Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

King Crimson Question...

I'm putting together a practice video to familiarize myself with the Vegas editing program (NO commercial potential!) That's when it hit me... There's a King Crimson tune...toward the end, everything stops, and out of the speakers come some of the CREEPIEST VIOLIN SOUNDS EVER RECORDED. (I believe they call it "col legno" in violin circles.) Any idea which tune this is, and from which album? Thanks, and despite other posts to the contrary, THESE FORUMS RAWK!
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big Crim-Head here... I'm not sure what song you're referring to. I would guess it would be from the mid-seventies Crimson, meaning, off of either Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, or Red (which only has one song with violin on it). It could be "Fracture," the last tune off the album "Starless and Bible Black." About six minutes into the song, the beat stops, and you're left hearing feedback and some violin screeching, but then the song comes back.

I think you must be talking about the opening track of [i]Lark's Tongues In Aspic[/i] -- "Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Part 1." There's a few points where everybody drops out except Cross's violin playing a "creepy" figure, then Wetton's bass kind of swells up within it playing some fuzz-box line, and then it builds with percussion and finally Bruford rolls into this great savage hammering riff played by the whole band.

Archived