Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

behringer and the suck factor

pinkjimiphoton

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=85213

100% done thru and with a behringer v-ampire.

i LOVE this amp...just sayin' yo...

But will you still love it when it blows up 5 days after the warranty expires, taking a channel out of your soundman's board with it, in the middle of a gig? (True story, BTW)

;)

The problem with Behringer gear is inconsistent quality control, not total lack of it. You're just as likely to get a bomb with a short fuse as a decent piece of gear. Congrats that you got a good one, P.J.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The problem with Behringer gear is inconsistent quality control, not total lack of it. You're just as likely to get a bomb with a short fuse as a decent piece of gear. Congrats that you got a good one, P.J.

This, pretty much, was what I was driving at. If you get lucky with a piece of B*er gear that's predominantly digital sound generation, you wind up with something halfway useful sometimes. The SQ on a lot of their stuff, though, is garbage even if it doesn't blow up a week out of warranty.

Our bass player bought 4 Beringer powered floor monitors about 2 yrs ago. I was like, dude Beringer sucks! Whats up with this? I've changed my mind. I don't know about other Beringer equipment, but these floor monitors have worked perfectly for over 100 gigs and still going strong. They have onboard EQ which is a big plus too. I think maybe Beringer is trying to lose the cheapo image they've always had because these floor monitors are well built, dependable and have features higher priced floor monitors don't have and they sound great! Plus they were very reasonably priced.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

More power to ya, it's the user/player (and luck of the draw in not getting a lemon or time-bomb) that makes the ultimate goodness or suckiness (in your case, very much goodness :cool: ).

I would guess- just guess- that B'r'ng'r has undersold and undermined the market by means of underpaid, perhaps underaged, abused sweatshop workers, doing a disservice to other makers and their own production workforce, to say the least. If I am wrong in any of those assumptions, I would be exceedingly glad to be wrong! Anyways, that's part of my prejudice- admitted prejudice- against 'em.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

lol...the big prob with behringer stuff is the quality of parts...uli uses shit to meet a price point, and that's where things go wrong...like the pots used on this amp are actually some kind of digital encoders...hard to replace. they have hollow nylon shafts that will shear off if ya look at 'em crossly. that's a drag, fer sure, i've gotta fix i've developed for that issue that works great. (if anyone needs to know it, let me know and i'll tell ya how to fix it so it's stronger than original)

tonally, this amp is great...that's a behringer v-ampire straight into 2x12 with vintage 30's, in stereo. the only pedal on the ground is a fcb1010 controller, set up as volume/wah and so that when i call up a patch and step on the controller a second time it toggles the gain structure from medium to hot.

alot of people think i'm playing thru the marshall half stack, but that was for the guitar player in the other band.

when i demoed the amp for the first time, i made it play some blues...and the whole freakin' store was watching...it was weird. my co-guitarist at the time, pete reilly, came walking over and was like "wow,jimi, what a tone, what kind of tubes are in that thing???"..

i laughed...pete won't play ANYTHING that don't say fender or gibson on it, and it HAS to be all tubes. at least according to him.

i told him at first it was el34's and he was like "see that? i can tell, i can HEAR IT"....

I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF WHEN I TOLD HIM NEXT IT WAS COMPLETELY F'N DIGITAL!!!

also used their mixers, etc...never had a problem, other than them pesky knob shafts. but...i agree...ya gotta try it first, beat on it, put it thru it's paces before ya buy, cuz some is dead right out of the box. but i've found that with EVERYTHING these days.

pete bought a marshall haze. returned it 4 times and finally got his money back, cuz every one was f'd up and the reverb didn't work. does that mean all marshalls suck, too?

i've played brand new les pauls, where ya gotta go thru 20 of 'em to find one half way decent one, same with strats...1 out of 300 will be killer.

qc is all over the place, and this shit can be high end cake.

i think for the price point, behringer does ok. ya gets what ya pay for, definitely.

Not a fan but must admit you can get a lot of equipment on a tight budget...If you can't keep it working, you can always buy a replacement and throw the old one out...
Take care, Larryz

except peavey REALLY sucks...lol. i remember being at corrupto's in new london once talking to them....they said when they first bought their peavey franchise, they had to buy like 10 pieces...and 9 came back blown within a week!!

Honestly, Peavey is one of only 2 companies (the other being Roland) that I'd buy a solid state amp from. I'd never buy digital modeling.

I agree (although I'm quite happy with my venerable Randall SS unit too) I have a Peavey Chorus 212 (dates to the late 80's) that has been through hell and back, and the only trouble I have with it is the funky footswitch jack - so I use it as a secondary monitor for the drummer (who largely keys off me, not the bassist in this band)

Hey, one thing you have to say about Peavey gear, at least after the first 5 years or so of their existence. Their amps don't die, even when you wish they would... :P

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Honestly, Peavey is one of only 2 companies (the other being Roland) that I'd buy a solid state amp from. I'd never buy digital modeling.

i bought a used bandit (transtube with a sheffield speaker) for running my JMP1 Marshall preamp through the power amp. well to make the story short the Peavey is all i am using right now and for SS it has some nice tones and headroom. sure it isn't a Marshall, but it has good tone and is not brittle.

i will constantly fiddle with an amp if it has shitty tone, and i haven't touched a thing on it when i jam except the volume. i run a Drivetrain in the thing for OD and that is it.

so i can't say anything bad about my Peavey.

i have less luck with my sons Line 6 unless i am after face melting metal tone...and i occasionally am. :D:rawk:

I practice at home through a Roland Micro Cube. Most of the pre-sets sound... well... like solid state. But after spending time dialing in the right settings, I have to say that the tone is really, really good. And I've been a hard core tube guy forever.

I'm wondering if the Cube 80X can give me the same tone as the Micro Cube but at higher volumes? Unless someone here warns me away I might give it a try... it might make a good back-up amp... and you can buy a new one for less than $300.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

my only humble suggestion, is to use what resonates with YOU. i used to hate digital...but that's changed since the early days. these days, i have no problem with modeling other than it's more like playing a snapshot of an amp, rather than the real thing. my cybers are pretty good at sounding like the real thing, in some ways even reacting like them.

my behringer sounds great...but only when cranked. with the power trio situation, that's a go...with the blues, it's still useable, but...not quite right.

i mean, in the clip above, does it sound like a behringer, or the marshall next to it? most peeps always assume it's the half stack, believe it or not, unless i tell them differently.

it's funny the way that works...i think in my case, alot of it comes from the vintage 30's...speakers have more effect on tone in some cases than the amp that drives them.

I'm wondering if the Cube 80X can give me the same tone as the Micro Cube but at higher volumes? Unless someone here warns me away I might give it a try... it might make a good back-up amp... and you can buy a new one for less than $300.

The Cube 80X is much more amp than the Micro, with more features. If you're liking your Micro Cube, I'd say you'll probably like the 80X even more - and you can actually gig with it.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks WP - I'm wondering if the tone I'm coaxing out of the micro cube won't be adversly affected by the much increased solid state power... or maybe I'm thinking too much like a tube guy again. Guess I'll have to just try er out. Playing at bedroom levels the micro is impressive, but only at certain settings.

SEHpicker

Can't carry my twin so am using a Roland Cube 60 which is clean cheap power, no tube feel of course and the chorus effect sucks so I use a Boss chorus pedal in front of it. When I change channels and go into overdrive British sound or a couple of other emulations it's pretty good. No tube feel but ok. Almost bought a Peavy SS but it had no personality I thought.

Guess everyone has different ears.

Used a Behringer 50 watt tube amp 1-12 on a jam session and thought the sound was poor tone & no balls - would rather have a Fender Blues Jr HotRod 15 watt any day and will probably buy one next, my wife owes me an X-Mas gift that I never picked up.

Strange how the Boss chorus pedal is pretty good but on the amp...not so good, can't back it off enough.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Hey, one thing you have to say about Peavey gear, at least after the first 5 years or so of their existence. Their amps don't die, even when you wish they would...

My first amp was a Peavey Audition 20. I'd already been playing for ~1 1/2 yrs but we were kinda poor and my parents couldn't afford to get me an amp, so I had to go over to a buddy's house and use his Bandit whenever I had the chance. Wasn't ecstatic about the Audition, since I'd asked for a Bandit, but at least it was an amp :)

Played the crap outta that thing. Kept it for many years after and it still worked perfectly, even if it wouldn't have won any awards for tone ;)

I haven't tried many SS amps during the past few years, but I think I'd check out the Tech 21 Trademark if I was in the market for one. Their circuitry is analog, they've gotten good reviews...and they're made in the US. A bit more $$$ than most of the other "modeler" amps out there, though.

My ears are haunted.

Thanks WP - I'm wondering if the tone I'm coaxing out of the micro cube won't be adversly affected by the much increased solid state power... or maybe I'm thinking too much like a tube guy again. Guess I'll have to just try er out. Playing at bedroom levels the micro is impressive, but only at certain settings.

It'll probably take some tweaking to get right in the tone zone you want, but it should deliver for you. The built-in looper is a big plus, too, even if you've never been into looping. Think instant backing track.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I had a Special 130 I used for time effects in a wet/dry stereo setup with a Marshall combo. My first real rig... It worked well for that because the lack of definition was an effect all by itself and differentiated the effect from the dry.

However, if it were soloed, I would cringe in displeasure.

I always wanted it to die and would kick it often for the spring tank boom. It refused to die and just kept on sucking... I sold it for $25 or a pack of smokes or something...

Archived