Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardcase or Softcase??

GigSkinz have better protection in my experience but the only one I ever had, the zip went on within weeks. The Gators are light but not much padding on them, as mentioned above. However, both Gator cases I own stand up firmly on their end, which can make handling easier, while the Gigskinz did not.

Not sure why any of them need to be so heavy, to be honest.

Until a few days ago I owned a GK76 and its around 12 kilos, let me tell you its heavy when combined with a keyboard. I had my FA 76 in there and the whole thing was around 27-28 kilos. Thankfully I never had to use it that much but the last time I did, (last week) I had to lug it three blocks; even though it has wheels and I was basically walking down a hill I was totally sweaty by the time I got to my car. Im 32 and play sports 4 times a week too, just sayin.

On the flip side Ive flown transatlantic with that case a few times and its held up, which isn't bad considering it isn't a true flight case.

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on 2 things

1) what you're going to put in it

2) what you're going to put it in

If it's a big heavy fragile keyboard, you need a hard case.

If you're putting it in the band van, you need a hard case.

My keyboard is 55 lbs. I have a 5 lb rigid foam "soft" case from ProTech. I've used it regularly since 1997. I had to replace the strap hooks and sew the straps back on, but otherwise it's as good as new, and only adds 5 lbs making my keyboard an easy carry with the shoulder strap.

55 lbs is considered "heavy" these days, but it's a lot less than an RD700 or S90. I always carry it in my own car and pack it myself.

I've been in a band where we used the band van or band truck, with a Rhodes. A Rhodes has a pretty sturdy case, but after seeing the wear and tear that takes even when loaded by friends I respect and who have a decent respect for gear, I would only use a hard case in that case.

If it's only in the band van once in a blue moon, then I'd still go soft, but making sure I'm ALWAYS the one who packs my keyboard plus anything on either side of it.

It's hard cases for me. Although I'm the guy loading and lugging - it's still traveling in my van - along with the PA. My two hard cares travel stacked on top of each other - with a pair of monitor wedges and two cable cases on top of them.

Unless there's a significant distance to schlepp things at the venue - I've gotten into the habit of unloading everything but my two keyboards - going into the venue, positioning the "big stuff", setting up my stand - and then pulling the keyboards out of the cases at curbside and carrying them in and placing them directly on my stand. Once teardown starts - the FIRST thing I do is carry the keyboards out to the van and casing them there. I do the same thing at home ... boards come out of the cases and directly into my music room - while the cases go straight to the garage. There's less collatoral damage from trying to wiggle BIG cases around tight corners - AND finding somewhere to store two hard cases for 88 key instruments while I'm playing.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I have a softcase for my Ob-3 and it has a few dings in the wood despite only being cautiously handled by yours truly. I have my NE2-61 in an SKB and it has done twice as many gigs as the Obie and still looks brand new. Back in the 60's when I started playing "gig-bags" and softcases were unknown for guitars and basses. Everybody had hard shell cases. When I returned to playing in the '90's I was surprised to see $2K guitars in softcases.

Yamaha CP73; 145 gig Leslie; Nord Electro 61; Oberheim OB3^2; Wurlitzer 200A; Ampeg Gemini I amp; Speakeasy Leslie preamp; QSC K-10

(dearly departed, '58 B3, Bob Schleicher 50C Leslie now serving the Lord in Bryant AR)

When I returned to playing in the '90's I was surprised to see $2K guitars in softcases.

I was really surprised to see a concert violin come out of a soft case at a wedding I played at last Saturday.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived