Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha digital piano action

rockkeys

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't played one, but I assume their best action is the one in the AvantGrand N3.

The MOX8 is their bottom of the line weighted action. The CP5 is much better. It's not graded, though. (Not that I think that much matters.)

Although not up to date with the newest models, there is a good video about different graded actions on the yamaha web site at

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Multimedia/CP_SpecChart_REV1.swf

Click the icon at the bottom of the Action Type column to view the video.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The best is the action on Avantgrand, it's a digital piano but the keyboard is a real grand piano keyboard (N3 have ivorite for the key covering, as in grand pianos). N2 and N1 has the same keyboard but with synthetic ivory.

Then for the mortals, the best is the action on Yamaha CLP-470 & 480: natural wood, linear-graded hammer. This keyboard have a wooden GH3 keyboard, synthetic ivory for keytops, and the linear graded hammer meaning that each one of the 88 keys is balanced differently, as opposed to "zones" (what all the other DP have).

GH3 keyboards (no natural wood) would be the best after that, followed by GH (graded hammer) and GHS (graded hammer standard).

This is in terms of being the most accurate emulation of a real grand piano, as stated by Yamaha.

The stage pianos have different adaptations of this keyboards. CP1 has also Natural Wood (NW stage), but not balanced, CP5 has NW stage balanced, and so on.

I played them all, and IMHO, the best one is on the CLP-470 or CP5, but the CP5 action seems a bit soft for my playing, so I prefer the action on CLP-470 & 480.

Another good one is the P-155, has the GH keyboard, but very well "tuned", so I really like its action.

As always, it's better to try them, because I found differencies between DPs that has the same technology. For instance, I found clp-470 a bit more confortable than clp-480 (but loved both) although they both have the exact same keyboard...

bottom to top actions will be:

GHS - GH - GH3 - NW - NW linear graded hammer - AVG n1 and N2 - AVG N3

of course, the N3 is the best of all, amazing keyboard, but specially amazing sound!

cheers,

CP1 has also Natural Wood (NW stage), but not balanced, CP5 has NW stage balanced

For clarification, my understanding is that balanced means non-graded.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My bad, you're right! I think I messed up with the translation! :)

What I meant is that CP1 has the same weight all over the keys, while CP5 has the lower keys heavier than the higher ones -like the clavinovas...that would be...eerr... CP1 is non-graded but CP5 is graded? :freak:

What I meant is that CP1 has the same weight all over the keys, while CP5 has the lower keys heavier than the higher ones -like the clavinovas...that would be...eerr... CP1 is non-graded but CP5 is graded? :freak:

The CP1 and CP5 have the exact same keybed, no differences whatsoever.

The CP1 and CP5 have the exact same keybed, no differences whatsoever.

Yup, and not graded.

Archived