Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budget Laptop For Live Performance Rompler?

Suntower

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this brings up the next phase: HOST and PATCH SELECTION. What I want/need is a way to load the sounds and switch patches quickly for a set list. I was thinking that I could just use an old license I have for Cubase, create a 'template' song with a couple of common VSTis as separate tracks (Piano, Organ, etc.) and in some way 'click' to switch between tracks after each song.

Or...?

One thing the kid @ GC said (which may or may not be true) is that Ableton Live and Reason both have facilities to do pretty much exactly this---since they are more oriented towards live performance.

Thoughts?

Ableton Live user here - have used it on many gigs without a hitch. However, it does NOT have anything like a 'setlist' feature which will allow you to switch between 'patches'. In fact, if all you want to do is use it as a rompler, with patches (involving splits and layers, presumably), then you'll probably be frustrated with Live. Misnomer? Not quite - if you need to trigger sequences and loops, mix and mash them up, improvise on stage - there's nothing like it. 80-90% of Live's functionality is designed for this purpose.

For what you've described - 'rompler' kinda use only, with setlists, and patch switching, etc. - there are a number of hosts out there designed specifically for this purpose: Cantabile and Brainspawn Forte are the leading contenders; you might also want to checkout Bloxpander. These hosts typically have impressive Midi routing/filtering/chaining capabilities, and allow you to configure any number of zones on your controller, layer sounds, etc...

While I do need Ableton's sequencing features, the setlist/patch switching is also important to me - I had to spend a lot of time designing workarounds, at first using Plogue Bidule. This did give me the functionality that I was looking for, but it was a crude hack job. However, if you're the programming, DIY kinda guy, there's Max for Live, a programming environment that allows you to build in (almost) any kinda feature into Live. I'm adding finishing touches to my own setlist/patch change editor, using Max for Live :cool: - a very elegant solution, best of both worlds, but an investment in time and money! So if you really need the other features of Ableton, then you can workaround its limitations.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

You've mentioned trying out Adobe Premier on this machine - this made me go :eek:. As others have pointed out on this and several other threads, it's a *seriously bad* idea to have a live gigging machine used for other purposes. A lot of programs (especially antivirus) have this nasty habit of checking for updates/running background tasks once a week/month. You'll think you've got a great live gigging setup, works fine on 3 gigs, and on the 4th - you've suddenly got pops/crackles/dropouts in the middle of the performance, which makes your audience sit up and notice. Continue with this policy, and it's not a question of 'if', its a question of 'when'.

A rather shocking case in point - fellow forumite B3-er recently reported that merely installing a trial version of Sequel LE (if I'm not mistaken) caused huge DPC spikes on his brand-new machine. This is a pro audio software from a reputed company that specializes in pro audio software. Go figure.

If you really need the same machine for live and general use, I recommend making it dual boot, and keeping a strict policy of removing net from the live config, and *only* installing essential software on the live config. Otherwise, you're signing up for some frustration in the long run.

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Thanks for the information. I will -definitely- check out those hosting programs. I totally get why people love 'Live'... it's just not what I do... maybe some day.

AFA your 2nd post... the evils of running other programs. I dunno how many times I gotta say this... I needed a machine for -personal- use and the whole 'Rompler' thing is the secondary purpose. If it works out? Great, I'll consider getting a dedicated machine... I appreciate the heads up on Sequel. I happily use Cubase but have never tried Sequel... I actually am considering it for what I want to do, simply because it seems to integrate somewhat with Cubase. We'll see. :) It's all a big experiment.

I think my next step is to go to GC and get an M-Audio 88ES... which is on sale this month for $150. It comes with a free copy of Ableton Live Intro. I'll try running -that- strictly USB with ASIO4All... just as a lark. And maybe I'll load up Cubase or one of those hosts you mentioned and see how it -feels-.

If that seems to work as a 'proof of concept' in my living room, I'll then take the next step and spring for a 'real' A/D/MIDI interface and try a couple of rehearsals to check the 'roadworthiness'.

One step @ a time!

Cheers,

--JC

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to thank you again for these recommendations. I ended up getting an M-Audio Axiom 61 and I am enjoying it a great deal. I do wish it was 76 keys but I see so much potential in the buttons/sliders... plus the action is about 1000% better.

In any event, I got a copy of Live Lite 8 and I am -very- surprised how much I like messing with it. My initial tests... simply loading Kontakt and a couple of instruments for piano and organ were quite successful. No latency issues.

But those other programs (eg. Cantabile) look like -exactly- what I need so if I reach a point where Live Lite maxes out I will definitely look @ those. (I have to say, however, that I am becoming quite fond of playing within Live Lite and then occasionally hitting a button to make 'something' happen. Almost -too- easy.)

On a tangent... I discovered something -very- interesting. I got hold of a 100' ADAT cable and found that I can happily run an A/D converter to my studio and it records perfectly. So I'm getting an RME Babyface which will do double-duty as my live performance 'sound card'... and act as a way to record in other rooms of the house via ADAT. So this whole 'laptop' thing has far more potential than I initially realised.

The point is... I started out -very- skeptical of this whole idea and now, although still in 'test mode' it actually seems plausible for a 'regular guy'.

Cheers,

---JC

So I'm getting an RME Babyface which will do double-duty as my live performance 'sound card'... and act as a way to record in other rooms of the house via ADAT. So this whole 'laptop' thing has far more potential than I initially realised.

Congrats,- wise decision !

That´s the best USB2 Audio/MIDI interface you can buy !

A.C.

• 5 months later...

So I'm getting an RME Babyface which will do double-duty as my live performance 'sound card'... and act as a way to record in other rooms of the house via ADAT. So this whole 'laptop' thing has far more potential than I initially realised.

Congrats,- wise decision !

That´s the best USB2 Audio/MIDI interface you can buy !

A.C.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this.

Yeah this is a great sound card beside recording tool.

Just got a Babyface today to be normally used on another 88 Numa controller besides it's intended remote recording capability. I have a Roland V Piano and wanted to add my previously purchased Ivory II and Pianoteq (just to be greedy on my piano choices) for fun. Yes I know it can be argued "why the VPiano if you are running these". I really like the VPiano and the custom pianos you can make and Choice 1, imho YMMV

The Mac I am using on this is a vintage A1181 2.4 GHz running an SSD (actually has 2 SSDs in it, one in the Superdrive bay instead on DVD)

Lowest latency I have ever used for a soundcard. Ivory II runs at 32 samples and feels like a model when you play it. It almost ran at 16 samples. This is just from the USB of the Macbook. 128 poly at 44100 Makes playing Ivory a different experience. Feels on the keyboard like Pianoteq. Pianoteq Play only allows 64.

One interesting thing I did notice was on Pianoteq the audio load of the CPU did not change in the graphic or go to a higher bandwidth no matter how many notes I played indicating that the device is taking the load off the CPU that begs the question I wonder how this would work with one of my netbooks with Pianoteq.

I have gotten one pop or glitch except when I tried 16 samples. MAC recognizes it instantly on boot. Have to rate at one of best purchases of 2011

A+++++++++ LOL!! (obviously not affiliated)

(I should add when I researched the piece at the first release of the silver version (it seems silver) there was a grinding metal to metal in the wheel. Many returned for an exchange and then bought the blue. Mine is silver and the wheel is perfect so they did get their assembly quality control in order. Anyone getting one of these MAY take a chance when ordering the silver that it is old stock and has wheel problem. First indicator is the wheel turns off center. This wheel on this silver turns just about perfect on center. No grinding)

W.

Archived