Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moonlight Sonata for Solo Bass

plangentmusic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stu Hamm covered this on his album Radio Free Albemuth. I haven't listened to it in years, but it was a pretty cool rendition. I'll be sure to check out yours a little later when I can plug some headphones into my laptop.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Honestly? I hate, hate, hate the chorus effect. It really screws with the intonation, making it sound as though the instrument were out of tune in several segments.

(edit)

Actually, upon closer inspection, the E string is very much out of tune, or at least not intonated properly.

Honestly? I hate, hate, hate the chorus effect. It really screws with the intonation, making it sound as though the instrument were out of tune in several segments.

(edit)

Actually, upon closer inspection, the E string is very much out of tune, or at least not intonated properly.

No it isn't very out of tune. I used a chorus because as a solo piece I felt it needed a little color. If you don't like that, fine, but it sounds like you're just looking for something to rag on. Kinda pointless actually.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

I think I enjoyed this more than anything you have posted. Interesting to have that roundwound tone playing Beethoven!

Ha! Thanks. Roundwound, yes -- nickels. I tried a few basses and the Ibanez seemed best suited for it. It's so clean and "hi-fi" and yes, a little thin... but that works for chordal stuff.

Stu Hamm covered this on his album Radio Free Albemuth. I haven't listened to it in years, but it was a pretty cool rendition. I'll be sure to check out yours a little later when I can plug some headphones into my laptop.

Yes, Hamm did a real nice version, though I believe his was more of a piano/tap thing where the left hand played bass and the right hand played melody. I went for more a guitar chord/melody thing. There is some tapping on the extended voicings, but it's mostly all fingered using my nails to get that "glassy" sound.

(edit)

No it isn't very out of tune. I used a chorus because as a solo piece I felt it needed a little color. If you don't like that, fine, but it sounds like you're just looking for something to rag on. Kinda pointless actually.

I'm not looking for something to rag on. The dissonance of several of the arpeggios ruined my ability to appreciate it. I know this piece inside and out - I performed it at a recital at age 9. I know every one of those notes, and I noticed several of them were out of tune, badly.

If you didn't want honest feedback, you should have said so in your initial post.

(edit)

I'm not looking for something to rag on. The dissonance of several of the arpeggios ruined my ability to appreciate it. I know this piece inside and out - I performed it at a recital at age 9. I know every one of those notes, and I noticed several of them were out of tune, badly.

If you didn't want honest feedback, you should have said so in your initial post.

Ah, I knew the "honest feedback" claim was coming.

Hey, I realize anytime someone puts music up they become a target for someone who just wants to take a shot at it. But there's a difference between offering a critique and just being negative.

I maintain -- a chorus is going to waver the intonation slightly. That's the nature of it. If you don't like it , fine. But no need to go out of your way to say you hate, hate, hate it and then inform everybody how you played this at 9 years old. But feel free to put up YOUR version.

But feel free to put up YOUR version.

For the few pence it may be worth, listening to this last night (and then going out on YT and listening to several other versions, predominantly piano performances) I was indeed inspired to break this badboy down and re-arrange it for my 5 piece cover band (organ, piano, guitar, bass, drums). I'll make sure not to rain on your parade when we do get it done, though, I'll probably just throw it down in the Lounge or something.

But feel free to put up YOUR version.

For the few pence it may be worth, listening to this last night (and then going out on YT and listening to several other versions, predominantly piano performances) I was indeed inspired to break this badboy down and re-arrange it for my 5 piece cover band (organ, piano, guitar, bass, drums). I'll make sure not to rain on your parade when we do get it done, though, I'll probably just throw it down in the Lounge or something.

No please. Don;t deny us. Feel free to post it. No parade going on here. Of course a band version is different than solo bass. But I'm sure with your exceptional skills it will be very impressive. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I listened to it and, to be honest, I did not like the chorus. Not maybe the chorus in general, but this one. I have a Behringer chorus that does not alter my sound too much and a touch of it is all I can bear. My chorus is pretty unused now, because it cannot be switched off.

A guitarist I played with has a TC Electronic chorus, so warbly that I sometimes felt out of tune with him, while he was just out of tune with himself.

Regarding execution, I like your approach, different from what Stu Hamm had done with his er.. "I want Elisa". I do not like stops, too pronounced. I tend to prefer playing on time from start to finish and to deprecate excessively romantic effects with time, but that's my opinion. I think Glenn Gould could play almost at metronome speed and get in all the pathos he wanted, and that's how I like it.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

"Can't we alljust get along?"Rodney King, 1991.

As far as the chorus effect goes, I don't particularly mind it, but it's not the best chorus I ever heard. Maybe it's the way it's set.

As far as being out of tune, At what point in the course of the song do you hear that, Griff, what minute and second?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

"Can't we alljust get along?"Rodney King, 1991.

As far as the chorus effect goes, I don't particularly mind it, but it's not the best chorus I ever heard. Maybe it's the way it's set.

As far as being out of tune, At what point in the course of the song do you hear that, Griff, what minute and second?

The opening arpeggio, right out of the gate, we have a G# to a C#, which should be a harmonious fourth, and it sounds out, way out. There are several other spots (and I'm not talking about string squeaks), but that stands starkly as the most obvious example.

Wow. I had no idea I was making a post about what Chorus to use. lol Talk about getting caught up in minutia. That's kind of like dismissing a meal by the color of the plate it's served on. Ha. Let that be a lesson to me. : )

You really just don't handle criticism well, do you?

The point being made here is that the settings on your chorus make the whole thing sound out of tune, which is a complete distraction from the performance.

It's not about getting caught up in minutia, it's about an effect ruining the song.

Actually the plates that the food is served on do make a difference. If you've ever had dinner at a restaurant where the bill for you and your wife is upwards of $200, you will notice that the presentation is impeccable.

Meanwhile, as to the original subject, I rarely respond to posts which say "check out my version of something". What's the point?

Any response other than "that's nice" is not really wanted. A response which points out some features of the performance which could be improved is generally not received well.

I have heard nearly all of the bass heroes live and don't really need to hear someone else's attempt at their songs. I've also heard some of the best solo bassists live and there is a reason why they get to record and tour.

In my bass teaching career, people come to me because they want to hear criticism. But a post on a forum is not a bass lesson, so I just keep my mouth shut.

I don't even like the Moonlight Sonata. Of everything Beethoven wrote, I don't know why that has become a favorite.

You really just don't handle criticism well, do you?

The point being made here is that the settings on your chorus make the whole thing sound out of tune, which is a complete distraction from the performance.

It's not about getting caught up in minutia, it's about an effect ruining the song.

You're confused. I'm not even hearing any criticism other than the sound of the chorus, which I think is a little silly, that's all.

Actually the plates that the food is served on do make a difference. If you've ever had dinner at a restaurant where the bill for you and your wife is upwards of $200, you will notice that the presentation is impeccable.

Meanwhile, as to the original subject, I rarely respond to posts which say "check out my version of something". What's the point?

Any response other than "that's nice" is not really wanted. A response which points out some features of the performance which could be improved is generally not received well.

I have heard nearly all of the bass heroes live and don't really need to hear someone else's attempt at their songs. I've also heard some of the best solo bassists live and there is a reason why they get to record and tour.

In my bass teaching career, people come to me because they want to hear criticism. But a post on a forum is not a bass lesson, so I just keep my mouth shut.

I don't even like the Moonlight Sonata. Of everything Beethoven wrote, I don't know why that has become a favorite.

So , if I'm hearing you right, because you've heard great players, there's no need to hear anyone else. Presenting a performance on a bass forum is pointless and you don't think the Moonlight Sonata is very good. Got it. I disagree completely with all 3 points, but you're entitled to your opinion.

This is my mistake. I figured it's a bass community and people might be interested in what others do. I know I am. I like hearing what other guys are doing, even if it isn't my thing.

But like everything else I guess you have to be in the right loop. I've heard people praise mediocre jams and covers by friends and then criticize good original playing by one less known. It's cool. I get it. All good.

which I think is a little silly, that's all.

Which means you're still either not understanding or refusing to acknowledge the reason behind that criticism. I can't judge your performance, because the whole thing sounds out of tune.

Have you ever listened to a song played on an instrument that is slightly out of tune? Did you enjoy that performance in spite of the obvious sour notes?

which I think is a little silly, that's all.

Which means you're still either not understanding or refusing to acknowledge the reason behind that criticism. I can't judge your performance, because the whole thing sounds out of tune.

Have you ever listened to a song played on an instrument that is slightly out of tune? Did you enjoy that performance in spite of the obvious sour notes?

Fair enough. I think it's splitting hairs, but if it's really that distracting, then that's what it is. Incidentally, it's easy enough to remove the chorus. Here it is without, (first track) though I'm not sure it'll change any opinions.

It's 1000% better than what was there. That opening G# still sounds a bit out, but it's not sticking out like a sore thumb. Other than the occasional fret buzz, the performance is adequate.

1000% better all the way to adequate. Awesome.

Nothing wrong with posting a sample of your music on a bass forum, just as long as you don't expect only praise.

Some of the people who do get praised (who are not top players) have made a lot of progress and we have witnessed that.

This.

If that recording had been completely free of fret buzz, and maybe more clearly enunciated the melody, which is the core of that composition, I might have fawned over it a bit more.

Archived