Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Stage 2 sustain pedal discovery!

Tobias Åslund

I'm sitting playing piano on my Stage 2 sw 73 - nice as always. Then I got the idea to try if my continuos Korg DS1H sustain might work as a dynamic pedal, instead of using my old on/off Roland DP6. Now I know Nord states clearly, that other continuos damper pedals than their own triple pedal won't work, but what the heck - it can't hurt to try! :) So it was a really nice surprise that the pedal actually do work! Just set the "sustain pedal type" param to "triple" and you're good to go. Now half pedaling as well as damper noise works! :)

The only thing is that the velocity/controller curve is not properly "calibrated" to the Nord - you have to be very gentle to make soft pedaling noises and half pedaling only starts working very close to the bottom of the pedal's travel. Anyway - it's way better than "not working" as stated by Nord. Just wanted to let you all know.

Cheers!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing is that the velocity/controller curve is not properly "calibrated" to the Nord - you have to be very gentle to make soft pedaling noises and half pedaling only starts working very close to the bottom of the pedal's travel. Anyway - it's way better than "not working" as stated by Nord.

I'd suggest that the section I bolded above would qualify as "not working" for the majority of people. ;)

Glad it's working well enough for you though! :thu:

After another hour of playing, I would say that it actually works pretty good - it just takes some getting used to. So no, I would not agree that that qualify it as not working.

I should also add, that when I connected the pedal and starting playing - I discovered I had the pedal noise level set to +6 dB, for some reason. Setting it to 0 instead, produced more realistic pedal thumps.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

After another hour of playing, I would say that it actually works pretty good - it just takes some getting used to. So no, I would not agree that that qualify it as not working.

Try looking at it from the perspective of Nord, and their overall customer base. :snax:

The only thing is that the velocity/controller curve is not properly "calibrated" to the Nord - you have to be very gentle to make soft pedaling noises and half pedaling only starts working very close to the bottom of the pedal's travel.

I believe that Sven's point is this:

When a manufacturer says something works, he's got to back it up. He's not saying that it kinda works, or might work, or it starts working very close to the bottom of the pedal's travel.

The manufacturer is stating that it works. If it doesn't work, his customers are going to complain. And as the monkey said when he peed into the cash register, "This is going to run into the money!" :cool:

So should Nord put this in their manual that another sustain pedal MIGHT work, but if it doesn't, don't complain?

They can't do that. Why? Because as far as the paying customer is concerned, either it works or it doesn't.

You stumbled upon a work-around. Your Korg DS1H sustain pedal kinda works.

I have to agree with Sven on this one, it's in a gray area and unpredictable.

I am happy that it works for you, Tobbe. But, I think it's best that this remain a nice find instead of a documented feature.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I actually think the main reason why Nord say other pedal works is they want to sell their triple pedal unit, which is a bit overpriced, IMHO. They could easily have done as with the ctonrol pedal input, to have a setting for each of the most common sustain pedals on the market, but now they basically are saying - if you want pedal noises and half pedaling, you have to buy our triple pedal, whether you need the other two pedals and not. IMHO, of course...

I started this thread just to let other users, who might have a continuous pedal lying around, know that it does work. If you choose to say, without trying for yourself, no it seems it doesn't - well, that's not my problem...

And back to issue, why I think the DS1H only "kinda" works. My guess is Korg is using a logarithmic potentiometer and the Stage 2 expects a linear pot. That would explain why the control curve feels a bit off.

I might buy the triple pedal anyway - simply because it has three pedals - would be nice for solo piano and the latch and gate function seems interesting as well. Though it seems when reading the updated manual that the rotor pedal input can be used for latch as well - I might just give that a try!

All you others - keep your sustain working as simply on/off pedals or get the triple pedal! :P

Hey maybe my pedal that came with my CP33 might do the job? Will try it out...

Just got my Stage 2 88 yesterday...will post some feedback after the first gig tomorrow.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I think Yamaha and Korg use the same standard, so it might very well work.

Hey - could you try something for me? I will probably get a CP33 myself in the beginning of next year, if I can just finance it, and I wonder if the pedal noises and half-pedaling work correctly when controlling the Stage via midi from the CP33? I tried that from my Korg TR76 and it didn't work at all - everything was backwards! The softer I pressed the pedal, the louder the noise... and half pedaling was very strange too... Now, Sven - that's what I call not working! :P

Enjoy your new stage - I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Since acoustic pianos vary considerably in where the pedal is when it activates the dampers, I wouldn't think it's a big stretch for digital piano players to learn to deal with it.

I don't criticize Nord for saying you need their pedal.

Thanks for the tip, Mr Tobbe. It's nice to know the option is available.

I started this thread just to let other users, who might have a continuous pedal lying around, know that it does work. If you choose to say, without trying for yourself, no it seems it doesn't - well, that's not my problem...

Wow... even after Tom explains at length what I thought was pretty clear, you still don't get it. :facepalm:

Well, as you say, that is not my problem. :wave:

Thanks for trying, Tom. :thu:

You really like offending people, don't you? Well - nothing more to discuss here - move along! :whistle:

The way I see it, we're good. :cool:

This is not an "end of life" situation.

Everybody have another beer, or somethin'.

And yes, I'm buying. :)

Friday ROCKS!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You really like offending people, don't you?

What can I say, some people seem to like being offended. No worries, Mogut will be along with your hug shortly. :rolleyes:

You're more than welcome to put me on ignore, by the way. Here's how:

Click on my name to the left of this posting. In the drop-down menu that appears, click on "View profile". On the subsequent page, click on the "Ignore This User" link, and you're done (hint: it's right next to the "Ignore Common Sense" link you must have clicked earlier :thu:).

Tom, pass that beer, thanks. :evil:

No, I won't ignore - you're quite entertaining from time to time. :wave:

Now I will have a nice cold Stallhagen beer - and tomorrow it's the yearly Örebro Beer & Whisky festival! :)

Cheers!

Since it's already clear that I'm ignoring common sense, I will continue: :wave:

I didn't know there was an "auto" setting for pedal polarity, but there is. So when connecting my Korg pedal and set to auto sense, the pedal is recognized as a triple - and it works as before. ;) And then the other thing I found in the manual - the rotor pedal input can be used as a latch/sostenuto or gate pedal - nice! Now, I don't feel like buying the triple pedal anymore... :cool:

Archived