Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moonlight Sonata for Solo Bass

plangentmusic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't actually say I wouldn't listen, I said I wouldn't comment.

Sometimes I don't listen (or even open the thread), sometimes I listen to a little bit, sometimes to more than that (kind of like changing channels with a remote).

I usually just pass on these threads, for this precise reason. I don't know what possessed me to comment on this one, other than it is (in stark contrast to your stated opinion) one of my favorite Beethoven pieces, probably because I have such a love for morose, melancholy classical pieces. I particularly enjoy Baroque chamber music for the same reason.

Nothing wrong with posting a sample of your music on a bass forum, just as long as you don't expect only praise.

Some of the people who do get praised (who are not top players) have made a lot of progress and we have witnessed that.

Nope. No need for praise. It's cool.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

If that recording had been completely free of fret buzz, and maybe more clearly enunciated the melody, which is the core of that composition, I might have fawned over it a bit more.

Aw shucks. Maybe next time. One can only hope.

If that recording had been completely free of fret buzz, and maybe more clearly enunciated the melody, which is the core of that composition, I might have fawned over it a bit more.

Hi Griff, now that you pointed it out, I hear which notes are off, and in fact they are. Stripping the chorus from the recording makes things better, but still I have the same feelings regarding speed.

The sound is too much high mids for me. Again, it's my own taste, but I feel the place of solo bass, regarding tone, is that of the cello: a warm voice in the low male register with just enough metal in it to make notes easily recognized, but no tin, no scratch, no buzz. We have guitars for the rest, and I do not even like everything that Jaco did, not considering that he became famous in a band without guitarist, so he had a reason to fill the space.

We now might start a flame war about reverberation, but I will leave it out.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Listened to both again and I unashamedly like the chorus effect. I think it gives an otherworldly quality to a moody, dark piece.

I also can't hear clearly where any notes are off, but I'll chalk that up to not having as good an ear as most on this board. (And also to listening to it at work...)

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

Listened to both again and I unashamedly like the chorus effect. I think it gives an otherworldly quality to a moody, dark piece.

I also can't hear clearly where any notes are off, but I'll chalk that up to not having as good an ear as most on this board. (And also to listening to it at work...)

Thanks. And I will unashamedly admit that my ears are pretty damn good. And it's not out of tune. Chorus will always make the notes waver a little bit and it's especially prominent in the lower register and even more so with chords in the lower register. But the bass was perfectly in tune. It was just a nitpicky thing to harp on, (with claims of being able to do it better) which made me just become amused by the whole thread.

Archived