Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need others advise on selection of a keyboard here

sbrinaz

I have a main keyboard that is 88 key weighted action etc...I am looking for a second keyboard that is non weighted (76 or 64 key is fine). Main thing looking for is really great organ sounds (Hammond, B3) where possibly using a controller pedal I can control say a leslie sound going in and out. Also a keyboard that would appear easy to look up sounds...used is fine...not just looking for organ sound but overall sounds (don't need piano or guitar sounds).

If the keyboard can have the ability to back up things if needed..I don't need a sequencer etc....

Hopefully that helps enough...in the research phase but don't know where to start so some thoughts here could spark things.

Steve

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Steve.

First thing . . . . . What is your budget? That generally dictates everything else!

If Hammond sounds are the primary objective, then that would suggest a clonewheel, however the "other" sounds will likely suffer. Typical "other" sounds would suggest you want a rompler, but Hammond patchs are usually the weaker sounds in most romplers.

Can you be more specific in the "other" sounds you're looking for?

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Hi Steve, +1 on what Meisenhower said about budget, but at first glance, since organ sounds are important to you, I'd suggest a Nord Electro 3 in either 73 or 61-key flavours. Solid organ modelling and a well-established and varied sample library of other sounds.

Otherwise, I guess it's rompler time - maybe a Kurz PC361?

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Besides the Nord Electro 3 and Kurzweil PC361 that have been mentioned, the other current possibility would be a Roland VR-700. And soon to be available: Hammond SK-1, Korg Kronos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived