Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Awesome Soundman Stories

jcadmus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my good friends does sound in two of my favorite rooms in town. Whenever I know I am going to play at one of those places, I am happy because I know I will get to hang out with my friend all night... and I know he will do a good job on our mix. He also has been known to make board recordings of our sets for free... because he is awesome. I also dig the music he chooses for the between-sets periods.

There. How's that?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I presume this means GOOD soundman stories?

Sure, I got one.

I was playing a major concert hall a while back -- you know, one of those places where they have REAL soundmen.

WHen it came time. over the P.A. he said," lets hear the bass."

I played a few notes and he asked how it sounded to me. I said "good!" Then he asked for the lowest notes I'd play and to slap a few notes to judge the peaks. He asked me again "How'd that sound." I said "good." He said; "Okay, thanks. "

THAT was the soundcheck. Total time -- about a minute. And for the entire show the bass sounded awesome.

That's how it's done

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

One of the local clubs employs the greatest sound guy ever. Had much the same experience as Plangentmusic. Showed, setup, plugged in. He had me play a couple of riffs and done. Total time from when I walked into the door till done was about 10 minutes.

Everytime we play there it goes smooth as butter. Love that place!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Me: I'm running out ofthe DI in my amp, and it's adjustable, so let me know if you need more or less signal. And please turn off the phantom to my channel so it won't interfere.

Soundman: Awesome. Sounds good.

Diesel.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

A friend and I went to Yoshi's in Oakland last night to hear a band. The band was the Escovedo family band which had Pete Escovedo, his daughter Sheila E., two sons, and a full band.

There were 11 people on stage, four of them percussionists. You could everything clearly.

Yoshi's Oakland and Yoshi's San Francisco have great sound systems and the people who run them always do a great job.

A few:

The guy who owns one of the sound companies that do sound in several clubs around town really doesn't run bars himself anymore - he has his guys do those gigs, and he does a lot of corporate stuff. But he does occasionally run us because he likes to. Also, he's who we hire for remotes.

Anyway, not only does he always make sure he nails all of the vocal effects (echoes where they belong - even on single words), but he's so enthusiastic about it, that he requested that we learn a particular song because he always wanted to run sound on it and do the effects.

The same guy helped our bass player dial in his SansAmp when he first got it so that it sounded as close as possible to his SVT-CL and 8x10 cabinet in FOH and in his ears.

The same guy occasionally dresses up in the same outfit as us at remotes - he even brought a jean jacket full of buttons from the 80s and wore a wig to one of them. Talk about being a part of the band!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Like most churches, we have volunteers doing sound. Most have a hard time getting anything right.

An exception is my good friend, who is not only concerned with how the FOH sounds, but will walk on stage, listen to the monitor mixes with us and tweak as necessary. He cares about whether we can hear ourselves and how it sounds to us. It's really just adding a level of communication, but it makes a huge difference.

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

We played an outdoor gig this past weekend, on a gazebo with a stage about five feet off the ground. It was an evening show which would extend until after the sun went down, but the gazebo had a ceiling fixture with three light bulbs to provide illumination.

But we can't figure out how to turn them on. There's no switch anywhere. Our sound man goes into the crawlspace under the gazebo stage and sees the power box supplying the fixture. The power line to the fixture has been cut. No lights. We had been told the gazebo had illumination, so we didn't bring any of our own.

It's getting darker, but we play on. Suddenly, the light bulbs in the ceiling fixture come on. Miracle! Turns out, as we were playing, our sound man crawled back under the gazebo, stripped out the cut wires, soldered the two broken ends together, taped them up, and voila! Lights!

And the song we were playing when the lights miraculously came on? Todd Rundgren's "I Saw the Light." I kid you not.

PS--the sound for the show was awesome too.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Great story! I've found that the best sound/light guys almost have to be electricians sometimes as well since they never know what they're going to run into as far as power at some places.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The other part of this story that I did not include above is that at one point we appealed to anyone in the audience who lived nearby to see if they could bring us a couple of floor lamps we could use on stage. Sure enough, a few minutes later somebody showed up with a couple of lamps. We plugged both in and I reached over to turn one of them on. Well, there must have been something wrong with the switch, because I got an electric shocked that travelled up my left arm all the way over to my right, which was resting on my strings. It hurt like a mother-effer and scared me good. :freak:

Unfortunately, I did not get any bass playing super powers after that, which I was kind of hoping for.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Archived