Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should all band members play all the time?

EddiePlaysBass

Wow, so "under 10" exclusively means 4 year olds.

Guess I need a new dictionary.

Thank goodness the WONDERFUL kids that show up to most of my gigs have a cheerier and more engaging attitude.

But of course Sweet Willie has it right. As with most things in life, "it depends".

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids are fine. Parents are the problem.

If a kid grabs at an instrument or stand, it is the parent's job to stop them.

I guess to connect this to the original question, it is ok for a band member to stop playing in order to protect the safety of a child (from getting hurt), an instrument (from getting broken) or a parent (from getting yelled at).

Getting wrapped around the axle much about this whole "under 10" thing, Mark?

I generally think that children under 10 should be supervised by the parent literally sitting on the child. The SPECIFIC incident at this SPECIFIC gig involved a SPECIFIC four year old (still under 10), with a tie in to a general opinion that children under 10 should be at home with a sitter or left in the car with the windows down if mom or dad is performing.

With all deference to Sweets (who is absolutely right about situational conditions), this is an upper-end wine bar and the gig Was 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Children under 10 (including 4 year olds) should be home in bed.

By all means, I'm going to stop playing to keep a child under 10 (or a four year old) from becoming squishy paste by having a main fall on their heads or barbecuing themselves while playing behind my boards. I may even stop playing long enough to pop a paernt on the head with a mic stand.

Now I will wait to see who goes off the deep end about leaving the kids in the car with the windows down.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I guess to connect this to the original question, it is ok for a band member to stop playing in order to protect the safety of a child (from getting hurt), an instrument (from getting broken) or a parent (from getting yelled at).

In short, yes. Why? Because if the band suddenly stops because a band member has to prevent a kid from hurting him/herself or the equipment, everybody in the place will know whose fault it is, and the absentee parent will likely be shamed straight out of the building, which is a win/win situation for all involved (or, at least, all who give a shit)...

and the absentee parent will likely be shamed straight out of the building, which is a win/win situation for all involved (or, at least, all who give a shit)...

Bah. These are the same "new age parents" that are too busy suing school districts to ban peanut butter, making dodge ball illegal, requiring wheel chair ramps to access the uneven parallel bars and aiding psychologist in identifying heretofore unheard of learning disabilies so their dim-witted paste eater has the same scholastic opportunites as everyone else.

It's much easier to legislate hard, sharp corners into fluffy circular arcs than to teach a kit to stay away from them in the first place - or better yet - let them get poked by one once and learn a valuable life lesson.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well, in my experience the parents not supervising their children are rich people who think they can buy their way out of everything.

I told one man whose kid wanted to play on a hand truck that he could buy it from me for $150 if he wanted his kid to play on it, otherwise keep her away from it. He was not amused.

Another time when someone wanted to play my instrument and didn't understand why I wouldn't let him, I told him if wanted to play my bass he should give me his car keys and let me drive around while he played. He was not amused either.

I think I need to work on my people skills.

No, you're pretty well spot on regarding points. Maybe delivery is where you need work. ;)

For example, instead of offering to sell the hand truck, tell the gentleman that "this amusement ride is $5 for sixty seconds."

And, instead of insisting that the other guy give you his car keys, suggest perhaps that, in exchange for him playing your bass, you can come to where he works and play with his power tools (or computer, or w/e he uses to ply his trade). Set this up by asking what he does for a living and whether he has to buy his own tools... Auto and truck mechanics in particular will catch on long before you reach the punchline.

Maybe if you politely said that if he would bring his own bass & amp next time he'd like to sit in, you'd discuss with the rest of the band how much to charge him for it, because you don't hold "amateur night" for free...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

When it's nice out, I take my flute and/or mandolin to parks to practice sometimes. Usually nobody bothers me, and if they DO come up to talk, it's often a nice conversation.

But I don't dare bring my GUITAR, at least my stage guitar, because everybody and his brother wants to play it! And sometimes they get mad if I say no!

Bring my bass? Well, it's too heavy just to lug to a park - it's have to a be a gig!

The SPECIFIC incident at this SPECIFIC gig involved a SPECIFIC four year old (still under 10), with a tie in to a general opinion that children under 10 should be at home with a sitter or left in the car with the windows down if mom or dad is performing.

Now I will wait to see who goes off the deep end about leaving the kids in the car with the windows down.

Good point. The windows should be left UP. :rimshot:

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

The SPECIFIC incident at this SPECIFIC gig involved a SPECIFIC four year old (still under 10), with a tie in to a general opinion that children under 10 should be at home with a sitter or left in the car with the windows down if mom or dad is performing.

Good point. The windows should be left UP. :rimshot:

According to my parents, that's what the trunk is for.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

When it's nice out, I take my flute and/or mandolin to parks to practice sometimes. Usually nobody bothers me, and if they DO come up to talk, it's often a nice conversation.

But I don't dare bring my GUITAR, at least my stage guitar, because everybody and his brother wants to play it! And sometimes they get mad if I say no!

I seldom have a problem with people asking me to play my guitar, bass, mando, fiddle, because they're all lefty. If they do ask I have no problem whatsoever saying "no." If they get mad it's their problem, not mine.

As for people sitting in with the band, our policy is that nobody does unless we know them and know that they can play. No exceptions.

As for kids at the gig, the only time we ever see them is at family-friendly events, and have never had a problem.

No, you're pretty well spot on regarding points. Maybe delivery is where you need work. ;)

For example, instead of offering to sell the hand truck, tell the gentleman that "this amusement ride is $5 for sixty seconds."

And, instead of insisting that the other guy give you his car keys, suggest perhaps that, in exchange for him playing your bass, you can come to where he works and play with his power tools (or computer, or w/e he uses to ply his trade). Set this up by asking what he does for a living and whether he has to buy his own tools... Auto and truck mechanics in particular will catch on long before you reach the punchline.

As a former mechanic and construction laborer in my youth, most from those professions would know better than let their kid do that in the first place...

I have 4 kids- 13-5. Our guitar player has 3 kids 10-4. Our kids come to practices and gigs. They've been around it long enough to know better. Others understand we might have to take a few minutes to deal with a kid issue- no big deal.

I don't mind kids. Most of us were curious, energetic kids at some point in time nosing around places that we weren't supposed to be. But, some of the best learning experiences as a kid have been when a patient grownup showed me what was going on and taught me something.

That doesn't mean they have free reign. I have pulled kids aside and explained why they can't be running around on stage. Most are ok with it- but I have ran into the occasion where I have had to tell a parent "hey- your kid is playing with that and won't leave it alone. It costs $1500. I don't feel like buying another one. Do you?

The worst one I had was an outdoor gig where a guy's dog kept coming up and 'marking his territory' real close to our floor wedges (no stage, playing under canopy on ground). I made an announcement, no one came and got the dog. After about the third time, it was "we aren't playing another note until someone keeps this dog from peeing on our stuff." They finally chained him up...

As far as people not playing, we have 7 people in our band- it's been an experience, but people not playing usually pick up a variety of percussion instruments and it works well. We have bongos, cowbells, tambourines, a variety of stuff. I like that better than having people leave the stage- looks too much like karaoke and doesn't promote band unity IMO.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

As a former mechanic and construction laborer in my youth, most from those professions would know better than let their kid do that in the first place...

The guy I was talking about was the one who wanted to try out the man's bass, not the one that was letting his kid play with the hand truck.

Another time when someone wanted to play my instrument and didn't understand why I wouldn't let him, I told him if wanted to play my bass he should give me his car keys and let me drive around while he played. He was not amused either.

I absolutely love it when people ask a question and expect the answer to be "yes". What's up with that?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sorry about the last post- I was in a hurry and didn't see where the thread went. My brother had something similar happen and he hit them with the insurance issue. "I'm sorry, but our liability policy doesn't allow for that. If anyone is injured by our gear during an engagement,it could invalidate our policy."

Back to the OP - no. Our singer has just bought a nice amp for his nice acoustic (a Maton I think) and at practice last night played through every song. While he plays ok rhythm, it just mucked up the 'sound' of the band. I hope he only does this is practice. (He says it helps with the phrasing etc)

Kids: We had a nice wedding gig a couple of years ago - towards the end there were about 5 girls between about 8 and 12 standing on the front of the drum riser playing tambourines and whatever other similar stuff we had, singing la la la, dancing a bit and having a lot of fun. We enjoyed it, and it added to the fun of the evening. Toddlers - um - spoil it for everyone else.

Others playing our gear: Twice we have let someone join in, playing our rhythm git's Hamer. Twice it ended up with blood on it when they cut soft fingers on hard strings. Rhythm git was not happy.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• 2 weeks later...

Archived