Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best ROMpler or Sampler for Brass Sounds?

Lord_Nord

I'm pretty sold on the Motif though...I mean purely because it would have so many applications outside of my Elvis gig. It would only take 2 or 3 gigs to pay for it.

You're obviously making better money than most from gigging.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is kind of funny, but I was about to bid on a Motif XS6 on Ebay, and I had asked the seller about his price. Long story short, he told me that the brass and strings sections of the XS6 are taken right from the Motif ES6...only they added a few more samples. He said I'd get everything I'm looking for out of the ES6 for about half the price...and he's not even selling one lol.

Anyone have a Motif ES that can comment on that?

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

One of the main differences between the ES and XS voice structure is the number of elements you can layer to make a voice. The ES has 4, the XS 8. Yes, a lot of the base samples were ported over, but those samples sound great, now with the XS you have more flexibility in using them. There is also more effects possibilties with the XS. Both are pretty deep synths if you dive into them. They have a computer based editor that makes it real easy.

But, if you want a plug and play keyboard, where you don't have to do any (or very little) editing to get good sounds, the ES would cover that. It's real easy with either board to take a couple brass voices and make a fat performance of layered horns. Take a sax section, a couple brass sections tuned to different octaves, and a trumpet layer, blend them together and you'll have a pretty huge sound.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My only complain about the Yamaha is that they are big, and weight too much.

The weight was the reason I bought a new MOX instead of a used XS.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm a Motif XS6 owner.... and I also have a Kurzweil K2661. The Motif XS sees the light of day more often as it's easier to program and has a big display screen.

I still prefer the OS and touch screen of my Korg M3, but for more accurate acoustic brass sounds, the XS would likely be a better choice for you.

What about strings sounds? Synth (Pad/Leads) capability? And I thought Yamahas were notoriously difficult to "dig into"?

The Motif offers great strings and pads, but if you're looking for more synth-based stuff, that's where the Korg M3 shines. It comes loaded with incredible pads, motion sounds, sweeps, etc. It's a breeze to program and lets you split, layer or split/layer up to 16 patches.

And yes, the Motif doesn't offer the friendliest user interface. Kurzweil is worse with lots of menu diving and a small display screen.

Yeah I guess I was getting ahead of myself a bit. I really don't need synth for this tour, just acoustic samples, but the M3 sounds like it would be a great acquisition in the future! And while the Yamaha UI sucks, a good friend of mine owns one and can hopefully give me a tutorial if I buy it.

Yamaha Motifs UI is really quite good, and for live work, its excellent! If it was bad wouldnt the 100s of professional touring musicians would switch to something else. It seriously very easy to navigate around a Motif, much easier than a Kurz I find.

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Perhaps the best board is the M06, which sounds identical in any patches that have the same name to my XS7. Its lightweight, and it has four volume sliders for controlling part volumes. You can layer sounds just like DanL described, same as the ES. The major difference is different keybed, but its much lighter(trade off), external power supply. And no sampling, which isnt a biggie for unless you have custom samples.

You can probably find one for $5-600!

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

So this is kind of funny, but I was about to bid on a Motif XS6 on Ebay, and I had asked the seller about his price. Long story short, he told me that the brass and strings sections of the XS6 are taken right from the Motif ES6...only they added a few more samples. He said I'd get everything I'm looking for out of the ES6 for about half the price...and he's not even selling one lol.

Anyone have a Motif ES that can comment on that?

I love my ES...Actually ended up selling my XS and keeping the ES around. The overall sound of the ES seemed warmer and a bit fatter than the XS. (very subjective I know) You can't go wrong with the ES......and save a bit of money over the XS.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the demo version of Wallander yesterday. Was I impressed? No... did I like it? Not really. A recent rompler sounds better I think.

What do you think of a combination of GSI MilesTones and SampleModeling saxes?

hmm, maybe this thread is focusing on hardware instruments..?

Well, I kinda like the sections of my trusty Korg TR. I should try them together with my old EX5r :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Archived