Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT: Balancing volume on wah

Gary75

I'm using a Dunlop Wah with Scarbee Clavinet (sounds great btw) from my Receptor. but when bypassed the straight sound is always louder than the wah engaged. After the wah I plug into a Line 6 Pocket Pod. Is there anyway to balance the levels between straight and engaged. There is a compressor in the Pod but I'm damned if I can get it to do anything!

I'd ask this in guitar forum, but well, ya know.....

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this might not help much but I'm thinking it probably has to do with an impedance mismatch, as the wah expects to see the high impedance of a guitar...

I doubt it. That would be true if the pedal was low impedance and a high impedance device was connected, but the other way around should not make any difference with modern solid state devices.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I once picked apart a crybaby wah - no gain or preamplifier, just a basic sweepable bandpass filter. The fact that there is a resonant peak at the center frequency is probably what makes the overall volume sound lower. No way to boost it without adding an amplification stage to the internal circuitry. You could however add a basic voltage divider network (adjustable using a pot) to pad th bypassed signal to match the wah.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Apparently, there's mods you can do to a wah to stop the volume from dropping so much. I think it's to do with true bypass mods, but it's really not something I know about. Iv decided to live with it for now as there's only one song where the wah is off.

I may be wrong about the impedance, however I'm pretty sure that converting to true bypass would only make the problem worse. In many pedals, including a stock crybaby, the bypassed signal still goes through the circuitry of the pedal. When it is converted to true bypass, which involves a slightly more expensive switch, the signal goes directly from input to output, eliminating any loss when the pedal is off... My own crybaby is true-bypass, and the one time I tried it with VB3 I remember having the same problem as you...

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

this might not help much but I'm thinking it probably has to do with an impedance mismatch, as the wah expects to see the high impedance of a guitar...
I doubt it. That would be true if the pedal was low impedance and a high impedance device was connected, but the other way around should not make any difference with modern solid state devices.
That was my reaction too.

I bet the same happens with guitar, only it may be less noticeable on guitar to a guitar amp due to the shrillness it imparts.

The bypass fix would be to add a true bypass switch, with a 500kOhm audio-taper pot between output and ground. Adjust the pot to reduce the bypass volume.

Archived