Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard of a console different from that of a portable?

I'm really confused can someone enlighten me. I have been under the impression that a console/cabinet digital piano is completely different from a portable digital piano. I don't mean the cabinet, etc., I mean the keyboard itself.

Somehow I thought the consoles were more substantial, and the portables were "keyboards," if you know what I mean. I now begin to think (help me here) that there is no difference I could take a portable and build a cabinet myself, or have a furniture maker student of mine build one.

Is the keyboard of a portable grand really the same as the keyboard of a console? For example, I'm considering buying a Yamaha YPG-V240 for the many voices/tones it has. It's about $1800. I just saw the Yamaha DGX-640 that has even more, but it's a portable, and it's seems to be about $800. Apart from the fact that they are different models, would something like the DGX-640 have the same substance? What about speakers? Doesn't a console have bigger speakers. Does anyone know what I'm trying to ask?

Thanks -

Ramon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what I'm trying to ask?

Errrmmm, sort-of :/

I'm really confused can someone enlighten me. I have been under the impression that a console/cabinet digital piano is completely different from a portable digital piano.

I don't mean the cabinet, etc., I mean the keyboard itself.

The keyboards on those two models you mentioned are identical - Yamaha Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) action.

Somehow I thought the consoles were more substantial, and the portables were "keyboards," if you know what I mean.

I now begin to think (help me here) that there is no difference

They are only more "substantial" in that they weigh more, due to heavy 'cabinet' - which you say you can have made anyway.

I'm considering buying a Yamaha YPG-V240 for the many voices/tones it has. It's about $1800.

I just saw the Yamaha DGX-640 that has even more, but it's a portable, and it's seems to be about $800.

Apart from the fact that they are different models, would something like the DGX-640 have the same substance?

Pretty much, yes.

What about speakers? Doesn't a console have bigger speakers.

Ramon,

If you're wanting a 'home' piano, you would be better off adding studio monitors.

If you are looking at live performance, then maybe a small PA set-up would be appropriate.

The portabilty of a lighter weight model is invaluable.

If your main consideration is piano, you might also look at the Casio Privia range - they are much improved these days.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some premium actions that are a bit heavy to put in a lightweight stage piano. However, lightweight actions are rather good these days, so you can certainly use a stage piano as a home piano and the biggest disadvantage is the appearance (which you or a student could fix).

For example, one of the best digital piano actions is the Yamaha one that's a full grand piano action, hammers and all, and it's not very portable (GranTouch).

But there's certainly no guarantee that a console piano will have a better action than a stage piano. Try them out and get what suits you best.

I agree that while built-in speakers are nice as a convenience, they don't sound nearly as good as a pair of studio monitors. I use a cheap solution in between: a pair of small Bose Lifestyle powered speakers, which you can find on ebay for under $100.

Console pianos are just like portable pianos; they span a range of qualities in both electronics and keybed actions.

Buy the cheapest model in a line, you get the cheapest action; move up the line, you get a better action. For example, in the Arius line, if you move to the YDP-180, you get a much better action than on the YDP-140. Buy a P-155, and you get a much better action than a P-95. In the Clavinova line, a CLP-360 is much better than the CLP-320.

For the record, the YDP-140, P-95, and CLP-320 all use the same GHS (Graded Hammer Standard) action. Apparently so does the YPG-V240 you're considering, which isn't surprising, as it's an Arius that contains arranger features (the only one in the line) and is only $1800. You're paying for the arranger features (styles, voices, etc) as opposed to the keybed or speakers.

Thanks to everyone for all your replies to this and my other inquiries. I'm a lot better informed now, and I have a clearer idea of what I want.

I'm pretty set on the Yamaha YDP-V240. It has all the features that I want, and since I'm not a pianist I'm sure the GHS action will be fine for me. I'm forgoing the expression pedal that I was fixated on earlier. The 240 has all the solo instrumental voices I was looking for and more.

I'm still not entirely clear whether or not I could add an expression pedal if I should want to at some later point on the 240, which has no auxiliary input or midi. I'll probably add some small external speakers as recommended "a pair of small Bose Lifestyle powered speakers," or something like that. Could I add an expression/volume pedal to the 240 with that setup? And if so, what kind do I need, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks again

Ramon

You could certainly put a standard volume pedal between the output and the amp/speakers you use.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm still not entirely clear whether or not I could add an expression pedal if I should want to at some later point on the 240, which has no auxiliary input or midi. I'll probably add some small external speakers as recommended "a pair of small Bose Lifestyle powered speakers," or something like that. Could I add an expression/volume pedal to the 240 with that setup? And if so, what kind do I need, and does anyone have any recommendations?

This is starting to become circular, and somewhat frustrating, but one more time:

The 240 DOES NOT support an 'expression' pedal to remotely control volume (or any other feature). Your ONLY option to alter volume via your foot is to run the AUDIO from the 240 (via the HEADPHONE output, which is the only output it has for sound) into an INLINE VOLUME PEDAL (see the other thread where you asked about this), to serve as a volume control between the 240 and some sort of external amplification/speaker system of your choice.

This was very clearly explained in the other thread; maybe a review of that thread would help. :thu:

This is starting to become circular, and somewhat frustrating, but one more time:

The 240 DOES NOT support an 'expression' pedal to remotely control volume (or any other feature). Your ONLY option to alter volume via your foot is to run the AUDIO from the 240 (via the HEADPHONE output, which is the only output it has for sound) into an INLINE VOLUME PEDAL (see the other thread where you asked about this), to serve as a volume control between the 240 and some sort of external amplification/speaker system of your choice.

This was very clearly explained in the other thread; maybe a review of that thread would help. :thu:

Sorry about that Sven. I went back, and I fully understand. If and when the time comes, I'll add two small powered speakers and an in-line volume pedal. Now to sell my Yamaha CLP-123 . . .

Thanks. If anyone needs any help or advice about buying a classical or flamenco guitar, or how to play one, I'll be happy to help.

Ramon

Archived