Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Editing CD format

clpete

I am using a Tascam digital recorder for live recordings. The recordings are to be used for critiquing and demo purposes. I record entire sets and then mix them down as an entire set because the recorder will not allow me to split up the songs due to the space on the hard drive. I can split out a few songs, burn songs and delete files but this is very time consuming and doesnt solve the future issues of trimming songs for demos.

What I am trying to do is do edit the set into different songs, that are in cda format, using software. What I have found out is that cda files cant be edited so they have to be changed to a computer readable file, edited and then burned to CD. After searching for different software options I decided I need help!

What is the best way to go about this?

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What format does your recorder use? There are a TON of free utilities for editing .wav's. Then you can use anything...even iTunes to burn the cd.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The recorder uses a unique format. It will convert to DAW and can be downloaded to computer. But Its not what Im looking to do. The recorder burns CDs so the CDs are in cda.

So, is it best to convert the CDs to wav or Mp3 to edit? I realize this is elementary stuff, but I have never done it.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

You have to rip your CD to your computer using a music player application that allows you to rip CDs. You can't just copy CDA files from your CD as if it were a file folder, onto another file folder on your computer. I suspect that is what you explored and discovered the CDA format?

I use Creative Lab's music player that came with my MP3 player, but Windows' Media Player (if you're on PC) will rip CDs, and I'm sure whatever Apple's media player is will do the same.

Usually you can specify under "options" or some sort of menu what format you want to rip these files as ... either WAV/AIFF or MP3 usually. If you are going to do ANY editing at all in a computer-based program, rip them as 16-bit 44.1 WAV files. That is ample resolution and the audio CDs you are ripping from don't exceed that anyway. THEN, download yourself the free Audacity player (assuming you are on PC .. if Mac you will have to research but I think GarageBand does this too) and open the WAV file in that program. You can splice/export shorter clips, ie, each song, and fade in-fade out and do all other sorts of editing procedures to your heart's content. You would likely export these as shorter WAV files. YOu can then use a converter (if you have a free MP3 converter in your MP3 player software; mine came with a converter) to convert to MP3. Audacity allows you to convert but you have to pay for a plug-in MP3 conversion software ... so I do it outside of Audacity since I already have at least a couple of programs that allow conversion.

I hope this helps!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived