Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Immigrant Song - chord question

Griffinator

Feeling rather sheepish about this, as I pride myself in my ability to discern chords, but the one in the closing section is driving me nuts. You know, when they go to the main riff, but staccato it with that funky stop-chord - I for the life of me can't identify it.

Help?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll tell you how it sounds to me..coud be wrong, but it's worth a shot, right?

The main body of the song sounds like a F#m, A, E7 comp, until you get to the point where the lyrics are "So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins......" at that point it sounds like it is a F#m, C7 comp for the rest of the song. Hope that helps.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Hmmmm...Well, it's been years, but I seem to recall this:

-----

-3---

-3---

-x---

-3---

-----

Almost a C9 shape. The open E was what threw me off - I was trying to play a full C9 in there, and it just sounded wrong, wrong, wrong....

until you get to the point where the lyrics are "So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins......" at that point it sounds like it is a F#m, C7 comp for the rest of the song. Hope that helps.

Based on the above, that's a pretty good ear you got there. ;) C-Bb-D-E - a C9 with no 5.

Hmmmm...Well, it's been years, but I seem to recall this:

-----

-3---

-3---

-x---

-3---

-----

Almost a C9 shape. The open E was what threw me off - I was trying to play a full C9 in there, and it just sounded wrong, wrong, wrong....

I've played it against the recording and it sounds right. I have to agree with you Griff, it's one bugger of a chord to hear. When I was a teacher, I used to spend half my time figuring out chords for students. I got really good at it. But this one chord... :mad:

It reminds me of the arguments surrounding the Beatles opening chord in "A Hard Days Night".

Just don't use one o' them damn curly ones! :cool:

Damn curly chords...

*grumble, grumble*

Mmmmmmm...Curly fries....

I oddly feel a drummer joke comin' on.... :cool:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Nope, gotta take up for the drummers here (since my best bud and probably the best musician in the band is the drummer)

What do you call a guitarist without a g/f?

Homeless!

How do ya get a bass player off your porch?

Pay for the pizza!

Hear about the bass player who locked his keys in the car?

Took an hour and a half to get the drummer out!

Hey, while I don't have a copy on hand to listen to at the moment, I would guess that JPJ's growling bass makes it easy to confuse what grip is being played on the guitar there (ESPECIALLY if JP's playing something that doesn't have the root on the bottom), any possible overdubs notwithstanding; try listening through a good pair of headphones (I'm sure YOU'VE got some, Griff'!) with the balance panned hard-right or hard-left to find if the bass and guitar might be panned a bit separately (often the case with Zeppelin), and thus clear things up for aural scrutinizin' of just how he put the HARM in the harmony there...

Isn't the tune in E? An Fm or something along those lines seems to come to mind...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Tune is in F#, Caev. I checked G the first time I spun it. I'm inclined to agree with Craig's C9no5 idea.

OK, THAT makes sense enough; apparently I was mistaken about the key and everything- after all, it's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time... :rimshot:;)

I'll hafta try that out sometime soon. :cool:

We're doing a quasi-mashup - "Let It Ride" into "Immigrant Song"

One of many cool mashup tricks we have up our sleeves. ;)

Now, THAT'S cool. :cool: I'd love to hear a clip of ya doin' that when you've got it down...

That's the first time I've ever heard "This Flight Tonight" - cool tune. Unfortunately, we're already doing "Hair of the Dog" and "Love Hurts" - maybe once we rotate one or both of them out, we might experiment that direction.

The singer, at this point, is understandably concerned about blowing her throat on "Barracuda" - that's some tough pitches right there.

Archived