Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unusual synth sound: Hall & Oates "Maneater"

Sundown

Hey all,

Given the vintage (1982), the synth sound for the chords in Hall & Oates' "Maneater" is pretty unusual.

Anyone know what it is?

There is a similar sound on my WS ("Cat's Eye"), which leads me to believe that it could be a PPG Wave, but I typically associate the Wave with a harsher, more brittle sound.

I'd be curious if anyone knows what it is. Perhaps it's an early layer of more than one sound.

All the best,

Todd

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the synth sound for the chords in Hall & Oates' "Maneater" is pretty unusual.

Which sound on which chords exactly?

Either way, you might want to do some experimenting with various effects (delays come to mind); the sounds I'm hearing aren't very far off sounds that can be achieved with a Prophet 5 and an effects unit.

Which sound on which chords exactly?

Sorry Sven...

I was referring to the descending triad chord progression that appears near the beginning of the song near the 11 second mark (right after the drum/bass parts). On closer listening, it sounds like an analog pad with some other notes or sounds on top of it.

To Synthoid's point, a Synclavier is certainly a possibility. But if it's more than one instrument, it could be anything.

Todd

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

the sounds I'm hearing aren't very far off sounds that can be achieved with a Prophet 5 and an effects unit.

I'm betting it is a Prophet-5. It's all over the Private Eyes and H20 albums. They didn't use the Fairlight until Big Bam Boom.

the sounds I'm hearing aren't very far off sounds that can be achieved with a Prophet 5 and an effects unit.

I'm betting it is a Prophet-5. It's all over the Private Eyes and H20 albums. They didn't use the Fairlight until Big Bam Boom.

My favorite is still this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619XOXtXl1L._AA115_.jpg

Yeah. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived