Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

piano advice...

rockkeys

Does a yamaha U1 have the same action as a C1 baby grand? I'm considering selling my C1 and grabbing an upright (space issues in the studio...) These pianos are purely for practice, not recording. If you have played both the C1 and the U1, please let me know if the actions are the same. If they are different, how might this affect technique? Also, what is a fair/realistic price for a 5 year old C1 that was bought new?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if you're not married to the C1 and you want a CP80, then you know what to do.

The difference between a console or upright and a grand in terms of feel is fluidity. Even a well-regulated console is always a bit stodgy or stiff. It's just the nature of the mechanism. But a good grand action that's properly regulated is smooth and fluid.

The Yamaha uprights are the best I've played for feeling like a grand but that's only compared to other uprights. Uprights used to be too light, so they compensated, increasing the weight and helping the dynamics, but it's still different than a grand, and good dynamic control is harder.

The main difference is that on a grand, the hammers sit horizontally, and gravity keeps them down until you strike the key. On an upright, they're vertical, and springs are required. Just not quite the same thing.

I had a CP70 as my main instrument for nearly 20 years, and loved it. Today I'd much rather have a good digital, even though it's a compromise on the action. While a CP70 is a great instrument in its own right, it just doesn't sound like a grand piano.

BTW, the extra keys on a CP80 are hardly worth using. As much as I'd have loved to have that bottom C, when I finally got a chance to play one and heard how it sounded, I lost my craving for a CP80.

If you want a free CP80, talk to kanker.
He doesn't want anything to do with anyone that might want it. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I owned a CP70B cause of the action but got tired of the sound. I can't remember if it has midi. But if it does, using a CP80 with a softpiano then you might have something special. Of course there's the natural sound of the CP to deal with.
I don't know how the MIDI on the CP80M worked, but if it was keyboard-sensor-based (rather than based on the string volume), it wouldn't be hard to make a mute for it.

The CP70 is a two-piece unit, where the action is in a rectangular box with legs. The harp is another piece that sits on top and extends past the back of the action box. It sits on hinges at the back of the action box, and it's a one-hand motion to tilt it from horizontal to vertical, exposing the strings from underneath and action below.

With only a little skill you could probably make a mute to put under the strings (but not interfering with the damper rods that push up on the dampers from the action below). It would need to be thin enough to exceed the escapement distance, firm enough not to droop onto the hammers, and soft enough on the bottom to absorb the hammer blows without damaging them or making too much noise.

Archived