Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forgotten guitarists who deserve to be investigated

d  halfnote

Drake Levin. Who else knows that name?

The high-steppin' cat with Paul Revere !

FWIW, I agree with what Griff said; it's not hard for us to search out theses cats if we want, but it'd be cool if there's some examples of what makes them worthwhile posted along with the names...

d=halfnote

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true that on YouTube you can check out almost ANYBODY... but it may not be what you consider their best work. Which may not be on YouTube.. what a conundrum!

Re: "forgotten guitarist" depends a lot on what circle of friends you are hanging out with. A guitarist may have a very dedicated small fanbase without being well-known to the general public.

One guitarist that may have been forgotten by the general public that I really love is Amos Garrett... his best known solo was on "Midnight At The Oasis" - a real pioneer, and still one of the best, at multi-string bending.

IMHO, Captain Sensible of the Damned was one of the greatest bare-knuckles Rock guitarists ever to drive a Punk band. This live take is pretty raw, but all that sound is one guy with his Gibson SG, and an amp being pushed to the limit. Saw these guys way back, and the Captain always amazed me.

[video:youtube]

BTW, the studio version is well worth checking out - you can really hear the tone, and the control.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

It's true that on YouTube you can check out almost ANYBODY... but it may not be what you consider their best work. Which may not be on YouTube.. what a conundrum!

Re: "forgotten guitarist" depends a lot on what circle of friends you are hanging out with. A guitarist may have a very dedicated small fanbase without being well-known to the general public.

One guitarist that may have been forgotten by the general public that I really love is Amos Garrett... his best known solo was on "Midnight At The Oasis" - a real pioneer, and still one of the best, at multi-string bending.

OK, let's define some terms.

Not bad points, Eric, but I think there's a fairly clear diff between someone like Richie Blackmore (mentioned earlier) who's still well known amoungst general music fans & someone such as H Mandel or between Tal Farlow & Nick Lucas...see what I mean ? Cats who've totally slipped off the radar.

I originally meant to cite players that we have as faves but also who exhibited a certain musical justification for being studied (check the title: "...who deserve..."), which is one reasons I think offering examples of what makes them worth checking out.

I'm not tryna dictate what anyone can mention here, just remind of the point.

Keep in mind, too, that YTube's not the only source from which to draw. Rhapsody & other sites can yield audio examples.

Or one could do a bit of effective description of their qualifications if the pertinent examples can't be found.

d=halfnote

Some of us (mostly ME)don't have the technical ability or savvy to post YouTube samples. But mentioning where their work can be heard might help. And others here WITH that savvy might be considerate enough to post them.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Some of us (mostly ME)don't have the technical ability or savvy to post YouTube samples. But mentioning where their work can be heard might help. And others here WITH that savvy might be considerate enough to post them.

Whitefang

d nails it.

All I was trying to do was make sure peeps didn't just throw a name out without justifying that name. I mean, I could say "Adrian Smith", and anyone who didn't know Iron Maiden, never mind heard anything they did before (Killers, S/T) or between (No Prayer for the Dying) would even have a reference point for what made him so great.

Vito Bratta from White Lion.

Vito Bratta almost got me into an accident yesterday.

Ever since you posted this, I've been occasionally listening to "Hair Nation" on the satellite radio in my car in hopes of catching a White Lion song. Finally, while driving to work yesterday, "Wait" came on. But just as the solo started, what appears on the horizon? A tunnel. I know I'll lose radio reception as soon as I get inside.

So I started driving slower. And slower. And slower...

Average band... spectacular guitarist.

Agreed. And a hazard to vehicular traffic!

I hate power ballads like "Wait" but White Lion has a small place in my heart, because late one night in basic training, a few of us were doing some work and were allowed to listen to the radio. "All you Need is Rock and Roll" (no quality video on YouTube, sorry) came on, and we were blown away. We turned up the volume and started rocking out the way only a bunch of kids with a lot of pent-up energy can, and the Drill SGT heard us, and made us knock out push-ups after the song ended. Muscles burning from spending time in the front leaning rest, it was still worth it.

Another less than great band with a ripping guitarist would have to be Extreme . Actually, it's not necessarily that the band is mediocre, just that the songs of the hair metal days generally blended into each other, with only the solos to distinguish them, if the listeners were lucky. Here's some Nuno: Play with Me

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Ian Anderson's acoustic work is top-notch, too.

Yes. I remember when I 'discovered' that he did the acoustic tracks on some of my favorite Tull tunes. He'll always be remembered as the "rock and roll flute guy," but I think his guitar playing is as good or better than his flute. Being an acoustic musician in an electrified band makes it hard to be noticed, but every slow moment on Aqualung comes alive to his guitar, and the main riff of Thick as a Brick is as perfect as you could ask for.

While I'm on the acoustic guitar track, I've always been a big fan of Paul Simon's playing. I know he's in no danger of being forgotten, but maybe unrecognized as a guitarist. His eponymous album has a lot of great stuff, as does the Simon and Garfunkel albums Bookends.

And, though I admit to knowing nothing about the band, but Dave Sabo of Skid row delivers what I consider the #1 perfect hair band balad guitar solo in I Remember You. Might be the only good thing he ever did, but man does he nail it out of the park.

Investigated? Investigated by WHOM? The FBI? The tabloid media?

Mothers Against Drunk Driving?

Oh, I get it! You meant by other guitar players......

:facepalm:

Eric, yer such a scamp!

d=halfnote

Jerry Miller.

Lead gtr for 1960s rock band Moby Grape (the original 3 gtr rock band, before Buffalo Springfield).

Also in the band were Skip Spence, former drummer for the Jeffersonian Airplane, & Peter Lewis.

Lewis usually did the folky, finger-picked stuff, Spence the rough rythm stuff & Miller drew on his well-developed country & blues chops.

Check him out here, on "Murder In My Heart For The Judge".

I'm not positive but I think he's doing both parts; in any case notice how the gtr parts work together to create flowing extended lines...

...did ya like that "spin-dizzy" circular riff at the end ?

:laugh:

Another example of Miller's blues-country meld is "Mr Blues".

Check the opening lick & how it works countering the bass, then how he repeats that with an Otis Redding inspired extension to open the 2nd verse [26 sec. mark].

The pull off licks at 36 sec mark; the almost uncharcterizable lick at 45 sec. & the chicken-scratch chording behind the vocals at the songs end are worth note as well.

Miller remains active; here he is rehearsing a part for a Willie Nelson tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5GjWKPs3G8

d=halfnote

I hate power ballads like "Wait" but White Lion has a small place in my heart, because late one night in basic training, a few of us were doing some work and were allowed to listen to the radio. "All you Need is Rock and Roll" (no quality video on YouTube, sorry) came on, and we were blown away. We turned up the volume and started rocking out the way only a bunch of kids with a lot of pent-up energy can, and the Drill SGT heard us, and made us knock out push-ups after the song ended. Muscles burning from spending time in the front leaning rest, it was still worth it.

Another less than great band with a ripping guitarist would have to be Extreme . Actually, it's not necessarily that the band is mediocre, just that the songs of the hair metal days generally blended into each other, with only the solos to distinguish them, if the listeners were lucky. Here's some Nuno: Play with Me

I think Extreme could have gone further with a better vocalist-sorry Gary, just sayin...anyway yeah Nuno could definitely play.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yes, I do. They did it for the chicks and the airplay, I understand, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Moby Grape was a cool band. I always liked their "Grape Jam" bonus LP.

And I'll give a nod with BluMunk about Paul Simon. Check out the track "Anji" WAYYYY back on the "Sounds of Silence" album.

Whitefang

A couple of years ago I bought a "best of Moby Grape CD" and had mixed feelings, some cool tunes, good vocal harmony, but a lot of it seemed sort of dated... fair enough, they were a product of their era, as all of us are, to some degree.

I DID hear some Jerry Miller jamming on the radio years ago, quite likely off the Grape Jam album... I thought he played great! But I'm a sucker for Bloomfield and that style of guitar anyway... (not saying Miller is a Bloomfield clone).

Well, it's true MGrape was of their time, both in attitude & sound production but I think they set the stage for some bands of similar construction; they just lacked the magic mix of charisma & aggressive push.

Check these clips & consider the breadth of their writing, their presentation & their apparent joy in performing music.

2 tunes on the Mike Douglas show:

Rock tune with driving bass & McCartney/Page-ish geetar that sends Skip Spence into a Joe Cocker-like spasm of spirit possesion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM87rI-sR7o

A song Frank Zappa would've loved to've written (& with which all guitarists can emphasize):

More to the point here, Miller's worth checking out for, as mentioned earlier, his skilled mix of blues & country playing + his studio ideas such as the dovetailed lines in "Murder In My Heart" (see previous post or clonk here:

).

Not the greatest guitarist, just worth remembering & learning from.

d=halfnote

I was listening to a live disc from "Out of The Grey" and reminded how good a guitarist Scott Dente is. The studio stuff was polished too clean and made for pop radio, but live he filled a lot of space with jazzy chords & fills, guitar synth textures, etc. His playing on the "Invention" project with Phil Keaggy & Wes King was an eye opener, too. His solo piece was very Eric Johnson-ish. He mostly does studio production work now, but OTG are also putting out a new album soon. He's worth checking out.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

how's about the original shredder, alvin lee?

alot of kids never even have heard of him. saw him in the early 80's, he blistered my brain.

maybe it was the acid.

no, definitely was his playing.

i think...

Yeah, Alvin Lee had some stuff worth hearing, esp in terms of his more melodic material which demonstrated real sensitivity at times (frankly, even as a kid, I found his speed-riffing a bit lame).

He could also lay on some well developed tones, though I don't think the recordings had the flair of Hendrix or Page.

Who wants to do the honors ?

d=halfnote

Alvin Lee: Behind the Watermelon*

[halfnote file version]

I'd Love To Change the World

AL goes for the Pagey folksong-ripping rock gtr format

As The Sun Still Burns Away

Mr Lee does concocts a hip-notic & dramatic evocation of Hendix's "Pali Gap" w/vaguely social conscious lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e-CkwH9yKM

Classic perf from Woodstock: G'n Home

In which AL plays so fast he can't keep up vocally & drifts toward some strange mix of John Lee Hooker & Elvis Presley (check the verses starting at the 2 min mark)

*Which brings us back to "the Watermelon", which rock fans of a certain age may recall was the gift presented to Alvin when he ripped it up at Woodstock...next seen on the cover of BB King's landmark album, Indianola Mississippi Seeds...

d=halfnote

d, Lee on that Woodstock jam showed his ability to take every blues and R&B riff cliche and somehow make it new again. He didn't play a lick that no one else has ever played. He just played them in a way that no one else had ever played 'em.

Whitefang

Can't say I agree, Fang, though I'll cautiously venture that he pulled some of the more interesting "blues faces"...

Lest some think I only mock Mr Lee let me point out that my citation of the tunes in my earlier post was sincere; I quite like "Change the World" & "Burns Away", which I suspect was perhaps an influence on Rory Gallagher.

d=halfnote

Archived