Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 vs Privia PX3 acoustic piano sounds

analogman1

Hey folks,

I currently own the Privia PX3. Any opinions how the acoustic piano samples, and touch, compare with the Korg SV-1? I know that the electrics and other sounds in the Korg are much better (i.e. "authentic"); I'm just wondering how well the acoustic pianos are compared with the Privia. I have not had a chance to compare them yet.

Your expert opinions are most welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Tom :)

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not tried the PX3, but a choir I work with has a PX320 and I've found it surprisingly good, even through its built-in speakers. I also briefly owned an SV-1.

I think you would find the APs in the Korg a step up, but not a hugely significant one, compared with the top-end offerings from Yamaha, Roland and Nord for example. The SV-1's APs are a bit cold and have a rather short decay.

Action-wise I'd take the Casio keybed any day of the week. It's not spectacular but it's quite responsive compared with the sluggish RH3 action on the Korg.

Where I think you would see significant improvement is the electro mechanicals such as Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet. These are all factors better on the Korg. But it depends, of course, how important those sounds are to you.

Finally, bear in mind that the PX3 has the SV-1 beat hands down in the controller stakes, so if already do, or you plan to, drive other bits of gear from your main board, the Korg's not the ideal choice.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Speaking in terms of the AP sounds only, it's a tough call. The big problem with the SV's AP sounds is that they have an incredibly obvious, awful-sounding loop point. If you release any given note/chord before the loop kicks in, the sound is pretty darn good -- not on par with something like the CP1/5/50, but better than the Casio IMO. But, once the loop starts, it goes from sounding like a good piano sample, to sounding like an annoying, buzzy FM patch. Honestly, I don't think I've heard a sample loop done that badly in a pro board since the early '90s, and I was kinda shocked that Korg released it that way.

However...

If you're playing music that doesn't require long sustained notes and chords, you'll never notice it. That's a huge limitation, obviously, but depending on what you're using it for, possibly an acceptable one.

So it's sort of a matter or preference and priorities: would you prefer a sound that's a little less realistic and responsive, but is consistent throughout its duration? Or one that starts off sounding better, but ends up sounding like ass?

As for other factors, I agree with everything Aidan said. The SV absolutely smokes the Privia for EPs, Clavs, and most of the other sounds it has. But I like the Privia action much better. How much, you ask? Enough that when I upgraded to the Kronos, rather than getting the 88-note version (with the same action as the SV), I got the 61-note version and am controlling with... my Privia.

As always, YMMV...

Does anyone know if the SV1 can do layers and splits? I realize there are no menu screens on the board, but I'm wondering if it is possible to set up and save using the computer interface. I understand Korg was going for vintage look and feel, but this seems like a real shortcoming. Otherwise I thought the sounds were great, especially the EP's and I liked the intuitive effects controls.
Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

There are some patches downloadable from Korg which feature splits and layers but at the moment at least, you cannot create new ones yourself.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

There are some patches downloadable from Korg which feature splits and layers but at the moment at least, you cannot create new ones yourself.

Thanks for the info!

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

Finally, bear in mind that the PX3 has the SV-1 beat hands down in the controller stakes, so if already do, or you plan to, drive other bits of gear from your main board, the Korg's not the ideal choice.

I have little experience with the Casio and don't dispute Aidan's contention but I own an SV-1 and have to say that one thing that I like the best about it is how simply you can assign MIDI with it to other modules or boards (in my case an NE3 and a Motif XS6). You can't send sophisticated program changes but to use it as a weighted contoller is very fast and easy.

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

For me the SV-1 is a nice board to take out to gigs. I have no complaints about any of the sounds really except to say the Rhodes sounds tend to pronounce the tine a bit too much... however I think dirtying them up solves that problem. Interesting that in Soundpack 2 Korg made some new rhodes sounds where they left out the top velocity levels in order to keep it mellow; though this does tend to make them less dynamic.

Regarding the acoustic piano, I've no complaints at all... very nice character and I'd say as good as the general sounds in the RD700GX even.

All said.. if Korg release the SV-2 with the Kronos piano and EPs I'll be on it ;-)

Thanks everyone! I will play the SV-1 again. I have no real complaints with the Acoustic Piano in my PX-3; but the other sounds (other than "pure EP", which is a very basic Rhodes) aren't that happening. So I still have to take out my laptop and run virtual synths. I'd much rather use the laptop ONLY for playing organ, and use the something else like the SV-1 for everything else. I really need to sort this out, and maybe then the Privia will hit the "Garage Sale" above! Time will tell...

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Archived