Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT. Headphones

Steve Nathan

SONY sent me a pair of 7520 phones to try. Officially, I have not yet committed to endorsing them, so technically this is not (yet) spam, but

Holy Cr*p. These are incredible sounding phones. I know from time to time we have some discussion on these lines, and everybody has their favorites. I'm hoping to get my hands on a pair of similar price point Grados to compare, but for listening to mixes when speakers are not available, (like late at night and such), the 7520s sound amazingly clear, open and true.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The studios all have the usual suspects, but for years I've carried SONY 7506s. They are a little hyped on the top end, which makes it easier to keep your ear to the high hat, click and/or acoustic guitar.

I'm loving these 7520s though. I can still hear the top end, but the rest of the frequency spectrum is evenly represented and lush sounding. The joy of hearing that much width and depth is pretty awesome. They are around 5 times the price of the 7506s so it's not a fair comparison, but I will still probably spring for a few more pairs.

I guess you could say they sound just like you'd expect $500 phones to sound. :laugh:

I've used 7506s for so long that the idea of moving away from the Sony paradigm frightens me. I know exactly what they sound like. Glad to know there is a suitable upgrade.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived