Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

crossword puzzle: slightly o.t.

jeremy c

Hi, I just finished this morning's crossword puzzle. It was in the SF Chronicle, The LA Times, and I'm betting a lot of other papers as well.

Clue no. 1 across was "it may be picked" and the answer was

"bassguitar".

Now I'll get seriously o.t.

I do crossword puzzles all the time and find mistakes in them. This morning's NYT puzzle had the answer "reata" for the clue "Spanish for "rope"", and we all know that it is usually spelled riata.

A while ago, to celebrate the SF Giants winning the World Series (that world only includes the US and Canada ;) ), the clue was, "Singer of Help Me Rhonda and Giants Pitcher" and the answer was "Brian Wilson". However, Al Jardine sang lead on that song and there is even a recording on the web of Brian arguing with father Murray about that.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know who does the crossword for the SF Chron, but I doubt any of those clues would be allowed in others, because of the vague associations you cited.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Well, the only crossword I do with any regualarity is whatever is published in the Stars and Stripes. I used to do the WaPo or NYT crosswords, but I stopped having, or making, the time to do so.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I do the NYTimes Sunday crossword each week. It occasionally has bass related clues and answers. The last one I recall involved Sting from the Police.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Clue no. 1 across was "it may be picked" and the answer was

"bassguitar".

I'm guessing that there is some reference there to being low, as in low hanging fruit is easily picked, or am I overthinking it?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived