Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

kala u-bass 5 string, strings sticking to nut

bassin bill

so i have one and i need some input for a problem i have. in case you've never seen one: http://www.kalaukulele.com/U-BASS_Solid.asp

it is a pretty cool axe and i hope to make mine really usable.

because the strings are urethane and the nut is plastic the strings stick in the slots making tuning a big problem. i have to pull the strings back and forth through the nut and hope the tension is is exactly correct which is near impossible.

the things i've thought of are teflon tape (but i don't think it will stay in the slots), and these messy ideas: lemon oil, nut sauce, finger ease. i don't want lubricant coming onto the neck and strings.

does anybody have ideas or knowledge on how to resolve this.

other people were curious of this axe so here's my take. it is a decent sounding axe and is usable but sustain is ltd. you can't bend the strings very well because they roll instead of bending. you can't really use a pick because it sticks to the strings but i'm a finger player so that's not an issue for me. it does neck dive but it is so light this is not a big problem. 1 thing that does bother me is there is no place to rest your arm on the plucking hand because the body is so small. i may eventually bring it to someone and design a light weight body extension that folds out or is removable for packing into the case. it is a really cool idea but i wonder if they used nylon string (wrapped) if it might work better.

B

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an Ashbory for many years. It was very difficult to tune because the strings were so stretchy. If I broke I string, it took about a month for the new string to settle down.

Nylon string guitars have that issue as well.

I put talcum powder on the strings so my fingers wouldn't get stuck to them. Maybe that would help your nut problem.

yeah, I know, I'm a nut problem.

:) graphite and talcum power are both great ideas. i'm pretty sure i have powder around the house or can easily get it. not sure where to p/u graphite. will test this by next weekend and let you guys know. thanks for the reply.

B

p.s. yeah my strings are getting into the double wrap on the post because of stretch. i think i'll leave it and hope it never goes triple wrap.

B

Careful with the graphite. Eventually, that crap gets EVERYWHERE. And it's conductive.

Graphite powders and colloidal graphite suspentions should be available at most high-end hardware and home improvemetn stores, possibly auto part stores.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

other people were curious of this axe so here's my take. it is a decent sounding axe and is usable but sustain is ltd. you can't bend the strings very well because they roll instead of bending. you can't really use a pick because it sticks to the strings but i'm a finger player so that's not an issue for me. it does neck dive but it is so light this is not a big problem. 1 thing that does bother me is there is no place to rest your arm on the plucking hand because the body is so small. i may eventually bring it to someone and design a light weight body extension that folds out or is removable for packing into the case. it is a really cool idea but i wonder if they used nylon string (wrapped) if it might work better.

... and the good points?

couldn't you just make graphite powder out of a lead pencil?

If my wife saw me running a caprenter's pencil through one of her microplane graters, the would be one less bass player in the world.

I'll take my chances at Lowe's.

Archived