Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forgotten guitarists who deserve to be investigated

d  halfnote

Yeah, I know it's a long list...

Let's get started by taking a gander at Elliot Ingber, who played with both Zappa & Beefheart...but before that he was in a band called Fraterbity of Man, where he turned in this rather stark interpre-tastation of the blues...

Here's Ingber slinging away at a freeform rock tune (assisted by Bill Harkleroad on slide); there's only a single edit in the track, just before the final calmdown.

Of particular note may be the way he shifts from full on multinote fury to single note stabs.l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVl9jZtLe9Y

d=halfnote

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
remember ronnie montrose?

He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar.

Regards,

Ziggy S.

**LB edit - egg on my face, it's Mick Ronson on Ziggy Stardust not Ronnie Montrose. duh! My punishment for this egregious error is to listen non-stop, 24 hours, nothing but Slash. The horror....***

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Jules and the Polar Bears were a 70's band who were ostensibly a standard rock oufit but whose material, written by leader Jules Shear, was unfailingly literate and musical demonstrating an inate musical intelligence. Bredice in particular had great chops and sounded much like a top tier fusion player (and I mean that in a good way) whose playing managed to mingle and rage through the great songs in a way that absolutely worked. Great tone and use of effects as well. Rather ahead of his time and it still sounds fresh to me.

Jim Croce's accompanist, Maury Muehleisen. Just about everyone has heard him play, but hardly anyone knows his name. Hell, Jim was no slouch himself.

Tull's Martin Barre always plays with excellent taste, imo. Everyone seems to mention his solo on Aqualung when his name pops up, but just about every Tull tune has some nice little fill or riff. Ian Anderson's acoustic work is top-notch, too.

My ears are haunted.

How about Lonesome Dave & Kim Simmonds from Savoy Brown Blues Band?

[video:youtube]

Here's just one of many reasons to investigate Bill Nelson -

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Can we get some indications as to "why" we should investigate some of these names?

Ty Tabor is the guitarist of King's X, one of the most underrated bands of all time. They have a very unique sound and great songwriting and Doug Pinnick has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Tabor can play anything but exhibits great restraint so that it always serves the song.

Checkout the CD "Gretchen Goes to the Nebraska": Link to Amazon MP3 page for samples

Well the best "new" classical guitarist I have discovered lately has been Irena Kulikova. I try to keep up with who is who, but she was off my radar till she played here a couple of months ago. One of the best concerts ever, great tone and great musicality. Almost every touring classical artist has great technique but she brought something special.

Vito Bratta from White Lion. His rhythm parts in many cases incorporated contrary motion and other interesting harmonic wrinkles, which was way beyond what most other rock bands in the 80's were doing (just chugging power chords) and his solos were basically mini compositions inside each song.

Average band... spectacular guitarist.

Makes the thread much more interesting when you take a sentence or two to describe the player and what was special about them. :thu:

Along the hair-band lines, I would offer Warren DeMartini, of Ratt. Awful band, essentially carried by his intricate riffing and delicately tasteful lead work, often in unusual modes (their signature "Round and Round" bounces about from E Dorian to E Major to E minor in effortless fashion)

one guy who i think is a killer player who obviously loves playing is Phil X.

He replaced Rik Emmet for an album and tour with Triumph, as well as being in The Drills and Powder. i discovered him on youtube doing guitar demos.

here is a cool version of Highway star...

Jim Croce's accompanist, Maury Muehleisen. Just about everyone has heard him play, but hardly anyone knows his name. Hell, Jim was no slouch himself.

I mentioned him in my "Guitar Players" thread, though not by name 'cause I didn't KNOW it! Thanks for that.

How about Charlie McCoy, who did some tasty stuff on a couple of Dylan albums, and Dick Wagner, from Detroit's Frost and later with Alice Cooper? Really had some skills. Then there's Shugie Otis, Johnny's son, who never got the props he deserved.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Harvey Mandel.

Played with a variety of bands, incl. Canned Heat (don't hold that against him) & John Mayall.

Put him somewhere between Jeff Beck & The more mainstream Bloomfield/Clapton school.

Didn't invent tapping but put it in a rock context a decade before EVH.

The Divining Rod

The Snake

d=halfnote

<----Glen Campbell...got to throw him in the mix as this guy goes way back as a studio player who backed all kinds of stars on guitar before he became one himself...the guy can still play...
Take care, Larryz

Jim Babjak of the Smithereens, an underrated guitarist in an underappreciated band. They just put out a new album, it is great.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Johnny Marr-he has gotten tons of critical acclaim but I can`t recall him mentioned once on this forum. A long time ago a friend introduced me to The The-I was just listening to an interview a few days ago, didn`t even realize he was involved. The Smiths, Electronic, Suede-understated but distinctive.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Grady Martin.

He was an amazing guitar player that many don't know... but everyone remembers the guitar work on Marty Robbins "El Paso".

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Archived