Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey man, izzat freedom rock? Well, turn it up!

Hungarian Says Rock Defeated Communism Sun Nov 9,10:09 AM ET By M.R. KROPKO, Associated Press Writer CLEVELAND - Rock music played lead in giving Hungarian baby boomers the resolve to bring down their communist state, says one of those reformers who today is a government official. Andras Simonyi, Hungary's ambassador to the United States, spent an hour Saturday night discussing the impact of Western songs on Eastern European politics before an invitation-only audience of 250 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Simonyi, 51, was a devoted fan of the Beatles, Cream, Traffic and Jimi Hendrix (news) when their releases weren't officially permitted in Hungary. Records and tapes sometimes were smuggled in or recorded from foreign radio broadcasts. Hungary became a democracy in 1990 — after more than 40 years of communism. The nation of 10 million joined NATO (news - web sites) in 1999 and will formally join the European Union (news - web sites) on May 1, 2004. "By keeping in touch with the music scene in the West, it kind of kept me sane and with the feeling I was part of the free world," said Simonyi, an economist by training. The ambassador was introduced by defense and anti-terrorism consultant Jeff Baxter, who once played guitar with The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan (news - web sites). Baxter and Simonyi said they would like to establish an institute to study rock music's global influences. "There is a commonality to the music and freedom," Baxter said. "To Andras, Western music was an open window of fresh air in a very repressive society." Simonyi impressed an audience member from Hungary. "He represents quite well his generation," said Judit Gerencser, a 27- year-old student at Cleveland State University. "I have heard about this from my parents, but I never really heard about just how much this music was influential."

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by skipclone 1: [b]Defense and anti-terrorism consultant? now there`s a career change.[/b][/quote]Some of us run them concurrently! :D Interesting viewpoint. I've always laughed at musicians (Sting, Bono, etc) who think their music is going to "change the world", but maybe there's something to it...

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b] [quote]Originally posted by skipclone 1: [b]Defense and anti-terrorism consultant? now there`s a career change.[/b][/quote]Some of us run them concurrently! :D [/b][/quote]`this is my guitar, this is my gun, one is for music, one is for fun...`

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I saw these guys at Spaceland in Los Angeles (Silver Lake) a few years ago...pretty good. And as a bonus, I got to dance with a Hungarian girl! :D

Archived