Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new rig - picture

Tobias Åslund

Hi!

I rehearsed this afternoon with my new rig - it was really nothing but pure fun! So I thought I should share a picture:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3156/img1032uy.jpg

This constellation is new, but the only new thing is the VoiceLive Touch, which is fantastic! I've heard that TC produces nice harmonizers, but this one's better then I imagined. A few months ago I borrowed a Digitech Vocalist 3D and that sucked! This one, however, I really enjoy. Was worried about feedback issues, but no - no problems with that, whatsoever. :)

The rest of the stuff in the picture: Kurz PC88, Nord Stage 2, Danelectro SpringKing, Neo Ventilator (with my DIY not-so-half-moon), Yamaha MG82CX, custom flightcase/pedalboard. All of these are placed on a K&M 18950 with upper tier and the case pedalboard rests on a Proel EL250, which soon will be replaced by a K&M baby spider. The microphone also needs to be replaced, it's a cheap-ass Shure C606

There are also a few more minor changes I need to make - and tidy up the cabling. It's a bit of a mess right now... but the most important thing - this rig is wonderful to play! :)

Not seen in picture: A pair of EV ZXA1-90B on K&M tripod stands

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is any spring reverb a good reverb? ;)

It's a spring reverb with lots of character. :) It sits between the Nord and the Vent. With this configuration I can choose to have the more traditional spring reverb pre Leslie, or the Yamaha mixer's reverb post Leslie. The Yamaha reverb is always on and then I dial in more or less spring reverb when needed.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Thanks! :) I had to post, since I can't add much to the "my rig twenty years ago" thread. I was born in '78, so twenty years ago... well... :)

Anyway - I can easily say this is my most competent rig so far. Finally I have the sounds and feel I wanted when I first dreamed of becoming a gigging musician. Today instead, I have become an engineer... :) Well, at least it has giving me a decent salary so I can afford stuff like this. Nowadays I do about one gig a month, which is just enough for me, I think.

I'll post more pictures when the new stand has arrived and the cabling is done. Cheers!

Hi!

I rehearsed this afternoon with my new rig - it was really nothing but pure fun! So I thought I should share a picture:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3156/img1032uy.jpg

This constellation is new, but the only new thing is the VoiceLive Touch, which is fantastic! I've heard that TC produces nice harmonizers, but this one's better then I imagined. A few months ago I borrowed a Digitech Vocalist 3D and that sucked! This one, however, I really enjoy. Was worried about feedback issues, but no - no problems with that, whatsoever. :)

The rest of the stuff in the picture: Kurz PC88, Nord Stage 2, Danelectro SpringKing, Neo Ventilator (with my DIY not-so-half-moon), Yamaha MG82CX, custom flightcase/pedalboard. All of these are placed on a K&M 18950 with upper tier and the case pedalboard rests on a Proel EL250, which soon will be replaced by a K&M baby spider. The microphone also needs to be replaced, it's a cheap-ass Shure C606

There are also a few more minor changes I need to make - and tidy up the cabling. It's a bit of a mess right now... but the most important thing - this rig is wonderful to play! :)

Not seen in picture: A pair of EV ZXA1-90B on K&M tripod stands

[video:youtube]

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

What would sit really nice on the top shelf is a Moog MiniTaur. I wonder when it will be out - and what the European retail price will be.

I'm also thinking about an Akai MPC style midi pad array, for triggering samples and controlling the looper in the VoiceLive. A Korg Kaoss Pad 3 could also be nice... :)

Other stuff I already have and am thinking on placing there is the V256 vocoder (with gooseneck mic of course!), UseAudio Plugiator, mostly for the wonderful MiniMax MiniMoog-plugin; V-machine for a broader palette of analog sounds, or maybe even my MacBook.

None of the above are really needed, the Stage manages very good on it's own, but I like gadgets - and there's still some free space on the board! :)

Ah, I almost forgot! I have an old Voce Midi drawbar I must find some place for! But I will need a midi processor for that to work correctly with the Stage 2.

And in the works is a DIY midi control box with a Korg style joystick and breath controller in. It will the sit where the VoiceLive is now. I prefer joystick over wheels, so it would probably sit over the the PC88's wheels. The controller will be built around a Doepfer Wheel Electronics. I will post pictures when the box is finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: While work continues on this, my main rig - mainly rearranging the "pedal board" and incorporating EHX V256 vocoder and Novation A-station, I am working on two smaller rigs:

The first one is a stand up, smaller rig of the above. I realised that my K&M 2 tier 18880 works great backwards! So the pedal board of the big rig is sitting on the bottom tier, and then the Nord sits on the 2nd, in full tilt towards the audience. So not only does it looks good, with the Nord covering most of the pedal board, it is also lightweight and easy to move after setting up. (The big rig can't be move without disconnecting and removing the pedal board, since it is now sitting on a Spider stand - the Spider's tiers do not lock in playing position - they can still flex upwards, so there's really no "handle" to lift the stand with).

Then the light rig - since the pedal board above is quite heavy in its flight case (the board is actually the lid of a big utility case) - I just got the idea of a smaller rig for rehearsal. Lower tier: Nord, upper tier: a shelf with a MacBook. The big pedal board will then stay put in my other rehearsal space while this is mobile.

I will then use the pianos of the Nord and use MainStage for other sounds, mainly organ (VB3).

Of course I could just use the Nord organ, but since getting the Ventilator I just can't stand the internal leslie sim. I do think the VB3 1.4 sounds better. Besides the MacBook I will put a small FW interface and mixer (currently Behringer FCA202 + Xenyx 802, will be upgraded) and a Voce Midi Drawbar on the shelf. Now to the good part: I realised I can use the the drawbuttons of the Nord as well, by having one panel's organ enabled, but not assigned to the keyboard - then I will use the external section to play the VB3. I figure with controller assignments / remapping in MainStage I could then get two sets of drawbars (well, sort of, one is of course drawbuttons)! It will be really nice to see if this works! Pictures will come in a week or so! :)

As I said, there's still work to be done on this rig - the cables are a big mess!

Anyway, as promised - here are some more images:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5749/rigtop.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3662/rigback.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/994/rigright.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6849/rigleft.jpg

• 1 year later...

Update: in the beginning of februari I bought a use Korg M3-88 which now has replaced the Kurz PC88 and earlier I got a Mackie mixer to replace the Yamaha. Now the rig looks likes this:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7104/minrigmars2013.jpg

Archived