of us don't particularly care for "smooth/contemporary" jazz, but I do and these are some killer players...

Yes, great players and the music probably will not be smooth, it will be burning!

Have fun and make sure that you reciprocate with your wife!

The show was awesome. Brecker is a fantastic player. Both horns used effects - reverb, pitch shifting, synth, etc. sounded cool. Not overused. Jimmy was amazing. That Roscoe....

The new tunes (Galaxy is the new cd) were nice.

Going shopping for a few things for the kids, some chocolate for my wonderful wife, and hopefully a little time to finger a few basses before I leave. I still don't own one.....

Well, I am still a bass player so I should own a bass at some point and quit mooching off my friends. There's a nice Roscoe Century Standard 4 I'm interested in. I've enjoyed my little trip into passive land for the last couple months, but I'm thinking I'm an active kind of guy.

I am pretty comfy on a 4 these days so I think I'll stay in that land for a while. There was one time in the last few weeks where I wanyted to use a low D at church so I just tuned down and it worked fine.

Archived