Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Chorus boxes

Dpendery

What is the best chorus unit being sold these days, with lush, rich presence and sweetness and just the right orchestral sound, without being "too much" or in any way artificial? I hope that description hits home. I had, I think, a Digitech many years ago that I liked, but it seemed fairly simplistic. Thank you for your help.
Long live rock.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like the Boss Bass Chorus because it has that adjustable filter that lets you keep the lows out of the chorused signal. It sounds much better that way.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hands down, perfectly fitting your described mission-statement, and the ONLY chorus-pedal that I've owned- the only chorus I've liked so far of all the ones I've tried- is the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus (full name: Stereo Chorus/Flanger + Pitch Modulator). 100% all-analog, yet clean, clear and full-range enough for use with bass, keys, any and all acoustic instruments- and killer for electric guitars, clean or dirty. Sounds fantastic for plugged-in or mic'ed acoustic guitars, especially with some plate-style reverb.

It's extremely low-noise, and when in Pitch-Modulator Mode, there's actually less background-noise when you kick it on than there is when the pedal is off! Expensive, but easily worth it compared to other chorus pedals, most of which are a waste of money IMHO. I owned an original "vintage" TC SC/F+ that I bought just as the original line went out of production; it was destroyed in a fire, and I replaced it with a "new" TC SC/F +. I loaned it out to someone, and I'm having a hard time getting it back from them!

:rawk: The SC/F also has a built-in preamp that will give you an active unity-gain buffer on up to 15db of serious boost; with or without the modulation effects engaged, the preamp/buffer is always on- and it is EXCELLENT for kicking a tube-amp into searing overdrive! This kicks @$$ with Fender Champs, Deluxes, Pro Reverbs... !! :cool:

If you do get a TC SC/F, let me know here, I've got a few cool tips and tricks for ya. :thu:

The chorus-pedals that I haven't tried yet, that I think I might also really like, would be the Fulltone ChoralFlange (out of production), and its successor, the soon-to-be-released Fulltone CFV-2 Chorus/Flange/Vibrato (not yet on the market, but said to be coming soon). You might find a used ChoralFlange, or you might wait a little while for the CFV-2 to come out. Of special interest, the CFV-2 has fully stereo INPUTS and internal signal-path, as well as outputs; apparently unique among chorus-pedals.

It's worth noting that Eric Johnson's two favorite chorus-pedals have been the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger +, and the Fulltone ChoralFlange.

I would also have high expectations of the Carl Martin Chorus X II; I would expect it to be in the TC SC/F camp as far as clarity and chorus-style.

If you like the classic/vintage EH Small Clone chorus sound (think: the chorus effect used by Kurt Cobain, such as on Nirvana's "Come As You Are"), then I'd recommend the Analog Man Chorus, Bi-Chorus, or Mini Chorus pedals. However, I didn't think that the EH Small Clone or the Analog Man Chorus line quite fit your above-stated requirements.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My favorite is my old Memory Man pedal.

I've always wanted to try a TC Electronics. Those are supposed to be better and way less noisy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

My favorite is my old Memory Man pedal.

I've always wanted to try a TC Electronics. Those are supposed to be better and way less noisy.

:crazy: Ooh, ooh, I :love:LOVE :love: the old EH Deluxe Memory Man echo pedals, especially with the modulation kicked-in! But they're a little noisy, and I don't think they quite fit what Dpendery is looking/listening for here.

i hate chorus...the olan mills of guitar processing stagnation.

genericism at it's worst...to me, anyways.

that said, the tc is about the most transparent of them all,

the original clone theorys were cool as hell but twice as noisy...

you may wanna try an old red/purple ross flanger, they cross over into chorus territory, and sound really nice.

the classic is the boss pedals tho...try any number of them, and see what resonates with you. watch for "noise" on attacks tho, sometimes they can be overdriven to distortion on note attacks.

avoid at all cost anything made and marketed as a chorus by electro harmonix...at this point, all their chorus pedals are so noisy they aren't even good door stops.

Jimi, I have a recent EHX Stereo Clone Theory, and it's very cool - admittedly, I use it for sea-sick note-bending sounds, but that's what I like in a Chorus pedal.

The Boss pedals are a standard, as Jimi says, and the CE-5 is close to the classic Boss sound - IMHO, it's too polite a sound to come out of a guitar amp, unless you're Adrian Belew, or Pat Metheny. The reissue Ibanez CS9 will also give you a nice 80's sound for not too much money.

If you want to be able to switch flavors of Modulation/Chorus, at the stomp of a footswitch, look into the Eventide Modfactor, or the big blue Line 6 Modulation Modeler - the Line 6 box is still around, just not as popular as they were a while back.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

i bought one of the first re-issues of the ehx stereo clone theory, after contacting them to see if it was the same circuit as the original. they pretty much lied. it was noisy as hell and completely unusable, so i dumped it to gc. got bent over on it, hard.

now an ORIGINAL clone theory with the chorus/flange switch...

that's another beast entirely!!!

If you can find one, The old 18 volt Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus boxes (the big, metal-cased light green ones) sound awfully good.

I really like the Visual Sound H20 which is a lush, but not overbearing chorus, coupled with a warm analog delay. First sounds out of it were right from Shine On, You Crazy Diamond.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

I have the EH Deluxe Memory Man, which I love but it's too big and powering it on my board is a pain. I worn one out after 7 years or so, this one's holding on.

I have an EH PolyChorus which is cool but too much... same size/power pain... I use it for noisy improv-type gigs, mostly... and the double-track setting in cool.

lastly, I have a new DeltaLabs Chorus that cost me $30. Eh... it gets used because its small but I usually turn on my Boss Delay or MXR Phase 100 instead...

I've got the DigiTech Multi Chorus. Nice pedal, but it seems to have an icepicky, high end sheen to it. That does make it great for mellow sounding guitars. Sounds best up front, or before an EQ in an effects loop if the high end is to be tamed somewhat. Works best with an AC power supply, because of the high current draw of the digital circuit.

My favorite vintage chorus has to be an older 1980's DOD Stereo Chorus. It comes with two sets of speed and depth knobs, which gives you two different settings to send to two amps. Not to mention the warmth of the analog circuit. My dad has one of these.

I've never liked any of the pedals other than the TC stuff. Not enough control, toooo much noise, routing it stereo or mono is a pain...

IMO - The best chorus comes from the rack stuff. Roland GP8 chorus, VP77, Dim D Rack, TC Fireworx, Lexicon PCM80, Eventide. That's my experience.

If you want to be able to switch flavors of Modulation/Chorus, at the stomp of a footswitch, look into the Eventide Modfactor, or the big blue Line 6 Modulation Modeler - the Line 6 box is still around, just not as popular as they were a while back.

I haven't tried this stuff, but would be my first try if I were looking for pedal options.

>snaps fingers< Y' know, a really good modulation pedal that's an alternative to the usual chorus, that you might really like, would be the Option 5 'Destination-Rotation Single' pedal. It's an all-analog rotary-sim that cops the single-speaker Leslie/Fender Vibratone rotary cab sound (hence the "Single" designation). It's VERY warm, lush, vibrant, sounds all-analog because IT IS, full of cool features, very high quality, low-noise; an excellent pedal all-around and a great option over run-of-the-mill same-old chorus.

I have a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus pedal that I occasionally use (usually after I blow the dust off of it). I like a clean tone more than one that is all processed sounding.

I guess I haven't heard one that I really like yet. Maybe I need to try out a TC pedal. Hmmm, an excuse to head down to the music store Saturday morning... :idea:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I have owned a TC for years, just sold it, plus I own a NOVA system. The only modulation I like is the pitch shifting. The chorusing, flange, and phasing is sterile.

If you are looking for nice warm, subtle analog chorusing, get a used DODfx65 for $40 on ebay. I just sold my spare, as they are pretty rugged - def a keeper.

A new production chorus which is very warm is the behringer Boss Dimension chorus clone - it is non-cyclical, so check the demos

A digital chorus which I have kept is the ibanez DCF10 - great if you can find one. You can get sweet, subtle chorusing with that

A caveat: while the old, original Arion Stereo Chorus from the '80s has a veritable cult following, the recently reborn Arion Chorus pedal is NOT the same internally, and doesn't sound the same; it's apparently been a disappointment for those trying to replace their oldies.

Hey Caev,

Have you compared the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus Flanger pedal with the new TC Electronic Corona Chorus?

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the digital Corona Chorus (or any of the TC TonePrint line) and compare it to the all-analog SC/F; it does look to be pretty cool, though, with lots of interesting features.

I can't resist asking, do they offer an Old Milwaukee Overdrive and a Molson Multi-Tap Echo to round-out a NAFTA line-up? :rimshot:

A caveat: while the old, original Arion Stereo Chorus from the '80s has a veritable cult following, the recently reborn Arion Chorus pedal is NOT the same internally, and doesn't sound the same; it's apparently been a disappointment for those trying to replace their oldies.

Just like, oh, I don't know, every other pedal ever made, discontinued, and then remade?

I have one of those. I lost one of the knobs and have a strat tone knob as a makeshift replace. I used it for like a year. Made I should give it a try but I always thought my old Memory Man kicked its butt.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. David P

You're very welcome! Don't be a stranger, come back and let us know what you try and what you like and dislike, keep us posted!

Just like, oh, I don't know, every other pedal ever made, discontinued, and then remade?

Maybe like many, but not necessarily all; the 'reissue' TC SC/F is excellent, and there are other "reissue" pedals that are pretty much just like and as good as their forebears...

As for the Arion pedals, I can HIGHLY recommend the old, original 1980s-made Arion Stereo Flanger if you find one, which tends to sell for a LOT less than the highly sought Arion Stereo Chorus of the same vintage. Again, the new Arion pedals are NOT the same as the old ones- you may or may not like them, and they are cheap, but they aren't duplicate replacements for the originals.

The Arion Stereo Flanger is also capable of some cool chorus sounds; and on top of that, it's actually better at a lot of classic flanger sounds than many more expensive flangers, including the TC SC/F!

It is a bit noisy- but that actually enhances some of those "classic" flanger sounds; and they were not the sturdiest cheap little plastic boxes ever made... but I will very likely eventually get another, myself.

Have you given any thought to an inexpensive rack unit? (Yes, there are such things.) The Lexicon MPX 100 and 110 have a number of Chorus, Detune & Flanger effects with some basic parameter tweaks, and they're usually pretty cheap as used gear. The difference between the MPX 100 (which I have) and the 110 is a Compressor added to the 110. You'll also get a bunch of nice Lexicon Delays & Reverbs to play with, not a bad deal. I've always found the Lexicon Flanger too polite for my taste, but the Chorus might be just what you're looking for.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Archived