Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matt Freeman Signature Fender Squier Precision Bass

jeremy c

Matt dropped over the other day and showed his new signature model bass and asked me what I thought. I told him, "congratulations, this is a nice bass" and then he said, "It's yours." Unfreakinbelievable!

Unfortunately no one else was around so I didn't get a picture of the two of us, but he'll be back over when his current tour ends (which is in some kind of side project band in which he is playing upright bass). I'll post a picture of the two of us when that happens. We live very close to each other.

Here are a few pictures of me with the bass:

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/MattFreemanPbass.jpg

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/MattFreemanPbass.2.jpg

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/headstock.JPG

http://www.jeremycohenbass.com/images/bridge.JPG

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is just awesome! I've seen a few things about the bass, including a promo video that Matt did for Fender. I'm really tempted to try one out. You certainly need to let us know how you like it!

[video:youtube]

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

That's very cool. To have a student show his appreciation like that must be very gratifying.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Classy! Looks like a really nice bass, too! My 30th b-day is rapidly approaching and I am thinking of treating myself to a Squier Precision. So far my eye has been on the Classic Vibe '50s but this one looks very interesting, too!

I'm with Nick, you have to let us know how you like it!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Wow, that is very cool Jeremy! For Matt to personally bring one over is very special! It looks like a really nice bass too! Congrats! Reminds me of my old p-bass I used to have years ago. So, how's it play and sound?

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Most very cool! I looked at the ad on Musicians Friend, and that is a very interesting bass. Given my choice, I like the looks of the black one, but given the bass, I'd accept the white one with a very grateful smile!

Could you post a close-up shot of the bridge? Apparently, it's one of the key features of the signature design.

I think it's interesting that Fender is putting so much into developing the Squier line. I wonder why they are pushing the lower priced instruments?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Um, it's the economy...? :-)

Congrats to Jeremy, and what a gift from a student!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Could you post a close-up shot of the bridge? Apparently, it's one of the key features of the signature design.

the picture is now in the first post of the thread.

Looks like the saddles are made of brass and they have tracks to slide in which were not features of the '74 bass that this was modeled on. Matt probably did that later. He was hoping that Fender would get the finish a little yellower as of course his bass has aged, but it's still pretty close.

I finally played the bass today. It's a great rock bass and has more bite than many P basses that I've owned or played. The neck is great.....beautiful action right out of the box with no adjustments necessary (other than tuning). There's no buzzing anywhere and sometimes I play on the hard side. I don't tend to use volume controls; I control the volume with my right hand touch. The neck is actually two pieces of wood: a maple neck with a maple fingerboard.

I'm taking a break from gigging while I rehab from my operation, but when I play this bass with a band, I'll give another report.

Generally I have played Jazz basses live and P basses in the studio. I'll give it a studio test too.

That is awesome!

Your student has been making quite a stir and his band has been doing very well. It is a real testament to his character that he still appreciates and acknowledges his teacher.

Congrats on the new bass Jeremy!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Very nice.

I was looking at that bass on Squier's site- I like the black one. I've always liked the black w/ maple look.

According to the specs, it has a custom wound pickup, the high-mass bridge and a synthetic bone nut. I'd really like to try one out.

It's really cool that he stopped by to give you one.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

It's ugly. What a lousy gift. :D

Sounds like a nice gesture from a righteous dude.

Congrats, Jeremy!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 2 months later...
freakin' awesome. Matt is one of those players that has got his own signature sound, he seems like a decent guy, as well.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Name dropper... :P:D

That's really great, Jeremy. It must be a good feeling to see one of your students make a name for himself- and remember where he came from.

So when is the Squier Jeremy C series going to come out? ;)

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I can only imagine how proud you are of your student, Jeremy. Matt's playing is awesome, and the fact that he remembers where he came from is a testament to the kind of guy he is. And BTW, I LOVE that Rancid album. It's probably my favorite record of theirs. Matt's solo on "Maxwell murder" is just awesome!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Matt's solo on Maxwell Murder is legend. That is a great album.

I raised my kids right. I remember my two year old son sitting in his car seat singing Time Bomb. He would just sing the chorus and didn't quite have the lyrics down. "My dad, my mom, my dad Cadillac. Boys a time bomb".

Push the button Frank.

• 3 weeks later...
What is up with Squire and not making these basses available in a 5 string?? If they did, I would own at least a couple for fun!

That would be very cool as I wouldn't mind getting a 5 string p-bass that doesn't cost a fortune.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived