Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UK Pianists Gordon Beck and Michael Garrick RIP

cleomenesII

Both died in the last few days. Not international stars perhaps, but both fine pianists, and in Garrick's case in particular a wonderful composer and jazz educator. Beck worked with Holdsworth, Phil Woods, NHOP, Brecker, and a host of others - mainly living in France, where he was more appreciated than in the UK. Beck was notable for incorporating Rhodes and synths in his work, although primarily a pianist. He worked with Tubby Hayes and Ronnie Scott in the 60s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOGyDojpTQ

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SHIT!!!

I LOVED Gordon Beck. It has been one of my main influences for a long period, and I have studied some of his improvisations.

He also was one my role models as a musician, with his great musicianship matched to a very humble, matter-of-fact attitude.

I hoped to meet him some day... too late. Shit!

RIP Gordon.

I was trying to reach for Gordon Beck's great solo album, "Reasons". Then I remembered... I sold all my LPs last summer. :freak:

I'll settle for "Experiments with Pops", a great quartet album with John McLaughlin. Or "With a Heart in my Song", his duo with Allan Holdsworth.

What a great musician he was. Shit, shit, shit.

Damn. The only Gordon Beck I heard was the duo with Holdsworth, but it is a beautiful record. Will need to dig deeper into his catalog when I get a chance.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Archived