Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, Mr. pINKjIMIpHOTON...

Caevan O’Shite

...what would you know about swapping inductors in a wah? Is it simply a matter of 'out with the old, in with the new' (with proper soldering/wiring quality, of course), or are there any other factors to be observed and addressed, such as other component-values, settings, and the like? Also, is there any polarity/direction orientation that needs to be observed and followed?

I would assume that I can, within reason, just swap inductors with some neatly done desoldering and resoldering, but I want to leave no stone unturned, nothing to chance in my wah-inductor-specific inexpertise... Waddya say, waddya know?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who you calling mister?

:D

(pjp looks over each shoulder)

somebody behind me? is it that damned liberal stuck to my back?

arrrrrrrrrrgh....

ok...here's the deal.

ya got two connections that actually are juiced on ANY inductor in ANY wah.

they're not polarized, tho the outer winding may need to connect to ground to help with noise.

pretty much, take out the old one, slap the new one in the same way, and you're good.

if ya need more info, hit diystompboxes.com, someone more knowledgeable than me (yes, at least 5 billion can claim that title on this paltry world alone) will help. try mark hammer, joe gagan, or rg keene if ya get stuck...they're pretty much the gurus of effects as we mere mortals know them.

FWIW, you could pretty much use the primary of a radio shack output transformer if ya want to. ;)

also, FWIW, i've tried a lot of different wahs with a lot of different inductors...and tho peeps claim this or that sounds better, to me it's pretty much the rest of the circuit that really makes the difference....particularly the gain structure, and sweep of the pedal.

that said...i prefer the tdk inductors every "guru" seems to hate. go figure...but to me, they're mouthier...if a coil of wire can really be "mouthy".

;)

Cool, thanks!

Though if "they're not polarized, tho the outer winding may need to connect to ground to help with noise...pretty much, take out the old one, slap the new one in the same way, and you're good", I don't know how I could go wrong (I'm capable of very good solder-joinery, if I say so myself) or what other info I could need beyond what you've already given me here. Thanks! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

no worries. i don't think it even matters, really...but if you DO pick up an unusual hum, reverse the connections. with most things electronic that are wrapped, the outside end generally goes to ground, or whatever's closer to ground potential.

Archived