Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A good time to be a keyboard player

marino

The latest crop of B3 clones are so good and so practical, it makes me want to go out and find an organ gig, just so I have a reason to buy one.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always a good time to be a keyboard player. We've been at the forefront and bleeding edge of virtually all industry-changing forces (from computers, to MIDI, to affordable DAW's, etc.).

And while I'm sure there are many good boards to pick from, I'm not sure there is any real innovation taking place. If you weren't alive or playing in the seventies, think about the impact that the Minimoog had, or the first affordable polyphonic synthesizers. Or the initial impact of the Mellotron or the first 8 bit samplers. While those are hard achievements to match, I'm not sure that we're always looking for something really new and progressive, or just rehashing the same old thing again and again.

In my own development, I've turned back to playing as the real answer. Yes, I'd love an 88-key controller and I'll get one at some point, but it's been a while since a synth has entered the market that has really made me take notice. I find that simpler sounds are often what's needed to make a track work, and my gear can handle most requirements.

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

It's actually called Dominion X..

http://soundcloud.com/mfb-instruments/mfb-dominion-x-preview-demo

It has a Schippman filter :love:

Btw, there's a whole discussion on gearslutz about the very noticable hiss\noise on this demo. Some say it's the recording quality, but some claim it's a known issue with mfb synths. They are known to be hissy (in a bad way, that is). I wonder what's causing this noise and really hope he'll get it fixed.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Archived