Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suhr Guitars?

dvuksanovich

I just sold two of my three guitars (the two I never play) and was all geared up to order another Carvin, and a guy I know recommended I check out Suhr... which are also custom shop axes, but about twice the price of a well-appointed Carvin.

Anyone out there have (or have played) a Suhr? Are they THAT much better than a $1,200 - $1,500 Carvin? It would be difficult... my current Carvin just about plays itself.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are amazing, I played one of his strats from before he left the Fender custom shop. He is a master builder, and the attention to detail is all there. I personally do not play a strat style guitar, if I did I would seriously consider one. Reb Beach is endorsed by them, he told me a couple of years ago that he would play them even if he had to strait up buy em. I have held a couple in my hands, and they feel good.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Guthrie Govan endorses them, as do other notable players. Rob Rose has one, and swears by it, having unloaded 2 Custom Shop Strats once he got his Suhr....

They are special. The decision is if a guitar is worth twice the price of an already excellent Carvin. It's certainly not twice the guitar. I would doubt it's any more than a percent or two better, if that. Great axes, but for that money I'd take 2 Carvins, 2 G&L's, etc.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

As a do it your-self-er, I don't think that price is out of line as long as the quality and workmanship are there...

Custom neck $400

Good Body $200

Custom Pickups $200

Aftermarket Tuners $100

Super switch and custom Electronics $75

Great Bridge $125

Paint $40

Labor $200

And - Poof you're there...

Of course, I'm assuming the best of everything.

Oh... Wait... Just saw it was twice as much... Nah! I'd do it myself and get EXACTLY what I want for the same price.

I've got some vacation time coming up so I think I'm going to head downtown to Make'n Music with my Carvin and A/B 'em. The pro series (not really custom, but on the same planet as my price range) might work for a few hundred more than a new Carvin.

If a guitar exists that I love more than my Carvin, I may have an accident in my pants.

I've got some vacation time coming up so I think I'm going to head downtown to Make'n Music with my Carvin and A/B 'em. The pro series (not really custom, but on the same planet as my price range) might work for a few hundred more than a new Carvin.

If a guitar exists that I love more than my Carvin, I may have an accident in my pants.

Which 2 axes did you unload?

Shameless plug here, I am also selling an American strat in the classifieds. for half as much as your carvin J/K. Defiantly check em out, always good to shop around.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

NOOOOOOOOO I want a 777vbk :( Shame on you haha!

for reals though, Suhr guitars play like a dream.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I couldn't play it anymore after I started playing the Carvin. It doesn't have stainless steel frets so the strings feel all sticky when I do vibrato and/or bend and I just can't deal with the floating trem these days. I hardly ever use it and I like to oblique bend more now than I used to. It just didn't make sense to keep it.

I can set up my own guitar now in about 30 minutes.

Really not 100% sure. On the Carvin side I'm considering getting an Ultra V (or an ST300), alder, maple neck and bird's eye maple fretboard, jumbo stainless steel frets, tune-o-matic bridge, and high output M series pickups. Those options come to about $1100 (with no sales tax and a free hardshell case) assuming I don't decide I want mahogany or a flame top.

On the Suhr side I don't want to get up into their custom price range so I'm going to check out one of their pro series models... here's a link to one that's in stock at a store near me:

http://www.makenmusic.com/product.cfm?prodID=2030&catID=1

I guess I'm just curious about what seems to be something of a holy grail guitar brand (according to some folks on other discussion boards that I won't mention here)... and according to the guy who bought my old guitars. He said he has four of them and they are his favorite axes.

Hmmn; hard to beat the overall quality and design of those Carvins, particularly their through-neck construction, especially for the price. The Suhr has a bolt-on neck, with some exceptionally sweet contouring around the cutaway and heel.

These two Carvins have a 25" scale-length with a 12" r (10" r and 14" r optional); the Suhr has a sweet compound 10"-14" r.

With the bolt-on neck and maple neck/alder body combination, I'd expect the Suhr to be a little bit warmer and more "classic", while these Carvins would be a tad tighter and more crisply focused, as well as having longer sustain. That 1/2" difference in scale might somewhat mitigate some of these things, though.

Those are some of the major points I would consider and compare.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Love my Suhr. As BluesApe mentioned, I got out of the Fender Strat business ans soon as I got it. It was and still is the best strat I ever played. It's a pro series S3, much like this: Link.

Although I can't comment on their guitars for modern rock, except to say that their attention to detail, and quality is top notch.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

Thanks, all, for your input. Seems I will have a tough (but fun) decision ahead of me.

Hmn; do they have any kind of return policy?

For that matter, would you be able to try before you buy?

I would hope so on both counts, for those prices!

If you can return the guitar for a refund within a reasonable period, why not try out the Suhr, and if you're not satisfied, return it and get one of the Carvin models you cited above?

Carvin has a 10 day trial period, I know. Suhr sells through dealers so I can go to the store and try it out. What I'm more interested in is how Suhr handles warranty issues. Carvin has a great warranty... if you don't mind sending your guitar to California every time it needs warranty work... not cool. I've already run into a couple of issues where just paying to get the work done locally is cheaper than shipping (and insuring) the guitar.

Love my Suhr. As BluesApe mentioned, I got out of the Fender Strat business ans soon as I got it. It was and still is the best strat I ever played. It's a pro series S3, much like this: Link.

Although I can't comment on their guitars for modern rock, except to say that their attention to detail, and quality is top notch.

Hey Rob!

Welcome back, bud! :wave:

So, dvuksanovich, be sure to let us know what you try, how you like it, and what you ultimately buy; keep us posted!

Hey Rob!

Yeah! How'ya doin'?

That Suhr with the ice blue finish looks wicked sick!

If you are considering a Carvin, look at the Contour 66. You can have it configured with the same woods and hardware as the Suhr. Unlike the Ultra-V or DC models, it has a bolt-on neck and a 25.5" scale length which will get you in the same tonal ball park as the Suhr.

Most Carvins have their "Rapid Play" neck profile which is rediculously fast and fairly thin and wide - kind of like an Ibanez Wizard neck. Great for shredding but not the thing to get if you like a nice rounded neck profile (let alone a baseball bat). I don't know what the neck on the Suhr is like.

The build quality of the Carvins I've checked out is on par with PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. Really high end.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

That Suhr with the ice blue finish looks wicked sick!

If you are considering a Carvin, look at the Contour 66. You can have it configured with the same woods and hardware as the Suhr. Unlike the Ultra-V or DC models, it has a bolt-on neck and a 25.5" scale length which will get you in the same tonal ball park as the Suhr.

Most Carvins have their "Rapid Play" neck profile which is rediculously fast and fairly thin and wide - kind of like an Ibanez Wizard neck. Great for shredding but not the thing to get if you like a nice rounded neck profile (let alone a baseball bat). I don't know what the neck on the Suhr is like.

The build quality of the Carvins I've checked out is on par with PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. Really high end.

Agreed on Carvin's quality. My main axe is a Carvin DC400. I was all set to order another one and a guy I know got me started thinking about Suhr, which is why I started the thread... because I know next to nothing about Suhr guitars.

So, dvuksanovich, be sure to let us know what you try, how you like it, and what you ultimately buy; keep us posted!

Hey Rob!

Yeah! How'ya doin'?

Hi, back... Thanks for the welcome! Ive been lurking... hope to be more active. I have too many gear changes to enumerate! :cool:

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

• 2 months later...

Archived