Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Piano vs Controller + VST for Live Performances

zoolake

I did some research on it, but is the big benefit of a digital piano essentially stability and ease of use compared to a midi controller with good vst's?

I am currently using vsts in the studio, but I am concerned with the concept of using them in a live setting due to complexity and stability. On the other hand, buying a decent controller looks significantly cheaper than buying a digital piano. Any advise?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The benefit of the digital stage piano is there are no good controller being built anymore. So you might as well get a digtal piano that supports multi zone control.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

They just suck. The Roland A-80 and the one that Peavey made for a while were the last good controllers I have played.

I liked the KX-88 a lot but I might be tought to find one with the top panel buttons still intact.

The cost of providing a digital sound engine is so low and polyphony capabilities has come so far it just makes economic sense to install the sound engine for a few dollars more and use it as a selling point. The controller market is just dead.

If I new wanted a controller I would be really tempted to pull the trigger on a Kurz PC3K8.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hmm ok, thanks for the advise....in that case, could you suggest a versatile digital piano for $700-1000? I will be using it predominantly for acoustic piano sounds, but also for some synth work here and there.

Archived