Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Thinking about guitar

SteveC

You may or may not know I have quit all my gigging bands and taking a break from that whole "scene" for a while. I'm keeping (when I decide what) a bass and my amp - I have learned a little over the years and am not doing a complete sell off on a whim.

However, on another "whim" I am looking for something new and/or a little different to take up. I was thinking about guitar. Not a total departure from bass but still new/different enough to be challenging.

Not really sure why I'm posting, just curious about who else plays guitar, what you do with it, stuff like that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't play a six-string, but I say go for it. I can't help but think your knowledge of bass would positively affect your guitar playing, and vice versa. And maybe time with another instrument will contribute to a greater appreciation for your bass. You never know unless you try.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Indeed; more knowledge is better. No doubt about it.

And lots of us on this forum play guitar. I've been gigging way more on guitar than bass this past year. I can switch quickly between the two without any "this feels weird" thoughts.

To become a better bass player, also consider taking up drums. Any beginner book for snare stuff, and a book called "Single Surface Learning" (I think that's the name) for kit.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I play guitar...it's an instrument I learned after learning bass...with so many hours looking at guitar players' hands, it was easy to learn the basics.

For a short time as a youth, I was a sensitive singer/songwriter.

In various bands, I have traded instruments with the guitarist for a song or two....often one on which I sang....it's way easier to play rhythm guitar and sing than to play bass and sing.

When I teach bass lessons, I'll often pull out the guitar and have the students play along.

And for a short time a year and a half ago, I had a gig accompanying a singer.

I also play guitar which was my first instrument before bass.

Unfortunately I haven't played it much over the years. I'm very rusty and should pick my guitar up more often. I found it came in handy playing bass as I could follow the guitar player because I knew what the chord was that he was playing.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

do it. or piano. (do you have to know how to play piano to be a music teacher?)

I know enough, could always be better of course. I have thought about piano as well. I guess I am leaning to guitar as it's a little more portable and there's maybe more potential down the road to play with friends, use it at school (we want to add a beginning guitar class eventually) etc.

I also debated drums as that would certainly help my bass playing, but I think I have more desire for guitar. The kids both love to sing and it would be fun to be able to play along with them. My wife also used to play so she could maybe pick it up again as well.

I have been a guitar player for long before a friend asked me if I was willing to play bass in his band. I had to learn a lot since then, especially to play less, to watch the groove and leave rubato to other band members and not to bend strings as I did.

I had a rough time with my middle finger tendons for a couple of weeks when I learned the last one.

I like playing a hollow body Ibanez Joe Pass with heavy flatwounds and I think it shares a lot of amplification preferences with the bass.

I have a Strato that is quite different. I was a big fan of Hendrix. I think I am much more into humbuckers and semiacoustics today, and would not buy again a guitar with tremolo, maybe a Tele or an SG.

When I play scales on guitar the asimmetry of the second strings bothers me. I am tempted to tune EADGCF.

If you want to expand your horizons, piano is an instrument which no musician can ignore. It is very rewarding and an invaluable tool, without the limitations of guitar. It takes a good teacher to learn the strict basics and some accompaniment without dying on the Czerny and scales.

I am studying piano as a second instrument and I am surprised of how much I have learned in so little time, but my teacher does not try to turn me into a pianist, the aim of the course is to enable me to sit on piano ten minutes if the real pianist is stuck in the traffic.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

I played guitar way before I learned bass... it was a surprise to me when the bass claimed itself as my rightful instrument.

But I am relearning guitar now, because I never got around to lead rock guitar; I only know folk guitar, rhythm guitar, jazz guitar, and classical guitar.

I have quite a collection since last year, as I'm trying to nail all the classic tones. But I have a couple of favourites that I feel are the mopst versatile and musical in my collection for everything from clean to metal:

Schecter S/H-1

Gretsch Tennessee Rose

In a slightly more traditional vein, I recommend the following value instruments for Les Paul, Strat, and Tele sounds:

Schecter Tempest

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat

Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele

All of the above instruments have great necks and versatile pickups, so are especially good for someone covering a range of material and who is not primarily a lead guitarist trying to set down their own signature sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've been messing around with guitar a lot lately as well. I'm using an old Gibson Heritage. I am learning standard major and minor scales, and starting to get around the pentatonic stuff.

I am also thinking about acoustic/electric or even classical/electric. My main problem is that my fingers are so big that I have to work a little harder at doing certain chord fingerings, etc. so it's taking a while. (For reference, my wedding ring is a size 15- had to special order it.) It's a bummer, because I like rhythm guitar and that interests me more than lead stuff...

it's a bummer because I like the sound of a strat but the neck doesn't work very well for me as far as cords, etc. But I don't like the Gibson shorter scale, but like the wide neck. What a dilemma.

But it's been fun to learn, for sure. :rawk:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I am learning standard major and minor scales, and starting to get around the pentatonic stuff.

I like rhythm guitar and that interests me more than lead stuff...

I am not really interested in becoming a lead player, either. Not worried so much about scales at this point...more chord and rhythm stuff, maybe try writing a song...

I watched a PBS thing on James Taylor and Carole King talking about the early 70's and the popularity of the singer/songwriter/Troubadour thing. Pretty inspiring. I have never been or thought of myself as very creative or original as I've always spent my time learning to play other people's music, but the challenge of writing a song is more appealing to me right now than playing the same old tunes on bass.

Teaching a beginning guitar class at your school would draw a lot of kids into the music program.

We've been trying to get one added for a couple years. We need to get my teaching assignment changed so I can be in one building all day/week instead of traveling to other schools to make it work. We also have issues with the paranoid band program that thinks it will steal students from them.

Hopefully we can get it all worked out soon. I think it's a great idea. So often in high school we only teach those that have been in band, choir and orchestra since 4th or 5th grade. We are leaving out all kinds of kids by not having something like a guitar class or "school of rock" kind of class.

So, Steve, it looks like its is just a matter of choosing the right guitar.

You mention acoustics and is really sounds like this is your decision. I would also want a couple of pickups to be able to sound loud or record easily. Here other members might be more competent.

All I can say is that in the jazz class an old Guild with a single coil pickup in the soundhole does not sound any different from good hollow bodies and really has some Jim Hall reminiscence while it has a regular dreadnought sound when unplugged. Lots of feedback at high volume, check for a phase inversion switch somewhere on your chain.

A singer I played with had a Godin with an internal mic and a piezo pickup. Acoustic sounds were nailed and the mic was able to tame the nasty zinginess of the piezo.

Finally, if you like jazz, I tried some thin archtops in the music school and they too do sound great without amplification. Maybe not too folk but with a sound that might be worth checking out.

I do like jazz. Not sure if I'm going to go that direction if I get a guitar. I know you can play them "unplugged" but I think I may want a true acoustic (with a pickup of some kind built in just in case I record or play at church or something) instead of an arch top or hollow body or something.

There is a Taylor dealer in town and I find them very easy to play and they sound great. I know a few guys that play Taylor acoustic/electrics and they sound amazing.

The other direction is interesting though. I guess I imagined myself doing more "acoustic/unplugged" type playing than jazz stuff. An interesting thought.

i've taken a few classical & flamenco guitar lessons to help with my fingering & speed. and a few percussion classes to help my timing. the cheapest way to start drumming is a pair of sticks, a practice pad & George Lawrence Stone's "Stick Control". for less than a set of strings it shouldn't take long to decide if it's for you. (you could spend less for a guitar, but would you?)
"All music is folk music; I ain't never heard no horse sing a song."- Louis Armstrong

(you could spend less for a guitar, but would you?)

You know me. I like a certain level of quality. :cool:

Seriously, I have played a few around town and there's just no comparison when it comes to the feel of the neck. Sound wise, yes, a more inexpensive Yamaha or Takamine would be fine, but they don't have the feel of aTaylor.

i've taken a few classical & flamenco guitar lessons to help with my fingering & speed. and a few percussion classes to help my timing. the cheapest way to start drumming is a pair of sticks, a practice pad & George Lawrence Stone's "Stick Control". for less than a set of strings it shouldn't take long to decide if it's for you. (you could spend less for a guitar, but would you?)

Stick Control can also be used on bass. Near the beggining of the book are two bar phrases that have every possible combination of left & right. Playing the left as thumb and the right as the pull play octaves. This is a great way to get the wrist loosened up for slap & pop.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Stick Control can also be used on bass. Near the beggining of the book are two bar phrases that have every possible combination of left & right.

I have bought a pad and a couple of Vic Firth sticks and am paradiddling my way through the 40 rudiments. I don't know if it will make me sit at the drums while the drummer is not around with any confidence, I don't know if it will give me "a different perspective on rhythm", but for sure I can say that doing french rolls for fifteen minutes in a row is better than Yoga at relaxing my mind and loosening my body.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this. I have guitarists in the family - one worked at a music retailer. He found that Ibanez makes some fine acoustic/electrics for a great price. Maybe start there - you can always trade up if it sticks.

As for portable, recorder would cover both singer/songwriter stuff as well as some classical. Accessible for students as well. But I'd be tempted to try harp (harmonica). You need some wild-ass blues to break out your emotions and really let loose - get your mojo working!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'm late to this. I have guitarists in the family - one worked at a music retailer. He found that Ibanez makes some fine acoustic/electrics for a great price. Maybe start there - you can always trade up if it sticks.

As for portable, recorder would cover both singer/songwriter stuff as well as some classical. Accessible for students as well. But I'd be tempted to try harp (harmonica). You need some wild-ass blues to break out your emotions and really let loose - get your mojo working!

Tom

Not sure I'm the wild-ass blues type of guy. :crazy:

I went pretty expensive with a guitar so I hope it sticks. Taylor 314ce. It plays so well - far and away better than others I tried - and sounds so nice. Already learned a few simple tunes. It's fun to have to really think and work again. Not that I know everything about bass, but you know what I mean.

My wife has a Taylor 412ce - like you say, expensive, but worth it. It puts my Ovation to shame in ease of playing. I haven't done much lately with either bass or guitar - needed more time on keys; but I don't regret any of the time I've spent on any of the instruments - still so much more to learn. A different type of instrument leads a person to play in a different manner, and some of the learning spills over to the other instruments.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

A different type of instrument leads a person to play in a different manner, and some of the learning spills over to the other instruments.

Agree with this 100%. I started on guitar and still play a lot, but it was only after studying bass in depth that the guitar fretboard came alive to me. It's actually helped my lead guitar skills the most - gave me a knowledge of where the notes are and how they make up the chords.

Hope you enjoy guitar, Steve! My only advice is learn chords the "proper" way, especially bar chords, and try not to get lazy when it comes to that learning (speaking from experience).

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Archived