Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mic/DI cable

groove machine

Usually our soundman provides this but last night I played a freelance gig for APEC where I needed one & didn't have a cable but luckily my friend had a spare. What brand do you guys recommend? My instrument cables are Planet Waves & Monster for live use & Analysis Plus when I record.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a mic cable with XLR connectors. This isn't something that you need to break the bank on. A 20' to 30' cable should work fine.

Get a cable with Neutrik connectors if you can. These are Neutrik's. They're built to last and they're easy to service if necessary.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/209/108/DV016_Jpg_Large_339037_ends.jpg

Don't get a cable with Switchcraft connectors. They're a complete pain in the ass.

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/208/978/DV016_Jpg_Large_336360_ends.jpg

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I've been using the same instrument cable (made by myself years ago from generic cable) with Switchcraft 1/4" ends for a long time. No problems ever.

Maybe the XLR ends are different. MAybe they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Switchcraft XLR's SUCK to put together, and eventually the set screws fall out. That's not good.

The Neutrik's lock light with a threaded end gasket. Overall, it's a much more elegant design with a strain reliever that clamps onto the cable jacket. That reduces the stress on the individual conductors within the connector housing.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

One of your best bets is Whirlwind. They used to second source Canare (most reliable cable in the business) but now appear to be manufacturing their own. Very good quality, with Neutriks, and reasonably priced.

Look for a store that sells them in generic plastic bags, to save $10. Our local pro audio shop does that now. They order in bulk then package them in bags. Who needs the packaging anyway?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived