Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

peavey tko 115 amp

stony

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You edited for spelling but not punctuation or capitalization?

Since you don't state what you want to use it with/on/for, I'll make some assumptions.

I don't know if BPM reviewed it, but I own one. My remcommendation is to hold out for a TNT 115 or check out the Ampeg and/or MarkBass combos. Despite the fact that it has the same size and mass as a Humvee and it is practically indestructible (had mine for over 10 years), it really doesn't have enough wattage to gig loud small or medium venues if you have two guitards running twin reverbs. It's way too big and bulky for running as a practice amp.

However, I have used it for my electric upright in my low-wattage blues project with reasonable success. It may work well in my small jazz combo, but I mic my upright through the PA. It's one less piece of gear I have to drag around.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

the design is new about five years ago. its relatively lighter, but it's not exactly light weight. sounds better than its reputation from the past. for a piece like that, go to a store and play it. and the play every other combo they have. see what you can afford and what you like the sound of.

Actually, I think even the TNT 115 is underpowered. My Combo 115 was a great amp though -- 225 watts as configured, 300 with an extension cab, so you could actually gig with it. Although it weighed as much as a Mack truck.
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Concur. The entire T** 115 line was underjuiced. The TNT came with a couple of features that made it more flexible, but ...

Actually gigged with the TKO last night. I was up against a Blues Jr. and a Twin, but I also knew the venue was one of those "turn it down, you're too loud" fraternal organisation venues. I managed to stay off clip all night.

All told, I still would have been better off with the G/K GLX head and 4x10, especially for the classic rock gigs.

The plus side is that 15" cone does give you a lot of oomph, if not volume. I've had people say they couldn't hear the bass, but they could feel it. After last night, I've decided to put casters on the summbitch.

Looks like they've redesigned their whole line -- been awhile since I looked at Peavey stuff.

TNT is much more attractive at 400 watts -- with a speaker output jack, looks like you can add a cab (probably need to to get the full 400).

OMG. Class D amp and it's still 75 pounds.

class D isn't a panacea. the cabinet is still made of wood, is large, and the magnet is still ceramic. and the power supply is still probably low frequency (i.e. lead sled).

Understood. But my Peavey Combo 300 from a million years ago was also 75 pounds (81 with casters and handles...) ; I'd have thought that they'd be able to shave off at least 10 or 12 lbs since back-in-the-day. What's the point of having a class D amp if you're still using Ye Olde Style power supply?

That's a rhetorical question, of course. I'm sure Peavey engineers have their price point/cost to manufacture yada yada stuff to consider. Or they had a warehouse full of them to unload still?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

just so everyone is informed, the most recent tour TKO 115 is a 400W class D combo. this is considerably better than the 200W combos of the past.

Which I did not love at all. I rehearsed in a room fitted with a Peavey 115 some five years ago and I did not like particularly. I remember a honky amp with no deep bass. I hope they are doing better today.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Loved my Combo 115 -- really bloomed when I added a Peavey 210TXF cab to it. And it had an onboard compressor that was actually usable.

But at 90 pounds it was a beast -- added side handles to make it easier to lift, and built a dolly to move it around.

Understood. But my Peavey Combo 300 from a million years ago was also 75 pounds (81 with casters and handles...) ; I'd have thought that they'd be able to shave off at least 10 or 12 lbs since back-in-the-day. What's the point of having a class D amp if you're still using Ye Olde Style power supply?

That's a rhetorical question, of course. I'm sure Peavey engineers have their price point/cost to manufacture yada yada stuff to consider. Or they had a warehouse full of them to unload still?

... and it may be more of the same old Peavey-built-to-survive-the-next-nuclear-holocost engineering. Kinda like dating a member of the old East German Woman's Swim Team ... indestructable, built like a tank, scary to take out in public and an unpleasant voice lower than yours.

Hi thanks for the info...i was looking for a practice amp...was looking at a fender bronco 40...at the store they have a fender 100,fender 150 and this peavey 115..for the diff in price i figured why not get something more versitile/larger, something that could be used for a small club etc....so would one of the fenders be better?last amp i had was a new garnet with 2x15's- yeah that long ago thanks

i've owned a carvin amp before, and it wasn't that stellar. but i've played through some of the BR series stuff, and that combo would be a reasonable purchase.

i'm not sure what the fender combos cost relative to the peavey, but i know from experience that it doesn't take long to want your first "real" amp after you've gotten a practice amp. pretty much the first time you play with anyone else you'll want one. i haven't played the TKO115, either. it's a difficult balance, because the TKO115 is definitely usable in more situations, but you may want a different amp anyway. and the fender 150 is also usable in more than just practice situations, but barely.

do you have access to any other options? play them all and see what they sound like and how loud they go. what is your budget? have you looked into buying used?

hi thanks to all who responded,after thinking it over and due to supply/cost i've decided to buy the fender rumble 150...i'm sure for the difference in price to the bronco 40/tko 115 it will be better for me untill i'm in a better financial way.my thanks to all of you

Archived