Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CP5 update

Aidan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something to try when a piano sounds bad in mono is to use the right jack, rather than the "left/mono" jack. Usually, left is summed; right is right. Many pianos that sound bad in summed sound fine when taking one side. Also, if it's player perspective, where higher notes tend to the right, the right side is the one you'd want anyway.

Yeah, but when you're playing rock and roll or boogie woogie type stuff, the bottom end disappears. Maybe there's a way to program a performance or split or whatever that pans the lower half of the split to the right. Still, it's a stupid problem that manufacturers create for themselves and for their potential customers. It's a stage piano. It should work in mono. Period.

You can do a split mono on the CP-5 but I'm pretty sure you'll need to sum it in an external mixer.

- Take a stereo piano program and apply it to a left and right split with the spit point around middle C.

- Hard pan the left and right within the CP-5.

- Route the outputs (L+R) to individual channels on a mixer and pan center.

- Now the bass and treble will be of equal strength as you're hearing only the mic over that section.

My take is this is preferable to sum-to-mono which ALWAYS introduces phasing issues I don't care what anyone says.

Busch.

I'm going to try BurningBush's idea on my CP-50, I am experiencing similar concerns to Aiden's in regards to the LH volume in a moderately loud live gig situation. There seems to be a drop off in amplitude (or something going on) an octave below middle C or so. A shelf.

i have tweaked my CP50 quit a bit and am diggin it alot more but spent alot of time with it and layered AP patches and detuned or chorused to get movement in the tone. But the shelf still seems to be there. My CP33 and the P series doesn't do that!

I use A JBL Eon G2 when I play louder gigs in Mono with CP50. Stereo seems better in terms of the bass drop off but that's at home without a band, wonder if I brought my stereo rig out if I would experience the same thing?

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Something to try when a piano sounds bad in mono is to use the right jack, rather than the "left/mono" jack. Usually, left is summed; right is right. Many pianos that sound bad in summed sound fine when taking one side. Also, if it's player perspective, where higher notes tend to the right, the right side is the one you'd want anyway.

Yeah, but when you're playing rock and roll or boogie woogie type stuff, the bottom end disappears. Maybe there's a way to program a performance or split or whatever that pans the lower half of the split to the right. Still, it's a stupid problem that manufacturers create for themselves and for their potential customers. It's a stage piano. It should work in mono. Period.
Agreed, but we don't know that the right side sounds bad without trying it.

If the panning is built into the samples (due to being close miked in stereo), there's no way to fix it with programming. If it's mono samples panned along the keyboard, that sounds like complete crap and works better in mono to begin with.

Archived