Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newby help needed....

PhilipD

First, I apologize if I'm not following protocol for this forum. I just signed up today and, well, here's my situation. At 60, I'm embarking on a second career as a musician. I've played piano all my life, but a lot more recently. My primary instrument is a Steinway Model A, so I'm a lucky guy. But, I've started playing gigs with some pretty good musicians and I need to upgrade my portable gear. I need a good 88 keyboard for jazz. The Rolands sound and feel good to me. But, I also want to play blues and other music with organs. At the Portland Blues Festival this summer, the keyboard dudes seemed to all have a stage piano, Roland or Yamaha, and, predominantly, a Nord Electro 3 for Hammond and other organ sounds. I have played the RD 700 and 300 NX's, the Korg SV1, and the Nord. Short of downloading the manuals, I can't find a comparison of the differences between the RD 700 and the RD 300. Is it the number of piano sounds? Anyway, could one of you pros tell me briefly the difference between these two models? I would be most appreciative.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that's not following protocol for this forum. :rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Welcome Phillip...I am by no means a professional, but IMHO playing something you are comfortable with far surpasses the sounds being emitted.....I have played some pianos that should be classified as firewood and have got compliments....sometimes style trumps sound....
Gear: Roland RD700, Yamaha MotifES6, Roland Fantom FA76, Roland JP-8000, Roland AX-7, Roland Juno-106.

IMHO playing something you are comfortable with far surpasses the sounds being emitted.....I have played some pianos that should be classified as firewood and have got compliments....sometimes style trumps sound....

+1 to a degree ... sound is still important, but with the quality level of samples out there these days, to the listening audience it's almost irrelevant (as been proven by all the compliments and I others get on the 18yr old Kurzweil piano sample); what DOES matter is how musical a keyboard feels to YOU. Also, do you have a budget, weight, and/or size constraint (to fit in a smaller car, for example) you want to impose on the keyboard of your choice? Narrowing criteria goes a loooonng way toward defining what is actually the "perfect" or "best" keyboard ... for you.

And welcome to the forum!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

As for the differences between RD 700 and 300, I believe the main one is weight of the unit and corresponding weightedness of the keys; the 700 is heavier and has a more piano-like action. The 300 is under 40 pounds and has a different type of action ... still playable as piano, but a lighter action. Search this forum for differences of the new NX series and the old GX series; I and others here prefer the old actions and find the new NX ones too painful to play after a while.

As for sound engine differences, I believe there are some, but I wouldn't be able to tell you any more than you can glean from the manuals you have downloaded.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Welcome, Philip !

I think Geekgurl's advice is spot on. It's a good idea to check out the GX series, as well as the newer NX models. There have been plenty of discussions on this forum about the various RD keyboards.

You mentioned Yamaha keyboards in your post as well. It might be helpful to play and compare various 88's, if you haven't done so already. Casio also has a strong contender in their PX-3, and PX-330 models; some folks here really like the feel and sound of those instruments for live performance.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Archived