Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So, anyone else going to see The Wall?

02R96

I grabbed tickets for the Grand Rapids Michigan show.

The tickets were pricy, but I think it's important to show my son what real music and theatrics are, as opposed to (ahem), the GaGa's and BritBrit's of the world. :thu:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm taking my kid to see the new Muppet movie, because I think it's important to show my son what real music and theatrics are.

Must be a Miss Piggy thing eh Griff?

Dan

I'm taking my kid to see the new Muppet movie, because I think it's important to show my son what real music and theatrics are.

Must be a Miss Piggy thing eh Griff?

Nope. Just reminiscing. Used to watch the Muppet Show back when I was a tyke when it was still actually running...

How does this compare? I was only 17 when the album and tour came out.

Can't tell much from that clip, but it does look like the projections have been augmented from the original.

A friend gave me a copy of the Waters version live in Berlin from the late 80s or early 90s. Pretty much every song had a different guest pop star singing it & I thought it all felt rather perfunctory. Not as focused nor intense as the Floyd rendition. There's a great live Pink Floyd CD of The Wall called "Is There Anybody Out There" that pretty well nails it IMO.

Scott Fraser

saw the first incarnation way back when.

saw waters last year.

waters trumped floyd. better EVERYTHING. amazing...damn close to perfect.

fwiw, the guitarists are not slouches, snowy white was on the original tour, the band is smokin', and ya gotta love anything with ge smith.

about the only thing i think i missed was sir david's voice on a few songs...

but musically, it's hard to beat. and sounds more like the album than the "floyd light" version minus waters.

prepare to be amazed.

The tickets were pricy, but I think it's important to show my son what real music and theatrics are, as opposed to (ahem), the GaGa's and BritBrit's of the world. :thu:

Hey - Leave them kids alone!

Hey - Leave them kids alone!

Hahhaahhahhaahhaahhaahhahhaahh!! :D:thu:

Hey, I caught David Gilmour on his About Face solo-album tour, with Mick Ralphs on "Second Guitar" (as in a Second in a duel I believe) and a stellar band; that was possibly the best concert I ever attended.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey, I caught David Gilmour on his About Face solo-album tour, with Mick Ralphs on "Second Guitar" (as in a Second in a duel I believe) and a stellar band; that was possibly the best concert I ever attended.

That was a great concert. The best coordination of lights & music I had witnessed up to that point. Probably what Pink Floyd would have become if Waters had left after "Dark Side", more about playing & musicianship & less about message, big existential themes & theatrics. (Not that I didn't love the message, big existential themes & theatrics.)

Scott Fraser

That was a great concert. The best coordination of lights & music I had witnessed up to that point. Probably what Pink Floyd would have become if Waters had left after "Dark Side", more about playing & musicianship & less about message, big existential themes & theatrics. (Not that I didn't love the message, big existential themes & theatrics.)

Yes, agreed! Especially on the very excellent light show- in a way, simple, not involving lasers or holograms or props or pyro and yada yada yada, but so intricately detailed and thoroughly planned to coordinate with the music.

Prior to the concert, I was hanging out having a few beers with a fellow and a lady that were, like me, meandering about in the grassy area before the show (outdoors, Saratoga Performing Arts Center); they had a large bottle of cognac with a bow on it, that they presented to the man at the light-board. That should have registered something to me right then, but I was pleasantly surprised when I recognized that lady on stage as the "Auxiliary Percussionist", and that fellow ran up from the audience and leaped onto the stage to play a blistering sax-solo in the first song... :cool:

And, yeah, I like the classic Gilmour/Waters era Floyd (though I think that Mason and Wright deserve far more credit than they've generally received over the years).

saw waters last year.

I see your point, but you are basically paying to watch a bunch of hired guns cover Pink Floyd songs. I'd pay money to see Pink Floyd, but I wouldn't pay to see one member of Pink Floyd backed by hired guns.

saw waters last year.

I see your point, but you are basically paying to watch a bunch of hired guns cover Pink Floyd songs. I'd pay money to see Pink Floyd, but I wouldn't pay to see one member of Pink Floyd backed by hired guns.

I think, other than being a fan of David Gilmour, your point is my other beef with seeing Waters. I can see any band play Pink Floyd songs. Why pay to see this one, just because Waters is singing? His voice isn't that good. Most of the cool bass parts I used to attribute to him, were actually played by Gilmour. Really, other than taking credit for stuff he was only part of, It's the other three that made Floyd, IMO.

I saw Gilmore with Floyd, in the 90's. They were fantastic. Amazing show, easily one of the best I have seen.

A big part of the appeal for me is the magnitude of the show. As a long time PF fan this is probably the only chance I'll ever have to see The Wall performed in it's entirety by the creator.

I'm firmly in David Gilmour's camp, but I maintain that Pink Floyd was the sum of the parts. Sure Waters can claim credit for everything, but without the other members the music would have sounded totally different.

Dan

A big part of the appeal for me is the magnitude of the show. As a long time PF fan this is probably the only chance I'll ever have to see The Wall performed in it's entirety by the creator.

I'm firmly in David Gilmour's camp, but I maintain that Pink Floyd was the sum of the parts. Sure Waters can claim credit for everything, but without the other members the music would have sounded totally different.

To the extent that Gilmour is a unique voice, I agree. But let's face it - the songwriting output after Barrett left was 90-95% Waters.

If you need a friendly reminder of exactly how bad Floyd is without Waters contributing to the writing, I invite you to review The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason... :freak:

If you need a friendly reminder of exactly how bad Floyd is without Waters contributing to the writing, I invite you to review The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason... :freak:

Both those albums were lyrically weak, yet had the same sonic sumptuousness & grandeur as previous Floyd albums, which tells me that as much as Waters was responsible for their lyrical intelligence, Gilmour, Mason & Wright made them sound the way they did.

Scott Fraser

Both those albums were lyrically weak, yet had the same sonic sumptuousness & grandeur as previous Floyd albums, which tells me that as much as Waters was responsible for their lyrical intelligence, Gilmour, Mason & Wright made them sound the way they did.

I dunno. Both those albums sounded very pedestrian to my ears. There was no soul-stirring emotion, no jarring of the sensibilities, none of the edge I'd come to expect. That was, to me, the biggest piece of the PF puzzle that Waters represented.

But Waters work (post Floyd) was not spectacular either.

Again, sum of the parts. What made PF music work was the chemistry "and" the friction between the members.

I guess that element was lost in the warfare between DG and RW.

Dan

Again, sum of the parts. What made PF music work was the chemistry "and" the friction between the members.

Maybe a viable point. I would, however, question Waters' mental stability post-Floyd, and the effect that had on his later work...

Learning To Flywas pretty good. I never really listened to The Division Bell. Waters may have written the tunes, but without Gilmour, Mason, & Wrisht, it wouldn't have been Floyd. The dudes are right, Waters touring with a band of hired guns is an expensive cover band, just like Gary Rossington touring with a bunch of hired guns isn't really Skynyrd.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Maybe a viable point. I would, however, question Waters' mental stability post-Floyd, and the effect that had on his later work...

And I would stipulate that "The Final Cut", undeniably the weakest PF album, was in fact the first post-Floyd Waters solo album, & an album that made both "Momentary Lapse" & "Division Bell" (which always struck me as indistinguishable from Gilmour solo albums) appear comparatively good. As with the Lennon-McCartney rift, I think any member of a strong team who tries to go it alone as a solo artist suddenly finds there's no point of friction with an equal to edit one's ideas, & thus a lot of bad ideas are allowed to see the light of day. The strength of a team effort is in the editing of weak ideas & polishing of strong ideas, while the problem of an idolized solo artist is that nobody will ever tell a McCartney or Waters that an idea isn't quite up to snuff or could be improved with some cuts.

Scott Fraser

Much agreed.

Also much agreed.

And I would stipulate that "The Final Cut", undeniably the weakest PF album, was in fact the first post-Floyd Waters solo album, & an album that made both "Momentary Lapse" & "Division Bell" (which always struck me as indistinguishable from Gilmour solo albums) appear comparatively good.

Iddunno, I kinda like The Final Cut, it's got some good moments, and I actually like it much better than A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell; it sounds and feels more "Floyd" to me than those two albums, which sound like someone trying to sound like Floyd to me. I also liked Gilmour's About Face better than those two.

I tried to, but I really did not like any of Waters' post-Floyd solo-albums.

As with the Lennon-McCartney rift, I think any member of a strong team who tries to go it alone as a solo artist suddenly finds there's no point of friction with an equal to edit one's ideas, & thus a lot of bad ideas are allowed to see the light of day. The strength of a team effort is in the editing of weak ideas & polishing of strong ideas, while the problem of an idolized solo artist is that nobody will ever tell a McCartney or Waters that an idea isn't quite up to snuff or could be improved with some cuts.

Much agreed.

[i think, other than being a fan of David Gilmour, your point is my other beef with seeing Waters. I can see any band play Pink Floyd songs. Why pay to see this one, just because Waters is singing? His voice isn't that good. Most of the cool bass parts I used to attribute to him, were actually played by Gilmour. Really, other than taking credit for stuff he was only part of, It's the other three that made Floyd, IMO.

Couldn't agree more A-String :thu:

Gilmore is the genious behind PF. Wright's contributions were tremendous. Waters wrote some interesting lyrics but would have not been noticed w/o Gilmore's music writing, guitar playing skills and his voice.

No one has mentioned Gilmore's "On An Island". I think this CD leaves no doubt as to where the PF sound came from - David Gilmore. IMO

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

The thing is, Waters was responsible for most of the heady, twisted, tortured soul lyrics. Gilmour and Wright created the sound. I read a quote somewhere that said (and I'm paraphrasing) "David Gilmour is better at writing David Gilmour music than Pink Floyd music".

On an Island is tremendous piece. The Live DVD (Remember that Night) is an excellent example of what he can do. Richard Wright looks very happy throughout the concert (in an English kind of way). During Coming Back to Life he actually, sort of, kind of smiles! :D

[video:youtube]

Dan

I can see any band play Pink Floyd songs.

True, but you won't see this kind of show. And these are not just any musicians; they are top level performers. David Kilminster and Snowy White do a great job replicating Gilmour's work and the overall sound. I'm sure RW demanded it.

Still, it is the most I've ever paid to see a cover band! :D:facepalm::freak:

Dan

Archived