Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wersi Organ?

Outkaster

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent about 25 years working on musical electronics, primarily home and church organs, changing over to computers in the early 1990's when the organ market collapsed to a point where there was not enough income.

The sales model of the day was to place music stores in malls and other places with substantial postential customer traffic. A sslesperson would play one of the larger models (usually) near the front of the store (or even in the mall's common area, if that was permitted). A rather large percentage of the adult population old enough not to be involved with school bands or other simila r projects would LIKE to be able to play an instrument just for their own enjoyment - but are not willing or able to invest the thousands of hours needed to become really proficient with something like piano. (Also, as one gets older, the learning process becomes more time-consuming and one may never really obtain ability to play more complex music at an expected speed).

Back in the '80's, most companies had models that were priced from about $695 on up to $20K or so - so finding models now at up to $50K is not really that much of a difference. The more successful dealers marketed by starting the customer off with a lower priced model, with liberal tradein policies (in the same store, of course) to larger models. They also provided group classes that were either free to their customers or available at very low cost. A whole series of music in different genres is published for "EZ Organ," which is kind of like a lead sheet designed for someone with 20/50 vision

As computer digital circuitry became involved in the organs, it became possible to design instrument that had a more realistic sounding automatic rhythm (with various ways to add fills and breaks) - think of the modern Arranger keyboards.

This model worked very well for a while - until the combination of changes: 1 - more "things to do" became available. Organ music, especially to the older folk, was as much a SOCIAL event as an individual event. 2 - a new group of circuit designers, who thought like 20 year olds instead of 50 year olds - they came out with new models (in almost all of the companies) that had very complex interfaces, much capability, but they were NOT easy to learn to use - this single factor almost completely killed the market.

So now, you have Wersi, Yamaha, and others building organs that sell to a smaller market group than in the 80's - smaller production means higher unit prices. However, there are still (mostly older) people who were successful enough in their careers (or investments) to have sufficient money to buy a $50,000 organ, who derive enough enjoyment out of playing so that they purchase such instruments. However, the pool is now small enough that these instruments don't carry a high used value.

More power to 'em, I say - playing EZ Organ music is a sight better use of a person's time than sitting on the couch watching TV or movies. At least it is an ACTIVE pursuit, rather than passive "entertainment."

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the great post MoodyBluesKeys,

Now it starts to make sense and my memory has been jogged. As a kid I remember the piano store in the mall would have these big organs too and in fact my first keyboard after the piano my parents bought was a Yamaha Electone from that organ piano store. I didn't know that it was an organ at the time, it had like 12 sounds and the auto-accompaniment but you had to hit the chords in voicings that didn't seem natural in order for it to play and it came with the huge EZ sheet music that looked like it was for a 2 years old with note heads the size of a quarter with the note names written in the head.

Looking at these videos, it seems like these home organs are basically the same as an arranger keyboard but with two manuals and a lot of buttons.

I guess I'll pass on picking up a used one, that John Denver cover skeeved me out, though I did like the Barry Morgan that CEB posted.

Ciao,

D

As a kid I remember the piano store in the mall would have these big organs too and in fact my first keyboard after the piano my parents bought was a Yamaha Electone from that organ piano store.

I remember the piano/organ store in Christiana Mall (Delaware) back in the 80's. I was looking at one of the pianos there and happen to stroll by a display for the Ensoniq Mirage. They had sampled "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and assigned parts to various keys. Fascinating at the time...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

And now to cleanse the palate a bit.

[video:youtube]

That's much better. :thu:

This thread reminded me of the amusing banter that went back and forth with the "McRib" topic.

If you're jonesing for a home console, the Yamaha E70 is worth seeking out - it's got two CS80's under the hood. And they can be had for dirt if you're patient. Not sure how much longer the sleeper E70 thing is going to last since that cat's been getting out of the bag. Another really nice machine, though they usually need a bit of TLC to get sorted out, is the Hammond Elegante. Drawbars plus tabs, "Philharmonc Strings", delightfully-cheesy rhythm box, built-in Rotosonic Leslie with an 11-pin socket for an external Leslie, and lots of blinking lights. They do the theatre-organ thing really well. Not a tonewheel sound but a nice, robust, strong sound nonetheless. They too can often be bagged for next to nothing.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Well, it's friday, after all - let's have some Klaus!

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLrvI7axMU

I just love his involvement, feeling and musical expression... :D

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Then there's Mambo-Kurt...

(slowly slinks away, whistling innocently)

TP

You...you...BASTARD! That'll never wash off.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Damn you B3Nut, Mambo Kurt has made me a believer, just look at the number of his minions. Time for me to fire up the truck and head to Sun City for a smoking deal on a Lowrey owned by an octogenarian who uses a golf cart as his primary form of transpo. and is in mourning over Andy Rooney's eyebrows.

Ciao

D.

Just checked the Lowrey website and there are actually two authorized dealers in Sun City. I am going on a recreational music test drive today. It is only about 25 minute drive from north central PHX. Yes! Maybe I'll check into their financing options and maybe they have some cheap trade ins..

Thanks B3Nut and MamboKurt,

D

Just checked the Lowrey website and there are actually two authorized dealers in Sun City. I am going on a recreational music test drive today. It is only about 25 minute drive from north central PHX. Yes! Maybe I'll check into their financing options and maybe they have some cheap trade ins..

:facepalm:

If you're jonesing for a home console, the Yamaha E70 is worth seeking out - it's got two CS80's under the hood. And they can be had for dirt if you're patient. Not sure how much longer the sleeper E70 thing is going to last since that cat's been getting out of the bag.

Here's one in Chico, CA

And here's one in Aurora CO.

I'm not sure how much $$$ you mean when you say "dirt", but to get 2 CS80's for $500 or $700, that's pretty cheap, isn't it?

Stuff and things.

And now to cleanse the palate a bit.

[video:youtube]

Now, that's a crowd! Who said jazz crowds are just statues? they can dance and have fun too :laugh: Actually, some crowds should learn from this video. Thanks for the video, moe!

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

• 1 month later...

Here's some Christmas Wersi Organ for you.

It's Sleigh Ride on a Wersi Scala. I'd say it's more realistic than cheesy. If anyone has any technical info on this organ, please post.

Come out with your hands up! I have a synthesizer, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Archived