Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1976 Fender Jazz Bass Video

C Steve Araujo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for checking out the video. I believe all the J basses were strung with DR's, but not too sure if they were all the same type or how old the strings were. I will tell you this, the strings on the '76 were definitely not new and had a lot of wear, but you couldn't tell, the bass made them sound soooo good and they actually sounded as if they were relatively new.

Thanks for checking out the video. I believe all the J basses were strung with DR's, but not too sure if they were all the same type or how old the strings were. I will tell you this, the strings on the '76 were definitely not new and had a lot of wear, but you couldn't tell, the bass made them sound soooo good and they actually sounded as if they were relatively new.

Thanks, Steve. I'm asking because I'm curious about which factors most heavily influence the difference in sound between the two: pickups farther apart, heavier finish, etc. Just wondering how much different strings (brand or type) would account for that.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Thanks, Steve. I'm asking because I'm curious about which factors most heavily influence the difference in sound between the two: pickups farther apart, heavier finish, etc. Just wondering how much different strings (brand or type) would account for that.

No problem!! I actually think its all a factor when it comes to tone...but I really believe the biggest factors are pick up spacing and finish....but then again you can take two identical basses and still have them sound different....there's got to be some Mojo mixed in there somewhere too...HAHA!!

IMO the two most significant issues effecting the tonal differences between the two basses are the pickup spacing and the fretboard. Quite possibly the body wood is the third, many of the '70's Fender basses used a denser ash leading to the many complaints about their weight. However, Fender would often use alder and ash interchangably so it would be impossible to be certain on that particular bass without stripping the finish.

Many feel that the heavy poly finishes that became the standard during that time were an issue and they may be correct but I believe that to be less of a factor than the pup spacing and the woods used.

Nice video Steve and welcome to the Lowdown.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

An interresting and informative video. That '68 jazz looks just like the '68 I used to have years ago and it brought back some fond memories. That 3-bolt pattern neck on the '76, was that the old micro-tilt style?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I have a '71 Jazz bass and am always amused when someone sees it and says, "wow, that's a vintage bass!"

I bought it new when I was 23 and at that time people were telling me, "you should have bought a pre-CBS bass."

Yeah, yeah, I know that any USA-made Fender more than a few years old is considered vintage now. And I also know that they classical musicians I know with 300 year old instruments are laughing at us.

I bought it new when I was 23 and at that time people were telling me, "you should have bought a pre-CBS bass."

People said the same thing about buying pre-Norlin Corp. Gibsons back in the day. Seems like anything older is now "vintage" and it's interesting how treasured they become regardless of how they were perceived to be in the past.

By the way Jeremy, I seem to have missed it along the way. What does the "OG" stand for?

A 76 3-bolt Fender Jazz bass is considered vintage now?

That was considered junk when it first came out.

What is this world coming to?

I agree -- not exactly the high watermark of quality for Fender. I was shocked when I found out what my 76 J-bass is worth.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

IMO the two most significant issues effecting the tonal differences between the two basses are the pickup spacing and the fretboard. Quite possibly the body wood is the third, many of the '70's Fender basses used a denser ash leading to the many complaints about their weight. However, Fender would often use alder and ash interchangably so it would be impossible to be certain on that particular bass without stripping the finish.

Many feel that the heavy poly finishes that became the standard during that time were an issue and they may be correct but I believe that to be less of a factor than the pup spacing and the woods used.

Nice video Steve and welcome to the Lowdown.

Very well put!! Thanks and appreciate the welcome!!!

I believe my '76 has a maple body, but I'm not completely sure.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

By the way Jeremy, I seem to have missed it along the way. What does the "OG" stand for?

I believe Mr. Cohen is using the title "Original Gangster". From Urban Dictionary:

"Somone who dosn't go around repping somthing that they arn't. And someone who dosn't go around bragging about the small things that they really do....You just have to be real about what you do, tough, have common sense and be street smart." [sic]

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Steve - nice video - I enjoyed watching and listening to the gang play.

Clearly not in original condition - PUPs wired wrong, new foam (a good thing), phantom routes. Yet it survives and rocks. Nice.

Come and film a deconstruction of my '69 EB3 some day....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Steve - nice video - I enjoyed watching and listening to the gang play.

Clearly not in original condition - PUPs wired wrong, new foam (a good thing), phantom routes. Yet it survives and rocks. Nice.

Come and film a deconstruction of my '69 EB3 some day....

Tom

Thanks Tom!! A deconstruction of your Gibson would be off the hook!!! Actually we're already planning the next deconstruction video....Precision basses!! A couple of vintage P's and a newer "modern" P bass!!!

Looking forward to that Steve!

And it would be great to see the same treatment carried over to old Gibbys and Ricks, maybe even a few Music Mans (comparing the pre-EB basses to the current "vintage reissues" would be quite instructive I think).

Alrighty Steve...... whatta ya sittin' around for?...get to work! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I believe Mr. Cohen is using the title "Original Gangster". From Urban Dictionary:

"Somone who dosn't go around repping somthing that they arn't. And someone who dosn't go around bragging about the small things that they really do....You just have to be real about what you do, tough, have common sense and be street smart." [sic]

:thu:

Archived