Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EV ZXa1 directionality question

Tobias Åslund

I ordered the 100b. Why? Because I can't imagine how the 90 would be useful. First it's only 10%. Second my venues are wide so I actually need broader coverage. I'll be sticking them on a stand.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd probably get a bag for it.

anyone comment on that hanndle/hand hold as its not really a handle.

Yes. Get a bag. That will make the non-handle a non-issue. I actually scored a JBL Eon10 bag for like $30 from someplace online that's no longer in business. :o The EV bags are like $100 a pop, but with the dimensions in hand you can probably find other more economical bags to fit, if money's tight.

Jazzwee, cool on your new purchase! I hope you like the EV as much as I do ... let me know how it works out for you.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Jazzwee, cool on your new purchase! I hope you like the EV as much as I do ... let me know how it works out for you.

I'm going to put the guilt trip on you. Since I know what you play, I thought you would be the most similar. So I bought this strongly because of your comments. I haven't heard the cab at all. :)

But not to worry. LOL. Can't be worse than the Stagepas 300. Just not happening for piano on that.

My cheap chinese 100W 8" passed - Behringer's 208D did not - it sounded like an AM-radio in comparison...

Interesting! What cheap Chinese speakers are those? Apart from the obvious weaknesses on the low end, I thought the 208D really didn't sound bad. Not nearly as good as the EV ZXA1, but apart from bass and max output level, I wouldn't put them far from the QSC K8, unless my memory is deceiving me...

They are available from a Swedish chain of music stores under the name JJlabs FP208:

http://www.jam.se/ljudljus/pasystemhogtalare/A25819/

They are probably available in other countries under some other name - obviously produced in China in some "no name" factory and then rebranded as JJlabs.

About the Behringers - yes no bottom end whatsoever, and I found quite "middy", seemed like they had a hump in the 500-1000 Hz region. Bigger Behringers - 212D and up I found much better.

My JJlabs are still small in size - wider and deeper then the Behringers, but still only about 8 kg (16 lbs). They do produce a much better low end - really impressive with that small size. The bass from my friend's Little Phatty sounded really good - as well as Simon Phillips drums in the above stated Toto ballad..! :) Nord pianos - also really nice.

Downsides: low output - only 100W, no limiter, so they are overloaded too easily and I feared i blew them a few times, but they still sound good. Other limitation - no pole mount. Wall mount bracket is included though... I have my JJlabs on a pair of these:

http://www.thomann.de/se/millenium_as2001.htm

Well - they will be replaced by the EV's next week. :) But I'll keep the JJlabs for rehearsal monitoring.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I ordered the 100b. Why? Because I can't imagine how the 90 would be useful. First it's only 10%.

10%..?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I ordered the 100b. Why? Because I can't imagine how the 90 would be useful. First it's only 10%. Second my venues are wide so I actually need broader coverage.

The 90 is useful primarily if you need to restrict the off axis frequency response in the *other* direction. The difference between 90 and 100 degrees on one axis is relatively minor, but the difference between 50 and 100 degrees on the other axis is not.

The nice feature on the EVs is that you can rotate the HF component so you can decide whether you want to constrain the coverage horizontally or vertically, or switch it depending on whether you're using the speaker horizontally or vertically. OTOH, with the 100, it's nice to never have to think about it, if you don't need to have that constraint.

A minor point is that I think the 90s are just a bit brighter then the 100s when you are directly on axis. I guess it makes sense, the acoustic energy has to go somewhere, so to speak. The 100s don't fall off so quickly off axis (so you get a more consistent sound over a wider area), but the 90s are a little brighter when you are positioned "just right."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I didn't realize the other axis was much narrower. Interesting.

Actually, I looked at my order and it didn't even specify if they put in 100b or 90b. I'm worried now that they'll just give me whatever is in stock.

I bought the official bag for it, which was REALLY hard to find the part number for (ask me if interested, and I'll try to find the buried receipt).

I highly recommend the official bag as it is a good fit and is well-padded, plus it's easy to carry and has extra pouches for cables etc.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I bought the official bag for it, which was REALLY hard to find the part number for (ask me if interested, and I'll try to find the buried receipt).

I highly recommend the official bag as it is a good fit and is well-padded, plus it's easy to carry and has extra pouches for cables etc.

Yes Mark - please do find it.

Geekgurl also had some alternate bag that was cheaper.

I don't think you'll have too small coverage with the 90x50 either. I looked at some other monitors and most have dispersion in the region 90x45 to 90*70, so 100 x 100 is not really the standard, in this size and price class. The QSC K-series stands out with a conical 90 degree pattern.

With the 90x50 - Just make sure you'll have the horn rotated so you'll get 90 degree horizontally. The 50 degree spread in the vertical plane will do fine, unless you're on a high stage and the audience is on a balcony as well as the floor. Or something like that... :)

Directionality would probably save that sound energy outdoors so you'd have better reach, particularly. Inside though, that bounce is probably good for extra reverb.

Now - I'm not sure what model I got since it wasn't on the invoice. I suppose either one will work for me. I presume they will ship whatever is most popular (I wonder which that is).

Unfortunately, Leo's Pro Audio doesn't date their receipts, but flipping through the ones I have, this looks like it MUST be the bag for the E/V monitor:

CB1 ($80) -- yes it's expensive, but I've generally been unhappy when I've tried to cheap out on such stuff. But see if Geekgirl's is a good fit. My bandleader cheaped out and was VERY sorry; it was too loose a fit (generic bag from Musician's Friend) and he has resorted to wrapping it in a blanket to carry it around.

They DO make a cheaper one at E/V that also fits and gives less protection (no padding), but you may be OK with it if it's primarily to protect from light rain and make it easier to carry. The CB1 is an all-weather bag, which is why I spent extra for it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Directionality would probably save that sound energy outdoors so you'd have better reach, particularly.

Good point, the narrower dispersion probably gives you greater throw, without tossing as much "sonic energy" up to the sky.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Exactly -- we even make some parabolic speakers for super-long throw.

I've used my own company's UPJ series at a few gigs with co-workers that bought them, and learned quickly the benefits of having the ability to switch between 50 degrees and 90 degrees coverage.

It allows the same speaker to be useful at small clubs and large venues or outdoors.

Unfortunately, Leo's Pro Audio doesn't date their receipts, but flipping through the ones I have, this looks like it MUST be the bag for the E/V monitor:

CB1 ($80) -- yes it's expensive, but I've generally been unhappy when I've tried to cheap out on such stuff. But see if Geekgirl's is a good fit. My bandleader cheaped out and was VERY sorry; it was too loose a fit (generic bag from Musician's Friend) and he has resorted to wrapping it in a blanket to carry it around.

They DO make a cheaper one at E/V that also fits and gives less protection (no padding), but you may be OK with it if it's primarily to protect from light rain and make it easier to carry. The CB1 is an all-weather bag, which is why I spent extra for it.

Mine was not that bad of a fit to be resorting to blankets, I promise! LOL. But it is cheaper ... the only bag I specifically found for the EV was online, at three different merchants if I recall, and all colluded on the price being $90 to $100. I dunno, I like mine fine but I'm not gonna sit here and say it's better than the offical bag; it's not completely form-fitting but nicely padded and absolutely does the job for me. Maybe I'm just not that picky. YMMV.

I can't locate the exact bag I bought anymore (it was more square than this one I'm linking to) but this is the other one I found and would have been happy with:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-EON10-BAG-1-Carry-bag-EON10/dp/B002LCB67Q

Says $65 here but I think I've seen them for $10 cheaper than that. Can't remember where and doesn't matter now, since that was months ago.

And Jazzwee, sh!t, you have me nervous now, LOL. Watch you totally hate this cab, ha ha. No, I can't imagine that happening, but still ... the pressure! ;)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Hey, what's up with all the Hallowe'enized screen names? Did our illustrious moderator play a trick on us? Or did youse guys find a way to temporarily change your screen names?

Inquiring ghouls want to know.

Hey, what's up with all the Hallowe'enized screen names? Did our illustrious moderator play a trick on us? Or did youse guys find a way to temporarily change your screen names?

Inquiring ghouls want to know.

See here.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1040400/Registraton#Post1040400

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No wonder I missed that one; I was out of town for six days visiting my folks back east.

I'll leave mine as-is though as I try to avoid anonymity. Unfortunately most forums (even Amazon.com for writing book/music reviews) don't let you use your real/full name. This in fact is the only forum where I can use my name.

Up to you. It's all in fun, and if you pick a good one, we would still recognize you while it is changed.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As you can see, I've left it as-is. :-)

I don't take this stuff in vein. :-)

Back to Ghoul Girl's rec:

That's a WAY better bag (and fit) than the Musician's Gear(?) bag my bandleader picked up.

My main concern would be that the JBL EON is very well-known and it's emblazened (embalmed? :-)) on the bag to be seen for a great distance, encouraging thieves.

I was probably the first guy to announce the arrival here of these things a few years back at NAMM. I thought they looked cool, ultra-lightweight and can't beat the price.

I remember the EV guy was playing a James Taylor CD through them and they sounded good-even through the NAMM din. That spring I also remember making numerous calls and sending emails to the LA EV rep as to when & where they'd be available to hear. As is the norm with this guy, never heard back...great CS.. :/ So the ZXA1s kinda fell off my radar.

I'm pretty much set for DP speakers with the TT08As and PA mains with the TT22As but last weekend I REALLY could have used a vocal monitor. I'm thinking of ordering one of these little guys for a vocal monitor. If I dig it, I'll probably make it a pair.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I would say it's the best vocal monitor I've ever used, other than my own company's uber-expensive gear. :-)

Although we've been talking about it primarily from a keyboardist's point of view, and there are reasons why some people may be better off with QSC K10 etc., for vocals I feel this is pretty much the no-brainer choice as it is so transparent and balanced. Very natural sounding for every voice I have thrown at it, male or female.

The JBL Eon always sounded a bit honky to me in the mids, and didn't seem to project as evenly.

The JBL LSR-series studio monitors that I bought this year are the first JBL's for home or touring that I have ever liked. I allowed my ears to erase my prejudice against that brand. They've turned a corner in the past couple of years, but I'm not sure if this applies to their consumer/prosumer-level stage monitors or not.

I agree, I'm more impressed with the new JBLs. I've owned the original Eons (10" and 15") and the 15" G2, and was never really happy with any of them... but I think the JBL PRX625 are excellent. I haven't heard the other models in the PRX range, but I'd be optimistic about them based on the 625.

Does anyone have any experience with JBL Eon10 G2 compared to EV ZXa1. Curious to learn if a modern 8' speaker like the EV has more body to the sound than the older 10' eon.

Thanks,

I rounded up a few amps (including these two) recently and gave my $.02 on their comparison

Link here

As a follow-up, I used the ZXA1 last night with a loud band with synth & piano and it held up fine. Sounded great and projected very well. Really amazing for such a small package.

Oh, and regarding the bag. I found the official EV bag reasonably priced online and used it last night. It's a good bag - well padded, well made overall. The weak point is the plastic rings that you clip a shoulder strap on to - one of them broke last night with pretty gentle use. It looks like the fabric strap that is actually attached to the bag is solid, so I'm just going to find a metal ring to replace the plastic ones. Other than that it's a fine bag. Just a head's up though...

Wow, a lot of talk for a simple issue.

100's for stage monitors, so everyone in the band can hear you.

90's for mains, so they penetrate farther back into the room.

If you use them for both, you might want to go with the 90's and make sure they're oriented to get the best coverage on stage. I.e., 50 degrees vertical and 90 degrees horizontal, in most situations.

Archived