Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is playing NYE?

Ross Brown

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be at home with the family which is fine by me.....

Hey Dano - Happy New Year to you. Give me a shout next time you're down here in S-FLA.

No gig this year - I've taken the last 18 months off (except for a few one-offs) due to burn-out and the day gig. Come January that all changes. Apparently I'm not the only bass player down here who's taken time off and the options are good.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Playing with local artist Mike James and his son Brenton at Caputo's East Ridge Cafe in Ridgefield, CT. We'll cover everything from Roger Miller to Guns and Roses.

Same place we played last NYE.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Yes, the band is playing its first NYE gig ever! The owner of the restaurant called us up about a month ago and practically begged us to appear. When we asked about payment he said: "you'll give me a number and I'll say yes," so we will all walk out with a little cash (and will not have to pay our sound man out of our take).

Only downside: not much rehearsal time because of the holidays. We are squeezing in a couple of sessions.

Other downside: my wife doesn't enjoy the venue (it's a major meet market for single 40- and 50-somethings) and so is declining to attend, which I am bummed about.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Playing at the 96th St Bar & Grille in Stone Harbor this year, with my blues band. In the winter all the tourists have gone home so we have the place to ourselves. It will be fun if our drummer doesn't take too many pain pills.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

I'm playing - horn band gig at a small restaurant. Doubtful well have any hotties, mostly a quiet, older crowd. Last one for me for a while. I'm not playing next year - unless it's the most amazing gig every for a crap load of money.

Playing at the 96th St Bar & Grille in Stone Harbor this year, with my blues band. In the winter all the tourists have gone home so we have the place to ourselves. It will be fun if our drummer doesn't take too many pain pills.

Stone Harbor is a nice place. You play there during the summer at all?

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Not for quite a while, this is a newly refurbished place, new owner. We delivered a solid performance tonight and he may try to work in some blues night in the summer. We were in Cape May mostly this past season.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

My band played a country club in a small town called Carrollton, Mo last night. We had a smallish crowd, folks mostly 40 and older. After eating a very well-prepared dinner from the dinner buffet, we started playing. They didn't dance much, applauded sometimes, and were in general a shade TOO well-behaved. By the middle of the 2nd set, I thought we were going over like the proverbial lead balloon. A little after midnight, after singing Auld Lang Syne, The crowd ate breakfast and started leaving.

Now, a few folks had been stopping by our table while we were on breaks, saying how much they were enjoying our music, but I took it as a few nice folks being kind. We ate a sumptuous breakfast at the buffet they had set up, and by the time we were done, the room was pretty much empty. We asked the manager if he wanted us go ahead and played till 1, and he said not to bother. We figured it was a bust gig, and started packing up. When we were done, the manager brought out our check, and the strangest thing happened.

He told us how much the crowd had enjoyed us, how many compliments he and the staff had gotten about us, apparently more than they usually got when bands played there. He apologized for the size of the crowd, and said that they usually had 200 or more there for holidays. He finished up by saying he wanted to get us back there again soon. We left with $150 each after being fed very well twice and apparently, pleasing an audience well beyond what we were able to tell from their response.

Go figure.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Not a bad night ...

We hired as a 5 piece with keys, then the keys left due to lack of a day job. Went out as a four piece (2 guits, bass, skins). Some of the testimonials:

"You guys are the best band I've ever heard in here, and I've been coming here seven years now" - This includes the lead's old band that normally had this book.

"Do you do any Johnny Cash?" - Right after we covered "Folsom Prison Blues".

"Do you guys know any good slow songs?" - This was right after the fifth or six song of the set. I responded with "No, we know a lot of good fast songs, and a lot of bad slow songs, but no good slow ones". I wonder why they keep me around.

All told, they paid the original contract (5 piece money), signed a contract that night for NYE next year for the same money (as a four piece) and two special events this winter. And $12.50 each in gas money. Crowd and management were very positive. Once everyone was lubed up enought to stop requesting Toby Keith, the dancefloor stayed packed.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

This year's NYE gig is a wedding and it ends at 11 pm.

I'll actually be home by midnight with a lot of money in my pocket.

It actually ended at 10. I'm home.

There's a story involved but that will come later.

If it's anything like The Bear Jew's stories, I can't wait to hear it.

Glad to hear about people's gigs.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Had a club gig - tickets ranged $60-$120 a head and they sold out. They also streamed it online and said we peaked at 3323 viewers. We brought out extra lighting - lots of movers, etc, to beef up the show. After production and booking fees, we still walked with over $1000 each...I'd call it a good night.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Had a great time. Nice play, good crowd, the owner fed us -- rock star treatment.

Our drummer and our lead player (the son of the band leader) are from of one of the local "hot" bands -- the Hat City Ramblers -- so they brought in a few of their fans. One of their female fans invited me to a "slumber party" with her and some of her friends -- I'm sure it was perfectly innocent, but I declined, pointing out that: a. I'm married and; b. I'm old enough to be her father.

The rest of their band came too, so we let them perform a couple tunes -- gave us geezers a minute to catch our breath.

We started at 9 p.m. and since it was a restaurant last call was at 12:20 a.m. and we were done by 12:30.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Not for quite a while, this is a newly refurbished place, new owner. We delivered a solid performance tonight and he may try to work in some blues night in the summer. We were in Cape May mostly this past season.

Cape May works.... I'll look for you if we head down....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

This year's NYE gig is a wedding and it ends at 11 pm.

I'll actually be home by midnight with a lot of money in my pocket.

It actually ended at 10. I'm home.

There's a story involved but that will come later.

If it's anything like The Bear Jew's stories, I can't wait to hear it.

Glad to hear about people's gigs.

Six piece Motown-type band. The gig was a large wedding....the bride was the lead singer's niece.

They also hired a dj and some Hawaiian dancers.

The whole thing was very disorganized. There was a schedule, but no timeline and the simplest things took a long time.

The wedding party walked into the room while being introduced one couple at a time and they weren't in line in the right order. The bride threw the bouquet and the videographer was somewhere else, so she did it again when he reappeared. Then it was time for the garter and the groom was nowhere to be found. The bride went to look for him and so then we had nobody out there.

The cake cutting took forever, how long does it take to cut a cake?

The hula dancers did way too many dances and then to add insult to injury, they taught some dances. The dancers were preteen girls, so there was nothing exciting there.

The people got there late (the ceremony ran late, of course) and we played about half an hour of smooth jazz type background and then they said it was time for dinner. We sat down with the guests and the dj played the smooth jazz. After dinner, the hula dancers came up. Then there were toasts, then the bouquet, garter, and cake cutting.

We finally started playing about 3 1/2 hours after we were supposed to start, played for a half hour and then they said they wanted the dj. So we were done at 10.

The dj brought an incredible amount of equipment. He had four Cerwin Vega subwoofers (those bad boys weight 190 pounds each), four speaker cabinets on poles, four turntables, etc. etc. I guess he liked the number four.

All these speakers were in front of the stage, so I don't think anyone could see much of us.

The music that the dj played was so loud that we all put earplugs in while taking down our equipment. I don't know what the music was that he was playing. It sounded like someone yelling while a drum machine played.

But wait, there's more.

No, there isn't, not really.

Let's see, hmm, I got there at five, was set up by six, played 1/2 hour of background music from 6:45 to 7:15, had a complete dinner, and then played 1/2 hour of 35 year old funky tunes from 9:30 to 10:00, packed up my gear quickly and then left at 10:30. I got paid twice as much as I would usually get for a gig of that length.

I made it home by 11 and my wife was having a party with some of our friends, so I didn't miss that, although they had already finished off the French Champagne.

Archived