Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MOX8 Sustain when switching patches/voices

Pleentza

Hey all,

When playing on the Yamaha MOX8, I've noticed that when I hit and sustain a note with one voice (piano), then when I switch to another voice (brass), it will cut the currently sustained voice!

I've tried this on the S90XS, and it doesn't cut the first voice.

HELP! Is there a setting I need to have switched on?

Enjoy!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HELP! Is there a setting I need to have switched on?

No, the MOX8 does not have patch remain, and will not do what you want.

Bummer! Well, thanks for the info. I love the recording aspect, but it's more about performance for me... I just might have to switch synths.

Sven's mistaken about this. This feature is an example of how you can accomplish different things on the MOX depending on what mode you're in.

On the MOX, if you pick the Mix mode (having first selected the Song or Pattern modes), you can create a patch that consists of 16 sounds. Then when you play the board, the 16 main patch select buttons can be used in real time to select which of those 16 sounds the board is triggering, and when you switch among these sounds, you can sustain one sound while switching to another.

The various modes do have trade-offs... there are things you can do in one mode than you can't do in another. I think the biggest limitation of this mode is that you can't simultaneously do a split or layer on its internal keyboard (or if you can, I haven't figured out how to do it). Another limitation is that within a given set of 16 one-button-access sounds, only 3 can have insert effects enabled. Though to keep that in perspective, you often don't want insert effects enabled anyway if you intend to hold a sound through a patch change, because it will create a glitch in the held sound when you change the patch. (edit: at least, I know that's the behavior on some boards, I'd have to double-check as to whether that happens on the Yamaha.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived